New Viper Gen5 Concept Art

Ratrod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I decided to put pen to paper and come up with some ideas for Gen5. I'm a design engineer in Detroit working for one of the 'new domestic' auto makers. I spend most of my time designing parts for minivans and cross-overs. But of course day dreaming about the next Viper is much more fun! Ralph Gilles, if you're reading this and you need a consultant, I'm not far from Auburn Hills! ha ha!

I have a 97 GTS (65K miles and counting), which was always my favorite Viper, until the SRT ACRs showed up! Now i have to start saving my pennies again! So in designing the new Viper i tried to pull a little from the GTS and the SRT. I wanted to get a little more 'hotrod' back into the car.

The front of course has the Dodge 'cross-hair' grille. But i centered it between a pair of large brake ducts. (i think they look cool, but also, I'm probably compensating for my 'weak' GTS brakes on the track) I kept the same basic headlamp shape, but turned them up to look a little more mean.

The side view keeps with classic side cove scoop, i just pushed it forward and made it more 'swoopy' than the SRT. The roofline is probably the biggest change i wanted to add. Instead of having the tight 'C' pillar roof; with the pillar right behind the door, i added a rear quarter window. This allows the 'C' pillar to sweep back in a more fastback style (which i love). This will also provide us Viper pilots with better visibility.

The rear of the car is changed very little. Just like there is little difference between the back of the GTS and the SRT, i found little room for improvement. So i didn't change anything here.

I have attached my pencil sketches, please enjoy. I can take your critisms, art is subjective. Hopefully this will help drum up enough interest in Gen5 to get momentum rolling on the 'real' developement!

You must be registered for see images attach

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Love it ! Seems to have the best features of the early and later Vipers accented with a dash of Ford GT or something. Might be a strech to get the V10 in there so would probably need a few more inches of hood length...

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work...:2tu:

IF....:( it comes out, the Gen 5 will be different.
I'm very anxious to see what it will actually look like.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're first drawing of it is definitely the best one. I loved the way you designed it, not only does it have the traditional lines of the Viper, but the rear end where you added the rear quarter window reminds me of Ferrari styling, which I definitely think makes the car look very sleek and exotic.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to sabotage this thread by anymeans, but it made me think of another thread in the past and was curious if anyone remembers it... Does someone remember a thread where a member on this forum drew his own version of what he thought the next Viper could look like? I forget if it was a newer GEN he was drawing a mock-up of, or just his own imagination on another style Viper in general, but it was drawn on a napkin. From what I remember, it was also pretty good..

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the side profile and the rear, but the front definitely needs to be different. The headlights/fenders are very Elise-ish.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to sabotage this thread by anymeans, but it made me think of another thread in the past and was curious if anyone remembers it... Does someone remember a thread where a member on this forum drew his own version of what he thought the next Viper could look like? I forget if it was a newer GEN he was drawing a mock-up of, or just his own imagination on another style Viper in general, but it was drawn on a napkin. From what I remember, it was also pretty good..
Your right it was on a napkin and the guy was really good and had a great concept idea. It was about 2-3 years ago on here and got a lot of play.

OP
OP
R

Ratrod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So how many "New Domestic Auto Makers" are there ?

"New Domestic" is the politically correct auto industry term for Japanese Automakers. Since most of them have design/engineering in Detroit area and manufacture their cars/trucks in North America, they coined the phrase "new Domestic".

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to be honest, I dont care for it. Sorry. You can draw better than most, but you dont seem to have "car designer" drawing skills. Your concept looks too much like other cars. IMO, it needs to be more fresh rather than a collection of many other already-in-production features. Just my opinion of course.

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a potential evolution of the Viper. The rear looks almost exactly like the current coupe offerings and the front is 599 meets SRT10. I do like the GTS inspired curves out back and on top though.

Street Serpent

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to take away your thread but to add to it,what do y'all think about this Viper concept???

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbEj987Ydg[/media]

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reminds me of this...

http://www.detailshop.com/rides/JIMS%20VETTE.bmp

and the one in the video is WAY to busy looking. We need to take a step back in design, not copy other cars.

--RS

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember it, and after a quick search, I think I found it! Sadly, only one of the pictures is still up.
http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/623075-i-wonder-what-gen-5-would-look-like.html

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The video car looks like the OP's drawing but with a longer hood. There's something Z4 about the side of the video car too. The car in the drawings is a bit more true to the original Vipers but I would make room in my garage for either.

Not to take away your thread but to add to it,what do y'all think about this Viper concept???

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbEj987Ydg[/media]

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a decent looking car but not striking/aggresive enough. I like my concept better...if only i had your drawing skills I could share my vision with the world!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth