Bad Smell Coming from Air Conditioning / Vents

ChoklatMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought my Viper at the end of April, and noticed a very musty, *****-like (I know, yuck!) smell coming from the vents every time I get in the car.

Is there some kind of air exchange / air filter that needs to be changed?

Any ideas where this smell could be coming from?

Please help. Driving the car is becomming unpleasant.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a normal mold in your heater/ac box---they make a solition to spray in your fresh air intake to kill it-- i like the smell of it and people think im nuts lol

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What he said...but, in my experience, occasionally a small leak of R-134a has a moldly smell as well. Try the spray...but if along the way your A/C blows warm and frequently cycles on-off-on-etc., check your system for pressure readings and for a leak using the R-134a refills with dye, UV light/goggles, and a "sniffer".

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to scare you but check for pests as well. The "***** like" smell could in fact be just that.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mold. Most of them have that same smell.
I've even heard of spraying Lysol in there, to kill the mold

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought my Viper at the end of April, and noticed a very musty, *****-like (I know, yuck!) smell coming from the vents every time I get in the car.

Is there some kind of air exchange / air filter that needs to be changed?

Any ideas where this smell could be coming from?

Please help. Driving the car is becomming unpleasant.

Mice. Yup. Could well be a nest in the A.C intake plenum, esp on cars that are winter-stored. You should put some "Dryer Sheets" in every nook and cranny you can when stored...

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also check the A/C drain, could be plugged. Try spraying some 'ozium' air sanitizer in the A/C air intake while the A/C is on.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More than likely just mold on the coils. Use the right spray into the intake part with the fan running and then into your vents on the interior with the fan motor not running. It will go away after applying it a few times. In climates like Alberta where it can be a little humid at times followed by dry spells, it is the perfect condition for that to happen. It happens here in Colorado at times too. Not in my Viper but in my Porsche. I take it, it is worse, AFTER a recent rain followed by heat?

If you see little droppings in the carpet or trunk or in the engine bay nooks and crannies, then you know you have a real rodent problem.

OP
OP
C

ChoklatMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I've got the car booked into a local dealership first thing Monday morning. They're going to fog it and get rid of the mold. When I took it in, they said it was a common problem - especially with vipers because they run so hot and the air conditioning is used more than most cars.

Looking forward to driving the car in the mountains and smelling MOUNTAIN air!!!

I'm glad it's just mold. I've had a few guys tell me of instances where people have actually urinated in their cars when parked with the tops down. Unbelievable....

Cheers!

Brad

V

Venomiss

Good luck with it and hope they can fix it for you.

The thought of that is just EWWWWWW.