"Might as well,..since you're in there"

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I was waiting to get my new engine back, I thought it would be a good time to get a roll bar installed.
So, I met with the chasis fabricator to get a custom 6 point....

Well, like the title states, it got a little carried away.

After some lengthy discussions regarding the car's HP, we decided to install a 10 pt cage...
Next topic was traction. After looking at the possibilities, it was decided to remove the IRS diff. I went with a Mittler Bros/jerry Bickel chromoly 9 inch straight axle.

Next was to fit the new solid axle diff. housing in the car. Of course it didn't fit. It hit the gas tank....
Soooo... we removed the gas tank in favor of a custom alum. fuel cell.
"While we were in there", we decided to remove the rear inner fenders to fit even more tire under the car.

I know... :omg::omg::omg:

Next were the tire/wheel sizes. I wanted to run "large" DRs so we decided to use 5 lug -15 inch wheels...

This meant changing the brakes, spindles, shocks and springs....

I am waiting to hear back from STRANGE ENG. regarding the delivery date of the matching front assembly. It will be a custom build since they told me that they haven't fitted a Viper before....:dunno:

Next... Fit the tires wheels under the car to get measurements to cut axle housings and get "gun barrel" axles made to fit.

Yes, that is the floorboard laying on the ground under the car....
It was cut out to install more frame bracing and to get more access to install the new 2 speed auto transmission.
This is another angle.

That is where I am at today with quite a bit to go.

And to think, this started out as a simple roll bar install until,..

"might as well, since you're in there"....:dunno:

I can't lie, I LOVE every minute of it....:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since yo're going with a full cage it sure would lighten the car if you built a 'REAL' tube chassis. I presume that you're remounting your original rear coil over shocks? 4 link susp?

Too bad that the bottom of the body has to be above the level of the rims as that looks like very tall tires. Maybe the extra height in the rear would help downforce at high speeds and you might was to add some diffusers and rear spoiler? I used to build full chassis cars and loved it. Good luck and keep posting pics.

Ted

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since yo're going with a full cage it sure would lighten the car if you built a 'REAL' tube chassis. I presume that you're remounting your original rear coil over shocks? 4 link susp?

Too bad that the bottom of the body has to be above the level of the rims as that looks like very tall tires. Maybe the extra height in the rear would help downforce at high speeds and you might was to add some diffusers and rear spoiler? I used to build full chassis cars and loved it. Good luck and keep posting pics.

Ted

We are completely "backhalfing" the car. If you look at the photo looking at the interior from the rear, you can see the cut off frame, In other words, the entire back of the car suspension will be tube chasis.

"...4 link susp?"
Yes, I am using a 4-link suspension. I went last night to look at the drawings for the custom 4 link brackets. The chasis builder, Scott Griffin (Griffin Racecraft) is designing some brackets that he will make on his CNC machine. He is incorporating all kinds of holes and adjustments for suspension tuning.

'I presume that you're remounting your original rear coil over shocks?"
I am using STRANGE adjustable, coilover shocks, brakes and axles.

"Too bad that the bottom of the body has to be above the level of the rims as that looks like very tall tires."
Keep in mind Ted that the bumper and sidesills aren't on the car in these photos. it will look a lot different when put back together. Those are big tires and the builder is making wheel wells to accomodate them. It's hard to see in these photos but he has already cut out 2-3 inches behind the seat to fit more tire.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be pretty insane when complete! What's going to power it? I hope the engine is/will be equally impressive! I assume you're looking to lay down some serious numbers, correct? It would be a shame to go through all of this just for the "pro street" look...

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be pretty insane when complete! What's going to power it? I hope the engine is/will be equally impressive! I assume you're looking to lay down some serious numbers, correct? It would be a shame to go through all of this just for the "pro street" look...

Got it covered, I think..... for now;)

All forged, billett, Strikers, new KB 2.8, 2 stage Nos, Custom CO2 "intercooling" system and "stuff"...
All going through a 'glide. In process of trying to figure stall speed for converter now. Also going over transmission gear ratios in comparison to rear diff. gear ratios. This is hard to figure because the new engine hasn't been installed yet and not sure exactly what to expect since we are dumping a bunch of "nos" on a new blower.....

