American Racing Headers, SCT tune, or 3.55 gears? Where's the biggest gains?

Which ones offers the most gain Gen III?

• American Racing Headers with high flow cats

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • 3.55 gears

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • SCT/ or DC tune

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK guys looking for a little advice here. I haven't done much to the car this past year due to us finishing a new home. Now that were moved in the car is going in to the shop for the new Vipair Style 08 hood, Henessey low rise spoiler, and a black center band/ red drivers stripe ACR paint scheme.

I want to get the car moving a bit better as well. Currently the car has a K&N airbox, and a Corsa catback, and an MGW shifter. Out of the three mods listed in the title what do you think would give the car the biggest improvement how it sits now?

3.55 gears

American Racing Headers with high flow cats

SCT tune, or a DC tune ( some sort of mail order tune )

Thanks for the help guys!

Andy Wheeler

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sort of wondering whether you might compare the trade/sale and buy pricing of an actual (slightly used) Gen 4 ACR vs. all your mods that still won't get you where you want to be Andy. :dunno:

Maybe you already went through that process?

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I did and unfortunately I am just not in a position to carry a note right now on the ACR. I am a bit younger with a family on the way (god willing) so having the Gen III paid off is great. I basically can mod it when we have a little extra and enjoy it the way it is when we don't.

My next car will be a Gen IV ACR though, and I think in a couple of years I will make the purchase. Also I love the mod game and creating something that is uniquely my style, and I just don't think I could do that to an ACR.

Thanks for the reply city!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The 3:55's will give you the feel of another 40 hp.

2. DC tune will compliment what you've done already and is resonably priced, if you've got strict smog testing, try to find a used one for Dan to flash and keep your stock ECU.

3. Headers on a Gen III only add about 12-15 RWHP, costly HP.

Good luck, Mike

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Mike!

Thats kind of what I was already thinking as well. What all has to be purchased to do the swap? Do I need an SCT to change the speedo? I know some guys buy the diff with gears already installed, what is the best way to do this without spending more money than I need to?

1. The 3:55's will give you the feel of another 40 hp.

2. DC tune will compliment what you've done already and is resonably priced, if you've got strict smog testing, try to find a used one for Dan to flash and keep your stock ECU.

3. Headers on a Gen III only add about 12-15 RWHP, costly HP.

Good luck, Mike

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All are good choices , but the headers will get more than shown above. The Bad Boyzz Viper Garage Headers would be my choice of the three things you listed, but all have their advantages.

Since you already have the Corsa , the header install would not be as much as normal, just make sure you get the proper set up with the headers.

DC Performance has a great PCM, but check your State on emission issues ( call me/email me if you have a concern ). Even if so, that may not be a problem.

The gears have a great feel, and seat of the pants it does feel like you bumped up in power.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike!

Thats kind of what I was already thinking as well. What all has to be purchased to do the swap? Do I need an SCT to change the speedo? I know some guys buy the diff with gears already installed, what is the best way to do this without spending more money than I need to?

Touch base with; Unitrax, Dan @ DC and JonB and see what they say and have for you. You need the "kit" that has the ring & pinion plus shims and a few other small items. As for the speedometer, nothing has to be done, don't need recalibration box.

You need to find someone experienced for the install, lot's of folks can put them in but you don't want it to whine and/or break later. I found a new-used set for around $400 and Mark at Woodhouse did my 06 when I bought the car). Expect to pay around $400.00 or more for the install. Unitrax is close to me here in CA and I think they wanted $900-$1000 for the kit and install.

I've seen folks advertise complete units here on the boards, the Alley and even Dan @ DC and JonB have them on occasion. Cost would be about the same as an installed kit, plus installation (which is much easier than the ring & pinion work) and you would keep the stockers. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is NO denying it: #1 BEST Bang-4-buck acceleration kick is GEARS. 3:55 will make 530HP "FEEL LIKE" you added +84 HP. As a bonus, the car will slow-down faster as well. The HP adders wont do that. And the tranny becomes a full-fledged useable 6-speed . FINALLY! The HP adders wont do that either. If you choose 3:73 that feels like +112 HP. You will get there FAST, but you wont be able to exceeed 155mph...do you need to?

