Help me decide! I am stuck

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am stuck right now between two cars. I found 2 cars and have researched them to the max and had them inspected by a dodge dealership that had cert. viper mechanic check everything out. Both came out good and both have clear titles. I just can't decide which to go with!

2001 Rt10 Red with black leather interior, 40k miles, has short throw shifter, intakes, and new tires, and new ac compressor. Has a clear title, never wrecked and checked out great. Comes with both hard and soft tops. The price is 28k.
OR
1996 GTS blue with white stripes, 65k miles, all stock, owner was upfront with me, was in a minor wreck and was repaired, took it to get inspected and everything is good but scraps on the front bumper from driveway. Car looks amazing for a 96. He just had a new clutch installed. Clear title, he will take 24k.

65k seems like a lot of miles but i have read vipers can go up to 200k if taken care of. I like both cars, just cant decide.. Just wanting peoples opinions. thanks

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictures do wonders, but it depends if you're an open top guy at heart or that you prefer closed top cars. I would go for the R/T if it were me, but then again I really like this black GTS that is for sale over here that I don't want to exclude from my choices.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots and lots of miles on both. Price is good for both but its because of the very high miles. Myself I would prefer the 01.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya guys, its so hard, I always wanted a gts, but the rt10 seems to be a better deal, and I do like the rt10s with vinyl stripes added and a spoiler..

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres the photos.. i made an ad earlier about the same rt10, I had it checked out.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the way the GTS looks like, but I love the ride in a convertible. But if you are going to keep that hard top on the RT for the most time, I'd go for the coupe.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya I do not like the hard top at all.. I would never drive it with it, I have 3 other cars and a sport bike. It would probably be driven a few times a month, maybe 2,000 miles a yr.. garage kept, never will see rain.

I love the way the GTS looks like, but I love the ride in a convertible. But if you are going to keep that hard top on the RT for the most time, I'd go for the coupe.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to start big - take both! :D
:drive:
Where there is room for4 cars is room for 5 also :D

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... both cars look mega clean! Can't go wrong as far as exterior condition goes and how well that can be judged from pictures. I imagine it's gonna be a super tough choice for you!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see why you're struggling with the decision...both seem like good deals. If it's going to be a garage queen and never see rain...seems like an easy decision...RT/10 :2tu:. The only deal is that you stated

'I always wanted a GTS.'

If I always wanted a GTS, then I would buy a GTS. I always wanted a Viper Race Yellow RT/10, so I bought what I wanted ;).

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $4k less the GTS is a no brainer especially since that's what you always wanted anyway. The 96 B/W is much higer on the desirability and collectibility scales. A red RT/10 not so much although still a great car in it's own right.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $4k less the GTS is a no brainer especially since that's what you always wanted anyway. The 96 B/W is much higer on the desirability and collectibility scales. A red RT/10 not so much although still a great car in it's own right.

I know in general you're correct, but remember the b/w has been in a wreck. Do you plan to keep this car forever or sell it in a few years? Selling a wrecked car, even when not salvaged can be a chore. Driving 2k a year means you could start out with higher miles (aka GTS) and not worry about the miles getting THAT high anytime soon. You gonna do any heavy modding (SC, TT, etc)? 01' is an ABS car but creampuff internals. For $4k, you get a short throw shifter, intake, new tires, and new ac compressor, 25k less miles and no accident history. Have you driven both a RT/10 and GTS? See which driving experience you like better.

All that typing and I didn't help one bit did I? :)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how to interpret "minor wreck". Would that be a slight disaster?

Anyway, I think your decision should be primarily based on whether you want a fixed roof or not. Deciding between 2 Viper of the same body style would be far more difficult.

The miles are ONLY relevent to those that don't drive their cars.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was like you, always wanted a gts

i bought an rt/10 and am glad i did.

in houston, i think a (the) real issue is if you will be able to go ******* very much, (garage, space for top, can stand the sun and heat, etc.) if not get the gts. in the evening with the top off, zipping around :2tu:

and, a gts is still on my wish list ---> 2 vipers someday :headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unknown pedigree 96 = buy the 01 RT and sell the top.

Does the 01 have its fog lites? Cannot tell from the foto.... No Fogs = caution.....

But what the helll do I know anyway.....

LucimerOhmZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya I do not like the hard top at all.. I would never drive it with it, I have 3 other cars and a sport bike. It would probably be driven a few times a month, maybe 2,000 miles a yr.. garage kept, never will see rain.

You do know that there is a VCA member hat offers a really nice hard top. The aftermarket hardtop looks evven cooler than the coupe. And you will probably get less issues with the conv. than the coupe. But since it is a blue gts and has a new clutch, i really am puzzled :/

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your opinions! I think I might do the gts, I love the blue with white stripe theme, and the rt10 checked out great but the owner is trying to tell me its stock and all original. It looks repainted, has a short throw shifter, and has smooth tubes, so I do not know why he is saying that its all original. Plus Houston is really hot! Its still up in the air, but im leaning towards the gts. It is 4k cheaper, so I could do some good mods :)

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to own it for years and really put 2k miles/yr on it get the GTS and do some upgrades. Brakes would be my first recommendation; but I'm biased (see sig)and get to the track as often as I can.

Whatever you pick, come out and join the Houston group for some activities. These are the good type of decisions to make.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a red gen 1 R/T and i just bought a GTS ,and i like both.They are two different beasts yet share a big cool factor. In your case i like the blue and white GTS. My 99 GTS is red with grey stripes. I like the blue white theme better.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would only own a GTS (trunk space, security, interior noise, leaks etc. But the 96 has a forged engine cast 17" wheels, cast iron exhaust manifolds, no alarm reset, and 50% greater milage.

The 01 would not be for me (convertible), but it has ABS, 18" forged wheels, tubing exh. manifolds and 2/3 the mileage.

I (my $.02)would spend more money and get a Viper with exhaust, hiflows, brake mods and wheels. The exhaust could cost you $3,000. Wheels $3,000+. brake upgrades $1500-6,000.

The Gen 2 stops at .8Gs but the upgraded (rear calipers) Gen 2 stops at 1G, similar to a Gen 3.

Ted

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, everything should be good.. but of course, my luck the owner is not answering or returning emails.. might be sold

I do appreciate all the help guys, this site is GREAT!

CDNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Classic blue and white gts all the way, red rt will be less noticed, btw, any time the tops were down in my cars, was always dodging the sun in my eyes. Regardless,:can1::bonker: prices are definitely right.