They totaled my Viper today

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like at least two people will lose their jobs now...:omg:

I can't believe that a guy from the dealer would be dumb enough to post the story on the internet. Wait a minute... Yes I can believe it... This speaks for itself about not all but certainly some of the idiots working at these places.

Found this on the VTCOA. Is this the same car? If so may be helpful in putting a case together.

Our body shop wrecked a customers Viper today - Viper Truck Club of America

Bruce

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he had some type of non disclosure agreement in place with his employer and taking the pics on property were forbidden by that agreement then yes he is probably toast. Otherwise, they'd be a fool to set themselves up for a second lawsuit by the guy that posted the story.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone needs to copy that thread quick before it disappears.......

Screen cap too !

V

Venomiss

One more thing.
Make sure and check with your insurance company and theirs and get a comparable rental today. Their insurance should pay for it.

That means something as nice as the viper. When they are paying rental on another vehicle while yours is in limbo it makes them work faster to get a settlement.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of this b.s.

This isn't going to go well with the insurance company from either side. You'll be lucky to get the most basic of replacement "market" value from either side. There will be many delays (the longer they wait, the more frustrated you'll get and more likely to settle for the lesser amount). The dealership will keep telling you that it's in their "insurance company's hands" and tell you to contact them. You're insurance will magically start to really **** from the customer service side.

Here is what you do...do not wait to hear from either insurance company with an answer. Get a lawyer NOW. Once you have a lawyer, do not communicate with the dealership, let them only contact your lawyer. Then get the car in your possession in its wrecked state and put it on a trailer. Have your lawyer send them a letter stating how much you want for the damages (has to be semi reasonable) and that the deal has to be settled in 48 hours. They won't do squat. After 48 hours, start a campaign showing the wrecked Viper around town with a sign stating what was caused by said dealer. After about 4 days of this, then let the local newspaper do an article on this lack of customer service. After about 1 week, let the local TV news do a report on what happened. Make sure your lawyer knows what you're doing and not to overstep your bounds or to do anything that could hurt your case. (you don't want to get sued)

Having a wrecked Viper parked across the street from the dealership with a big sign stating how this happened will really help get the ball moving. Hell, I'd even post it on myspace, craigslist, twitter and do a Youtube video of it. Once the Youtube video is done, get it on the internet car forums and let it go viral. You can also do a website called lakenormandodgesucks.com and post the whole ordeal on that....then go viral with that on the internet forums. Post a day to day discription of the stalling, lies and lack of service and responsibility. People will follow this better than a soap opera.

If done right, you'll get a fair replacement value for your Viper and maybe even get to sell them the domain website of lakenormandodgesucks.com for a little extra spending money :smirk:

If the dealership can't take care of a Viper, how do you think they're treating your wifes minivan?? That is the feeling you want to convey. God, I'd hate to be that dealership right now.

Good luck, this isn't going to be easy and will take much longer than anyone promises you. You have to take action immediately, even if they promise you something, unless the check is in your bank it don't mean squat. Stick to your guns and stick it to them if they don't settle timely. It may cost you a few bucks, but the money spent will make you feel better knowing you're at least doing something to hurt those that damaged your property and not take responsibility for it.

Cheers,
George

Sorry for your loss. Like everyone else said, this *****!

This is the best advise here so far! Trust me this will work.

BTW, I hope the kid driving the car is alright.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought.

If you told them NOT to take it off the lot and they did, can they be charged with theft?

If they do get charged with theft - what's easier for you to deal with in terms of insurance coverage. Their negligence or their theft of your vehicle?

Greg

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This seems to say it all (page 2 of the forum thread, posted by the tech):

"Me, My service manager, the owner of the dealership, the body shop manager, the police department all cut his ass. He gave us all a bad rep and ********** a good customer. He had no business driving the car, he isnt a tech merely a writer. No reason to drive the car for a hood install
You must be registered for see images
"

Certainly looks like the dealership subcontracted the hood install to a body shop, and that's when it all went sour.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought.

If you told them NOT to take it off the lot and they did, can they be charged with theft?

If they do get charged with theft - what's easier for you to deal with in terms of insurance coverage. Their negligence or their theft of your vehicle?

Greg

There is no act of theft nor the will or intent to commit a criminal act. They are a legitimate business and were in the process of performing a service and screwed up by damaging someone else's property. This is strictly a civil matter. The main thing is making sure that the situation is fully resolved and that can only happen if the actual value (depreciated value or the value of the vehicle prior to the accident) can be recovered.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's truly unfortunate. If you read that thread you'll see that the dealer is trying to blame the body shop that they don't own, they outsource to them. One wouldn't think it takes a body shop to install a hood. Since you told them "do not drive my car" and they allowed someone to drive it, I would certainly think they are both liable. They also said that the driver wasn't a kid. I guess that would classify the driver as *****.