And when you consider the low cost of gears, vs the parts+labor costs of the other mods, GEARS WIN. Red/Tan is very-very close on his quote. Gears are avail alone; diff-installed/exchanged; or diff-instaled outright, NO exchange.

There are header options: Check the power band, and the coolness, and other issues. But do gears first. I am a big fan of the DanC Tune..... after you do your planned mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All are good choices , but the headers will get more than shown above. The Bad Boyzz Viper Garage Headers would be my choice of the three things you listed, but all have their advantages.

Since you already have the Corsa , the header install would not be as much as normal, just make sure you get the proper set up with the headers.

DC Performance has a great PCM, but check your State on emission issues ( call me/email me if you have a concern ). Even if so, that may not be a problem.

The gears have a great feel, and seat of the pants it does feel like you bumped up in power.

Thanks Bill,

The Bad Boyz garage headers are the American Racing headers, and I did some work with the American Racing folks on my Vette so I am very familiar with those
guys and their products. I would install them my self so basically I would just be looking at the cost of the product itself.

Touch base with; Unitrax, Dan @ DC and JonB and see what they say and have for you. You need the "kit" that has the ring & pinion plus shims and a few other small items. As for the speedometer, nothing has to be done, don't need recalibration box.

You need to find someone experienced for the install, lot's of folks can put them in but you don't want it to whine and/or break later. I found a new-used set for around $400 and Mark at Woodhouse did my 06 when I bought the car). Expect to pay around $400.00 or more for the install. Unitrax is close to me here in CA and I think they wanted $900-$1000 for the kit and install.

I've seen folks advertise complete units here on the boards, the Alley and even Dan @ DC and JonB have them on occasion. Cost would be about the same as an installed kit, plus installation (which is much easier than the ring & pinion work) and you would keep the stockers. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. Mike

Thanks Mike,

Tomball Dodge is right down the street from me so I would have them install the set. Ok thats great news about the speedo unit as well. I will give Tomball a call and see what they would want for the install of both units and then make a choice.

As for the 3.73's I may go that route actually. This car will never be a "mile" type setup, but more a 1/4 mile car so the 3.73's might work well. The only thing that I might not want them for though is if I put a paxton on the car later.

Thanks guys,

Andy

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

he has a Gen 3......... the headers mentioned are Gen 4

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is NO denying it: #1 BEST Bang-4-buck acceleration kick is GEARS. 3:55 will make it "FEEL LIKE" you added +84 HP. As a bonus, the car will slow-down faster as well. The HP adders wont do that. And the tranny becomes a full-fludeged useable 6-speed . FINALLY! The HP adders wont do that either. If you choose 3:73 that feels like +112 HP. You will get there FAST, but you wont be able to exceeed 155mph...do you need to?

And when you consider the low cost of gears, vs the parts+labor costs of the other mods, GEARS WIN. Red/Tan is very-very close on his quote. Gears are avail alone; diff-installed/exchanged; or diff-instaled outright, NO exchange.

Thanks John the 3.73's might be the way to go for this build then. I might just keep this a bolt on car without the blower and enjoy it until I get my ACR in a few years.

Shoot me a pm with what you have for the 3.73's:2tu:

Andy

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, as JonB said, 6 gear will be functional, and 5th will really pull. Forgot about Tomball, lucky for you. My folks live around 6 & 290 so I get to visit Tomball a couple of time a year, great viper suppporters!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Jon the 3.73's might be the way to go for this build then. I might just keep this a bolt on car without the blower and enjoy it until I get my ACR in a few years. Shoot me a pm with what you have for the 3.73's....

Andy

I call 3:73s the "POOR MAN's SUPERCHARGER.........90% of the pull, for 10% of the price!"

PM sending

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FLATOUT,

Good info Guyzz,

Yes the =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= are the new Gen 4 OEM ACRX Headers that Bill was reffering to. What Bill said is correct because he knows that ARH Gen 2-3 headers share the exact same collector as the ACRX's.

