Gen II - A/C went out.... ???

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone send me the link, I tried to do a search and can't find it.

My AC stopped blowing cold, I'm sure it just needs to be recharged... I was reading about a $4 rubber grommet that needed to be replaced? I don't want to recharge the AC to have it go out next year....

Thanks for any assistance!

:2tu::2tu::2tu:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The area is easily accessable from under the car. I removed each of the lines (single bolt on each and removed the black o-ring on each line.

I replaced them with o-rings from a pack I got at Autozone. Pack has enough to do this repair 3 times. Be sure and keep the line tips clean when replacing. This is what I bought:
picture.php

picture.php

Here are the two I used 13.8x2.5, 13.7x1.9:
picture.php

Recharged system and has been good for 2 years so far!

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That is exactly what I was looking for....

I put in everything in my search, A/C air condition, $4, etc... and it didn't come up.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The area is easily accessable from under the car. I removed each of the lines (single bolt on each and removed the black o-ring on each line.

I replaced them with o-rings from a pack I got at Autozone. Pack has enough to do this repair 3 times. Be sure and keep the line tips clean when replacing. This is what I bought:
picture.php

picture.php

Here are the two I used 13.8x2.5, 13.7x1.9:
picture.php

Recharged system and has been good for 2 years so far!

I have the same granite...LOL
You must be registered for see images

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You can certainly charge with the little cans if you wish, however, if you have an empty system, and go to add freon, you will also have lots of air and moisture in the system. By having a professional do the recharge, you would be doing yourself a favor. Some of the ac system oils will become acidic in the presence of water, and that could do damage to your system from the inside out, also, by having a pro do the work, they will vac the system down to 30 inches of vacuum, I usually do this and hold it for a hour to be sure that I boil all of the moisture out of the system and get all the air out. After doing this, the recharge will work much better since you'll have a "clean" system and the charge volume will be more exact. Do this right and you'll be able to hang meat in your interior. Just my 2c.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my A/C is dead to. Where under the car should I be looking for the place to replace the O-rings?

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update... had the AC recharged professionally. Original O-rings were good... no oil residue. Ice cold again!

Thanks again Steve!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did mine three days ago. Vaccuum tested (no leaks) and a full recharge (30 oz) and it's cold again.

I was told to run the A/C at least once month for 10-15 minutes to keep this problem from happening again.

:usa:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update... had the AC recharged professionally. Original O-rings were good... no oil residue. Ice cold again!

Thanks again Steve!

No problem man, glad we got it all square with no issues. Well............. except your "new friend" who wanted to sit in your car. :rolaugh:

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my AC system recharged twice. The first time the dealer just added dye so that we could find the leak later. When it ran out again, I took it to DC and they replaced a line. By the time summer rolled around again, the AC was no longer blowing cold... again. :( I'm gonna be peeved if the whole time it was two little o-rings... Had the car for three years and the AC has only worked for a couple months during that time.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my AC system recharged twice. The first time the dealer just added dye so that we could find the leak later. When it ran out again, I took it to DC and they replaced a line. By the time summer rolled around again, the AC was no longer blowing cold... again. :( I'm gonna be peeved if the whole time it was two little o-rings... Had the car for three years and the AC has only worked for a couple months during that time.

My friend just went through this with his Viper and it turned out to be the o-rings. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix you.

paxtu22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my car in april and the A/C did not work. Charged and added dye, o-rings where leaking. Recovered and replaced o-rings. Recharged and all has been good.
If anyone is near Chitown and needs help with there A/C, I can give them a hand. I bought an A/C machine and can help you out.

Eric

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is better to repair this when you are using the car during the summer so the oil and dye are cycled throughout the system. Replace the o-rings (simple first) clean everything and a week later inspect the two hoses going the compressor where the aluminum joins the rubber part of the line. They are just as bad for leaking in this area as the o-rings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21