Door Panel 'Soft plastic'

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other day I was working on the car and must have gotten a chemical on that soft plastic that surrounds the inside door handle....well now the coating or texture is starting to peel off. :mad:
Any ideas how to repair this or at least clean it up a bit?
Do I just Goo Gone it?? I really want the factory appearance but don't want to have to buy an entire door panel just because of this annoyance.

Reaction score
The rubberized coating is not really repairable. I have seen people remove it all with good results. I have a small part missing low on drivers side vent area that bugs me also.

OP
OP
F

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rubberized coating is not really repairable. I have seen people remove it all with good results. I have a small part missing low on drivers side vent area that bugs me also.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing....okay, well thanks for chiming in.
If anyone else has an idea please feel free to do the same.

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That soft rubber coating on my center console and on each of my inside door opener handle bezels is peeling too. I tried a little paint thinner on a spot, but it messed up the hard plastic underneath. Any ideas on how to remove this crap.. or is there a reasonably priced center console after market piece. And inside door opener bezel covers?

Last edited:

Chasetexas22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine home from the gym and had some sweat on my forearm where it touched the console bezel, came out the next morning and the rubberized coating was bubbled up where a drop of sweat had set overnight. Does anything make the coating easier to peel off without damaging the plastic underneath (besides sweat!)?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, plasti-dip might make a reasonable replacement for the factory stuff. It has a similar rubberized texture and sheen, though it can vary based on application technique. I have a crack and a small spot missing on my door handle as well and have thought about trying out refinishing that one little piece to see how close it matches the factory finish on the instrument surround. My center console was already painted when I bought the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth