More silly dumb newbie questions about batteries....

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez...I really hate being a newbie, and those dumb newbie questions...lol.:omg:

So, the battery in my '95 RT/10 is no good....so I'll be needing to replace it. And, I know that it's located behind the left rear tire, and I have to remove the wheel and all of that...but once I remove it, then what? Will the battery be visible right away, or do I need to remove a panel or something to get to it? And any suggestions for a really good battery to survive the Arizona summers?

And, my battery charger also checks for a bad alternator, which my car apparently has also. Where is that located, and is it easy to replace?

The prior owner keeps saying that he'll find the owner's manual and give it to me, but so far, I don't have it...thus, lots of stupid questions... so, sorry in advance! :crazy2:

Thanks!

Andy in Arizona :2tu:

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man....right after I wrote the post, I came across this same link....you must have been reading my mind!

Thanks - I appreciate it!! :rock:

So, the only challenge I have left is to replace (after I find) the alternator.............

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez...I really hate being a newbie, and those dumb newbie questions...lol.:omg:
Well, theoretically, you shouldn't get a hard time in this "New Owners" forum. You may get more responses in the regular Gen 1 & 2 forum; but, some are typically less tolerant there; but, not like on a Mustang forum! :)

Any suggestions for a really good battery to survive the Arizona summers?
Good suggestions here: http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/638828-battery-question.html Everyone seems to have their own favorite.

And, my battery charger also checks for a bad alternator, which my car apparently has also. Where is that located, and is it easy to replace?

It is there at the top right front of the engine. It sounds like this is the first car for you to learn wrenching on? If so, it is a pretty basic car, so easy to work on for a DIY guy. What you REALLY need is a Dodge factory service manual. They are easy to find on eBay.

I'd recommend taking the car, or just the alternator to Autozone and have them check out the alternator. I would be concerned that your battery charger is misleading you; but, I have never encountered a charger that "tests" an alternator; so, I don't know what it's abilities are.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What they said. I also had to quickly pull the rear tire out today. Bad ground connection, couldn't start the car. Tighten the battery bolts and no need for a new battery. All is good now, but why I have to do it 2-3 times a year?

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be pulling the wheel off and checking things out.

And I don't have much experience working on cars, and to make matters even more humorous, I'm a degreed mechanical engineer. Go figure.....:lmao:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on how much you drive and how long the car sits consider getting a trickle charger. Harbor Freight sells some decent ones. Or you can drop bucks for a "Battery Tender".

:usa:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Your tester is probably lying to you about the bad alternator. Replace the battery and re-test, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Chrysler makes a bulletproof alternator, if it was a GM I'd say you're right and it's junk. Most testers will flag a bad alternator because the voltage from the battery is off and the alternator won't work right under those circumstances. Hope this helps, Mark AKA "Throttle" ASE L1 CDMAT

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a factory service manual. They are a priceless tool for around $75. Call JonB at PartsRack. I got mine from him. He is the best at helping us.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, theoretically, you shouldn't get a hard time in this "New Owners" forum. You may get more responses in the regular Gen 1 & 2 forum; but, some are typically less tolerant there; but, not like on a Mustang forum! :)

Not theoretically, actually. :D

New Owner Question forum is a designated no smack area. It's all kindness in here. :hug: