06 or 08

stew4706

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am finally ready to pull the trigger and buy my first Viper and I am torn between buying an 06 or an 08. There is about $10 - 15K difference and I know there are significant differences between the two so what do you reccomend?

Thanks,
Stew

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you, thought about it a lot and if money is not an issue you should seriously go with a 2008. I was looking for a 2006, but decided to spend the extra money and go with a 2008. You have warranty, extra power better tranny and better suspension. Unless you want to modd the viper then go for 2006, have not yet purchased mine hopefully by the end of summer I will find one.

Best of luck

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to track the car, run it in the 1/4 mile, do standing mile competitions, ect ect ect get the 08. It is a better performing car when pushed at higher limits. If you don't plan on seeing triple digit mph #' s very often, save you money and get the 06. There isn't much difference between them under 100 mph, but over 100 mph the gen IV's are in another class.

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned both GenIII and GenIV cars.
Gen III = fast
Gen IV = hyper fast
The only way the GenIII is better is, no e-throttle.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned both GenIII and GenIV cars.
Gen III = fast
Gen IV = hyper fast
The only way the GenIII is better is, no e-throttle.

x2 and add the belangers...they are worth the money!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of both an 06 & 08 well worth the $$$$...
06 / VOI Viper
08 ACR

You'd be the first to drive either one.

Dolomight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the same boat I have about 10 more months in Afghanistan so I will keep resreaching but as of right now I am thinking about an 06. I should have the cash to buy myself a gift after I get out of here.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want to do big time mods I would do the 06' but if you are a stock kind of guy I would do the 08'.

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an 06 over an 08.

You stated a price difference and I did the same thing. Then I realized I was comparing really nice low mileage 06 cars to highly suspect 08 cars. There is a much bigger price difference for a very ncie well treat 08 I found. So I went with an 06 and saved lots of $$$.

I dont drive it much over 100mph so the improvements of the 08 are not worth the difference to me. They basically look the same and short of a Viper owner, few can tell an 08 over an 06. I'm fine with the 06 tranny.

This is also my first so I can always upgrade.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The regular Gen IV, except for the small amount of suspension tuning done to accomodate the change from run craps to PS2s has the same suspension as the Gen III. The ACR has a different suspension. The Gen IV has a different engine, clutch, transmission and differential. The Gen IV has an electronic throttle. The Gen III has a mechanical throttle. The Gen IV has a far more complex engine ( cam within a cam, Venom programming) that cannot be modded beyond, filters, headers, exhaust and Mopar controller without spending a great deal of money. The Gen IV engine is more stressed at its stock power level. See the SRT Engineering comment on same. ( You will not be able to access this because you are not a VCA member.) There are threads on this.

I prefer the feel of the Gen III single disc clutch over the Gen IV double disc clutch but it is a matter of personal choice. I prefer the mechanical throttle to the electronic throttle. ( I have same in my Jeep and my Challenger and even after the adaptives do their thing, the electronic throttle still, on somewhat rare occasions, seems to have a mind of its own and does unpredictable things. Things that usually involve a slight delay ( think microsecond) between gas pedal push and engine reaction. But, if you do not drive the car in a very spirited manner, you will never notice this.

The Gen IV hood provides 28% better cooling efficiency.

With respect to the warranty issue, you will probably be able to find a Gen III for sale that has an extended warranty. It will not cover everything but it will cover the important stuff.

So it all comes down to what you want to do with the car. If you just want it for cruising, you can buy a Gen III. Put PS2s on it. Buy the inflator kit for flats and keep it behind the driver's seat or in the trunk. If you like the appearance of the Gen IV, all you have to do is buy a Gen IV hood and have it put on. Later, if you want more power, you can mod the Gen III engine for relatively less dollars.

Since you are not thinking of buying a 2010, if you are only going to use it for cruising, if it were me, I would buy the Gen III. If you like the experience, you can always trade and buy a used Gen IV later. And, hopefully, by the Fall of 2012, you will be able to buy a Gen V.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The regular Gen IV, except for the small amount of suspension tuning done to accomodate the change from run craps to PS2s has the same suspension as the Gen III. The ACR has a different suspension. The Gen IV has a different engine, clutch, transmission and differential. The Gen IV has an electronic throttle. The Gen III has a mechanical throttle. The Gen IV has a far more complex engine ( cam within a cam, Venom programming) that cannot be modded beyond, filters, headers, exhaust and Mopar controller without spending a great deal of money. The Gen IV engine is more stressed at its stock power level. See the SRT Engineering comment on same. ( You will not be able to access this because you are not a VCA member.) There are threads on this.