"Timing" of the NOS will be critical with all the SC torque right away. The drivetrain gear ratio will be critical to control this.

Last edited:

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You going to drive or is someone else? Obviously building a beast. Can't wait to see it done. Just make sure you take your time getting used to the car when that time comes. Totally different driving something capable of what you're doing. I'd personally recommend, if you have the time, doing Roy Hill's driving school. We used to host them for him at the track I used to own. He has an old pro stock car that would be perfect for you to go through. Would also allow you to get your NHRA license so nobody gives you lip when running it. Just a thought. Good luck!

Griffin1001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind in the photo with the tires under it, they will go up deeper into the body. That was still in mock up process. The rear suspension will not be a normal 4 link system. The brackets are cut and being installed on the housing now. I will give more details soon. Gotta get down to the shop now.:)

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You going to drive or is someone else? Obviously building a beast. Can't wait to see it done. Just make sure you take your time getting used to the car when that time comes. Totally different driving something capable of what you're doing. I'd personally recommend, if you have the time, doing Roy Hill's driving school. We used to host them for him at the track I used to own. He has an old pro stock car that would be perfect for you to go through. Would also allow you to get your NHRA license so nobody gives you lip when running it. Just a thought. Good luck!

Thanks and that is the second most important thing I am thinking about beside building the car.
I will be driving and that is one very important aspect that I am thinking about now. I WILL NOT get behind the wheel without some serious instruction.

This project is/has been changing very quickly. I am not joking when I say that I literally dropped the car off a month ago to get a 6 pt. installed,.... while waiting for the engine to be completed....:dunno:

This has happened to me before...... :rolaugh:

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks and that is the second most important thing I am thinking about beside building the car.
I will be driving and that is one very important aspect that I am thinking about now. I WILL NOT get behind the wheel without some serious instruction.

This project is/has been changing very quickly. I am not joking when I say that I literally dropped the car off a month ago to get a 6 pt. installed,.... while waiting for the engine to be completed....:dunno:

This has happened to me before...... :rolaugh:

Man you are crazy but this is the best tread ever!
I would love to come and see it...keep posting pictures and
keep us up to date, this is too good to let die. :2tu:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn...Mike has been feeding me pics of this via text message for weeks but seeing some of the other progress is beyond insane. Better bring that bad **** out to VOI for some runs in "Mexico" :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you going to keep it street legal?

I used to run treaded Outlaw tires on my Pro Street Arrow. Use a razor blade to remove the raised letters, "Not for highway use" :). Highway laws state that the wheel rims must be the lowest part of the car (except the exhaust in most cases). That's what I was referring to in my previous post.

I miss my Pro Streeters! Sounds like it won't be long before you set a new Roe blower record! One of our members has a Hemi Procomp Viper in Edmonton. Probably nothing like yours but if you want any info from him send me a PM and I'll send you his email add.

Wishing you the best on this project as does everyone I'm sure!

Ted

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn...Mike has been feeding me pics of this via text message for weeks but seeing some of the other progress is beyond insane. Better bring that bad **** out to VOI for some runs in "Mexico" :D

I'm probably bringing the TT. Can you see driving this car on an autoX, or a roadcourse.... or any of the other events beside drag racing at VOI...:lmao:

Roy Hills Drag Racing School

I'm serious, best money you'll ever spend. Tell him Mike McCandless sent you. He's a little quarky to deal with, but the experience is priceless given what you need.

I'm serious too. I will look into this school as well as some others. Thanks.

Now that I'm a little older, my testoserone doesn't over rule my common sense....

...as often, anyway

Unlike the majority I realize how much all this is going to cost you.

Your a brave man.

No wife, no kids, no bills.... No worries..:dunno:

Wow you have problems :) I love it..

How's your "project" coming along? I'll keep you posted as to when the tuner is coming in.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep me posted. I have been working on other projects and will have to start back up on it again soon.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, make that 215 Sapphire GTS's. :lmao: ;)

On a serious note, VERY COOL. That looks like it is going to be one very sick fun car. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21