Clutch Pedal and Clutch Master Rod

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was driving along the other day and my clutch pedal just went dead and after a short heart attack, I costed to a stop safely.

I troubleshooted the problem in the parking lot and the clutch master cylinder rod simply just came disconnected from the clutch pedal itself. I simply put the rod back into the pedal and was good to go. When I jump back in the car, the same thing happens 5 minutes later!

It seems that the pedal/rod is simply a hole with a rod that goes thru and no type of cotter pin to save it from sliding out? Am I missing something here?? It seems it would be easy for it to slide out anytime!

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upon further research, I've found that the "birdcage" is a common problem?

I really want to drive the car this weekend, and I'll order the part tomorrow. Anyone just put a zip tie in place of the cage for a couple of days?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upon further research, I've found that the "birdcage" is a common problem?

I really want to drive the car this weekend, and I'll order the part tomorrow. Anyone just put a zip tie in place of the cage for a couple of days?

Yes, the birdcage is a common problem.

Yes, I tried the zip tie, and broke it also. Then got bailing wire and that held for a few days until my birdcage showed up. The more bailing wire the better.... :)

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I got bored today and really didn't trust the "birdcage" (although I ordered one anyway).

So I went to my local Home Depot and went to work. I ended up with a 5/16th hitch pin that fits nice and snug and is METAL. I also tested with a 5/16th ring cotter pin, but was insanely difficult to put on.

I think I'll keep this setup on and see if it breaks, it looks MUCH sturdier than the plastic birdcage.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for those who wanted to bypass the stock clutch switch, you simply have to bridge the male connectors, takes all of 5 minutes.