I prefer the feel of the Gen III single disc clutch over the Gen IV double disc clutch but it is a matter of personal choice. I prefer the mechanical throttle to the electronic throttle. ( I have same in my Jeep and my Challenger and even after the adaptives do their thing, the electronic throttle still, on somewhat rare occasions, seems to have a mind of its own and does unpredictable things. Things that usually involve a slight delay ( think microsecond) between gas pedal push and engine reaction. But, if you do not drive the car in a very spirited manner, you will never notice this.

The Gen IV hood provides 28% better cooling efficiency.

With respect to the warranty issue, you will probably be able to find a Gen III for sale that has an extended warranty. It will not cover everything but it will cover the important stuff.

So it all comes down to what you want to do with the car. If you just want it for cruising, you can buy a Gen III. Put PS2s on it. Buy the inflator kit for flats and keep it behind the driver's seat or in the trunk. If you like the appearance of the Gen IV, all you have to do is buy a Gen IV hood and have it put on. Later, if you want more power, you can mod the Gen III engine for relatively less dollars.

Since you are not thinking of buying a 2010, if you are only going to use it for cruising, if it were me, I would buy the Gen III. If you like the experience, you can always trade and buy a used Gen IV later. And, hopefully, by the Fall of 2012, you will be able to buy a Gen V.

I would agree with much of this and you've appropriately identified some aspects where my opinion would differ as being "personal choice".

However, I'll make two comments.

To suggest that the Gen 4 engine is "more stressed at it's stock power level (than the Gen 3 engine)" is tantamount to saying that my quads are more stressed when I carry both my house and car keys (rather than just my house keys).

Although you make reference to relative inexpensive mods available to increase the power of a Gen 3, you don't mention that the Gen 4 comes from the factory with a minimum additional N/A 100 HP. You simply cannot produce that additional N/A 100 HP inexpensively and it would be interesting to do the comparative cost analysis of a 600+ HP Gen 4 vs. a 600+ HP supercharged Gen 3. When it's all said and done, I fear the cost difference might not be substantial (not to mention the comparative reliability, required tuning, warranty and, of course, engine "stress").

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw an immaculate 2,600 mile 08 go for $60k even. I would try to find an 08. Higher residual value and factory build dependability over a modded car unless you plan to go crazy with mods...

You must be registered for see images

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 06 and 09 and now a 10. IMO, heresy to some, I thought the 06 was the best driving car of the 3. The 10 seems the most powerful, especially with the changed 5th gear. I frankly think the shifting is "clunkier" in Gen 4s and if you are not used to it, you can stall a Gen 4 fairly easily. May be my imagination but the Gen4s I have had need a battery tender also.

Gen 4 advantages besides "stock" power are better sound, better hood, and 10 has a better warranty--100,000 powertrain. And (more heresy) neither Gen, IMO, as good looking as my Gen1s and2s. All 4 , however, wonderful cars.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Her's a Corvette based analogy.... I know...

If you were shopping for a pre-owned Corvete and there was only $10-15k difference between a Zo6 and a 2 year newer ZR1 what would you do ?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City said: To suggest that the Gen 4 engine is "more stressed at it's stock power level (than the Gen 3 engine)" is tantamount to saying that my quads are more stressed when I carry both my house and car keys (rather than just my house keys).

It is not my opinion. It is the opinion of the SRT Engineers provided in one of their chats. It really is not that expensive to bump a Gen III up to 600 HP from 510. It does not require supercharging to do so. In fact adding a Paxton bumps the power up to the 740 to 780 HP range. Also keep in mind that the Gen III torque is 535 and the Gen IV torque is 560.

My car has been supercharged since 19 miles. It now has almost 19,000 miles. I have never had a mechanical problem with the drive train. The only problem I did have was a programming problem that was cured by the installation of the DC blower calibration. That problem only showed up on the road course - never on the street. The standard calibration was dumping fuel on the cats to cool them down. The only other problem I have had is the intermittant window regulator issue but the Gen IVs also have this problem. The warranty issue is significant but many Gen IIIs have Max Care extended warranties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper