Gen II compared to Gen III/IV steering wheel spline.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No speculation please. Does anybody know if the spline receiving end in the Gen II steering wheel is the same as a Gen III/IV steering wheel? Any Viper Tech's know this?

Obviously, the reason I'm asking is I'd like to update the steering wheel in the GTS, it is the only part of the car that is 'dated' that I can't cover with suede or leather and really help the look. I know some people put the badges on the wheel, but I feel it is too big, and I don't feel like a broken nose from a Viper badge of I ever get in an accident, lol. I'm out on the aftermarket wheels too, I'd just like to swap a gen III/IV steering wheel in. If they are different, no biggie, just requires a little fabrication. I'd appreciate the input!

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are companies out there that will recover your existing wheel. They will remove all the old stuff add new base foam and them sew on a new leather cover. I had this done on a couple of cars. I will look tonight and see if I can find the receipts and post the info.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in this as well. I would LOVE to swap a newer steering wheel in simply for aesthetic reasons. I believe Mike has a spare gen 3 wheel in his parts department. I'll see if I can 'borrow' it from him this week and yank my steering wheel for comparisons sake.

OP
OP
T

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in this as well. I would LOVE to swap a newer steering wheel in simply for aesthetic reasons. I believe Mike has a spare gen 3 wheel in his parts department. I'll see if I can 'borrow' it from him this week and yank my steering wheel for comparisons sake.

Any luck with this? Thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each their own but I'd rather have a cool looking wheel like this instead of that big ugly balloon staring at me.

1995Viper.jpg

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to buy a gen IV steering wheel assembly to find out I have one :) I am eliminating the air bags from mine

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they are the same, I've put quick-release wheels and boss on Gen 2's and Gen3's. I'm at work at the moment so don't have my photos to access and part numbers. For 'off road use' only (!) they set an air bag light...on the gen2 you can just pull the bulb, gen3 put a resistor in. If you are swaping OE wheels the air bag connectors at the bag module are different gen2 and 3, you'd have to adapt wiring. Hope this helps, not been on the forums in weeks (been just a bit busy, but someone email me this).

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe one is one of the nicest and small and light (I think its actually a Porsche type) and the spline bolts on not welds. Let me know if you need part numbers. I have also used another type which is bulkier but only allows the wheel to be fitted in one position on fitting back on, that type needed fitting with a boss onto the column end first. I'll see if I can find some pics of them all when I'm home to post.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comp Coupe part # 04862447 listing as $110 "steering quick release" but I can't remember if thats the male lug also to install on the column as I thought it was at least $200 for the male and female release parts kit. Now this is 3-bolt fitting and you then need a 3 to 6-bolt adapter that most race shops should have, to fit the wheel, you may also need a spacer to bring the wheel closer to you. BTW, I think Snakeoyl were doing such a release kit too.
The momo boss which is collapsible compliant is part # HUB K2401, you wouldn't want a spacer with this. For reference if Gen3/4 guys look this up, I have installed it on Gen3, but it wanted a little file trimming, from memory on the Gen3 it installed onto the column about 1/16" further when correct torque reached, and was too close (rubbing on the back). The security quick release type I then used with the momo boss was made by Prosport (european?) part # SYPP384 but you could use any quick release that works with the Momo / Sparco / OMP 6-bolt wheel and hubs pattern.
I been and taken a bunch of pics to follow, so you can see all the options of the above, just going to take me some time to upload and post.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Photos, just don't give me a hard time for needing dusting, I had to go dig some of these parts out!

Comp Coupe quick release 'lug' on the column in Comp Coupe (Gen3/4)

You must be registered for see images attach

Same Comp Coupe 'lug' on Gen2 OE column:

This is the Comp Coupe quick release part, and an optional steering wheel spacer:

Momo boss on Gen2 column, cover shroud removed for pic to show install, and the male part of the Prosort quick release:

View from the front, brass pins are contacts for the wheel bottons (I wired one for horn)

Same set up of Momo boss and quick release, with Sparco wheel and thumb buttons installed in Gen3. Diameter of wheel is a bit smaller than OE so it gives a little less light feel to the steering which I like.

Backs of the steering wheels, Comp Coupe type is one on the right:

Steering wheels fronts:

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want an air bag and you don't want to spend a lot on a Viper part, you can always get a billet steering wheel.

I don't think I have ever seen a Viper with a billet steering wheel yet? Maybe because it's not "safe" or the proper thing to do...

If no one has done it yet, then I know a secret that no one else does. :headbang:

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone ever try this? Not worried about the column and stalks... just the wheel.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I got some info, the spline is the same but the key gide is a 1/4 of a turn off. that can be fix by car realignment or grinding the key gide off.