This is exactly the reason I do 100% of my own work. If I can't do it then it may not get done or I'll have to call in someone I trust to help me. I supply the beer and pizza of course.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can blame all they want but in the end they own the relationship with the customer to get the work done.

Bruce

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the thread:

"Thats how i felt when i rolled up on the accident, its in the hands of the body shop. My shop isnt at fault thank god "

***?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sincerest condolences on your loss, Keith. Cars can be replaced, but labors of love have no replacement. Hit them with a full legal broadside.

On the other hand, the angels will solve some of the personal problems between you and the dealer/driver much faster and for a fraction of the cost. :dunno:

Looking forward to a happier day... I know you will enjoy the next Viper even more.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Viper owners lose becuase of Morons like this guy. It's just more fodder for the insurance actuaries :talkto chew on and it somewhat dimishes the experience of ownership knowing that some pea-brain idiot :tz:is just looming out there ready to wreck your car.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One wouldn't think it takes a body shop to install a hood. Since you told them "do not drive my car" and they allowed someone to drive it, I would certainly think they are both liable. .

They are both liable but the dealership is liable to the owner of the vehicle because it appears that the contract was between the owner and the dealership (the dealership can go after the body shop in a separate civil case).

Unfortunately, these things happen all the time with other types of cars. It is just stupid on the dealership's part to put an unexperienced driver behind the wheel of a Viper and allow that person to drive it on an open road (what if the guy crashed into someone else and killed them). What's even more stupid is that they could have had the owner take the car to the body shop himself if it absolutely had to go there.

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Un-F#@&ing believable:mad: That's bullsh--

So sorry to hear that BM1, good luck.:smirk:

I have my Viper (which I bought from Lake Norman Dodge) at my local dealer now for oil change & tires and they asked if they can keep it till Wednesday to wait on the tires. I said no thanks, I'll pick it up and bring it back on Wednesday.:nono:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing.
Make sure and check with your insurance company and theirs and get a comparable rental today. Their insurance should pay for it.

That means something as nice as the viper. When they are paying rental on another vehicle while yours is in limbo it makes them work faster to get a settlement.

From my past dealings with insurance companies they are not responsible for giving you a comparable vehicle. Only transportation. When someone rear ended my Super Duty and it needed a new bumper and slight paint work (the minivan needed a front clip LOL) I told their insurance I wanted another truck. They said unless I used the truck for business all they were responsible for was getting me a set of wheels. And it sure wasn't a Super Duty, those temporary wheels.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You gotta cache that page ASAP!!!

The Viper Truck post won't necessarily help the claim because it is evident (and obvious) that the dealership is at fault and is therefore, liable. The main issue from here is how much money the car is worth and how it long will it take.

Last edited:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its unbelievable how often we hear of things like this.

It shouldn't be that much to ask that a dealership be respectful of someone elses property.

Back when I had an SRT4, I had solid motor mounts in it, and the car was making about 350hp. I brought it in for an oil change, and when I picked it up, one of my SOLID mounts was snapped in half!? How hard do you have to beat on a car to do that?? And the dealership denied all responsability and claimed it mustve been broke when I brought it in. Now its no totalled car, but it goes to show you the total lack of respect that some dealers have.

Sorry to hear about your tremendous loss, hopefully you'll come out ahead on this one!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way that I handle life is;
1. find out if the problem will be fixed first. (Sounds like the dealership wants to make the situation right).

2. start fighting ... if they Dealership doesn't get on the sitation immediately.

I think that a lawsuit would probably be a mistake and it's completely uncalled for at this time. Unfotunately accidents do happen.

Seeing the pics on the Truck forum it looks like it's easily fixable. I couldn't see the bottom or the front, but the pics show the trees took out the rear quarter and the front fender only. Since a bodyshop wrecked it they'll probably be fixing it right now?

I'm hoping that it can be fixed easily.

If the car does get fixed I'd be asking for that supercharger to be installed when you get the car back. Just to cover the loss in value since your car now has been in an accident. Make sense?

Ted

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is completely the dealers situation...once he pays for the Viper the dealer can then go after the bodyshop for damages.

I can't believe that the dealers employee is posting about this :omg:

Maybe he's working at the dealership to pay for his law school :rolaugh:

Go after the dealer immediately..don't let up. Time is not on your side.

Hopefully the driver was not hurt, just an idiot.

Cheers,
George