Corsa Exhaust with High Flow Cats vs Stock Exhaust with Muffler Delete and HF Cat

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need your advise viper owners! I have a 97 GTS. I have a stock exhaust that was modified with muffler deletes before i purchased it. Sounds pretty good but I want it louder. I'm planing on installing high flow cats in the very near future. FYI I'm not interested in doing a cat delete. My question is would it really make a huge power difference if I do a corsa exhaust that is 3 inch with a 3 inch high flow cat verse keeping the stock diameter with a high flow cat and no muffler. The drone does not bother me so thats out the door. I'm just trying to figure out is it worth dropping $2000 or should I just buy the 2.5 inch high flow cat and put the money some place else in the car. Sound is important to me I want to awaken the beast would it be louder with corsa??? It does have a muffler and mine currently does not. Also what about back pressure, its not supercharged or anything like that, its a stock motor that will be getting smooth tubes and high flow filter. I have heard of power loss because of too much flow in the area of the exhaust...please share your thought with this new viper owner!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search feature is a terrible thing to waste.

There are no huge gains from exhaust alone.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Johnny,

I would just buy the hi-flow cats and be done with it. The best sound in my opinion, is high-flow cats, no side resonators with rear mufflers.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried the search feature and after about an hour of reading postings and not finding exactly the information I was looking for I decided it warranted a post.

Thanks for the info Cratica

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with a 2.5" to 3" adapter coming off the header pipe so I could use a 3" Hi-flow cat which then connected to the 3" corsa exhaust. Sounded awesome, and I dyno'd 415RWHP with that setup on an otherwise stock engine (2001 ACR). I don't have a 'before' baseline, so don't know what the gains were.

Regarding using the search function, put the word "and" between your search words, i.e. rather than searching for "Corsa Exhaust cat power gain", search for "Corsa and Exhaust and cat and power and gain".

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really wanted the Corsa exhaust on my GTS, but went with the Borla since it was about $600 less. Then spent $100 for muffler shop to add a crossover pipe behind the rear end to knock out some of the cruising drone. Went with 2 1/2 inch. I would say the power gain was minimal.

My car sounds good, but not really loud. If you want loud, do the HF cats and leave off the mufflers. I would think the Corsa would make your car much more quiet than it is now with no mufflers.

Reaction score
The Corsa exhaust is the ONLY one that will make your Viper sound better without causing a booming drone inside during cruising. Even though a cheaper solution is available and may sound great outside you have to be able to live with the noise inside. That is unless you never drive the Viper for long periods at a time.

Plus the Corsa looks GREAT and the tips are second to nothing.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drove it 590 miles home the day I bought it :).....i did notice a bit of drone but it was minimal and honestly did not mind it at all...i think it adds to the experiance of the viper in my own opinion, I do love the tips on the corsa. Will high flow cats add to the drone or just make may car louder on the outside and by how much?

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2001 GTS I changed to exhaust to Belanger with side exit exhaust system using high flow Cats......Sadly I was disappointed with the drone and resinance. It became much worse with the window up. Less than 6 month, I could not stand it. It was so bad, I change the mufflers to Corsa and never looked back ......so much better sound with no drone at any RPM.
Corsa with high flow.....is the only way to go.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belangers, Corsa 3" and RT highflow cats. I love the system, and don't have any resonance. I installed the Belangers last, and drove it with stock exhaust for about 6 months before making the mod. Didn't notice a tremendous difference in volume, but more of a deeper tone.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa with Hi Flo on both mine. Great sound and no drone.
I have been in a Viper with Borla and Hi Flo and at about 2500-3000 RPM the drone was brutal, it's no joke.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, sounds like you want performance and the sound to go with it. Add Headers to your list.
They are needed to fully utilize the flow of a full 3" system. and sound awesome.:2tu:

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another vote here for Corsa with high flow cats and headers if you can do it. You can listen to my pre and post Belanger header and Corsa cat back videos below.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmpbTorL4I[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2fMhDBbus[/media]

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks DanielR thats a great comparison! Before and after sound clips/videos are great!!!! From the video you can definitely heard the sound chance but I'm sure it is not carrying over all the sound, how much louder percentage wise did the change make and the deep tone difference? I'm certain my wimpy computer speakers are not reproducing the sound correctly.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks DanielR thats a great comparison! Before and after sound clips/videos are great!!!! From the video you can definitely heard the sound chance but I'm sure it is not carrying over all the sound, how much louder percentage wise did the change make and the deep tone difference? I'm certain my wimpy computer speakers are not reproducing the sound correctly.

I'd say adding the headers and high flow cats made it 25% - 30% louder. You can really hear the cam after adding the headers and high flow cats. The sound was actually deeper with just the Corsa, but sounded choked compared to the current setup.