We also have the ARH GEN 2-3 systems avaliable and are also pre-selling sets for the VOI 11.

FLATOUT - the standard upgrades are exactly what your listing, except missing one item ( Light Flywheel ). Put them all together and you have a BAD BOY! I personally run the ARH 5 to 1 long tube merge style header. More bottom end torque than any current header on the markert & Max Horsepower on the top end for any future engine modifications.

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Toddy

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The light flywheel will improve the V10's acceleration & decelaration by the reduction in weight. Now let's reduce the clutch diameter from 12" to 9" and make it a "TWIN DISC" with double the factory pressure plate clamping force and you have something track worthy with out doubt ( Track Days, Drag Strip, Auto X, Forced Induction ).

A light flywheel is good for a few tenths of a second off of your current acceleration times. All the Pros would agree it wakes up the Vipers V10.

Toddy

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curious about the lightweight flywheel. Exactly what does that do?

Any weight reduction in rotational weight makes nice gains. Think about light weight wheels, rotors, flywheels, driveshafts you get the point.

John got your pm. Bad boys even if I don't get them now I will soon! I loved my AR headers on my ZO6 best headers I have ever installed and owned.

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How treacherous does 1-3rd gears become with 3.73s? Seems to me even near stock power levels, it'd be super squirrely.

Acceration is acceleration, you might need to put a decent drag radial under the car to take full advantage in first, but I bet you could learn to drive it just like any other big power build. Still should be fine from a roll.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How treacherous does 1-3rd gears become with 3.73s? Seems to me even near stock power levels, it'd be super squirrely.

If you have a squirrely Viper, you have a) old tires, and/or b) alignment issues.

That said, a supercharger or a gearchange can overpower your cornering traction if you use too much throttle too quickly. You have to be more judicious in throttle applications with a 3:73 vs a 3:55......or just plan and learn (quickly) to be in ONE HIGHER GEAR.....

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Curious about the lightweight flywheel. Exactly what does that do?

As stated, anything of rotating mass that can be lightened will improve acceleration response.

What was NOT stated is also an additional benefit of a lighter flywheel: The car slows down quicker when you lift off the throttle, and the brakes work better since they dont also have to stop the rotating mass of a heavier flywheel.

Last edited:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I am talking about guyzz,

BBG_IMG_5570.JPG

BBG_IMG_5644.JPG

These are some photos I took during the installation of my = BBG VIPER TWIN =

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, can I get a PM with a price for just 3.55 gears for use in the stock diff on my 08 Gen IV? (I'm assuming the same price for 3.33's as well?) Let me know if it would need anything else to do the swap. I'll have a local shop install it. If a 3.55 is too much for stock tires, let me know, thanks!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks FLATOUT,

I believe in running only the best components when doing high performance upgrades on Viper's.

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Toddy

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 gears= Their has never been any proof that 3.55 gears will actually make you faster at the drag strip. however seat of the pants from many owners say it "feels" like you picked up 50 HP. Unfortunetly drag strip runs never reflect this

American Racing Headers with high flow cats=This is a solid 20 rwhp gain that will show quicker et and higher mph at the drag strip

SCT tune, or a DC tune ( some sort of mail order tune )= sct is the onll way to go here IMHO. t has proven time and time agin to be just a GREAT product. 10-20 rwhp is achieved depending on whos sct tune you choose and how agressive the tuneing is. But their are so many other benifits other than just the rwhp gain it's self with this product

I would personally get the american raceing headers and then just for $400 more get the Viper Specialty SCT tune from Dan.

This combo would generate a true 25-35 rwhp gain across the rpm band as well as peak rwhp and really give you a faster "feeling" car as well as faster at the drag strip car.

I would skip the 3.55's all together. Most cars benifit from steeper gearing. But most cars dont come from the factory with 535 Tourque as well

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tornado were in the world do you get that gears have never shown an improvement at the track? Dude I have tons of drag strip experience with multiple platforms on real race tracks, not with a g-tech pro strapped to my windshield. You can and absolutely will see gains at the track when you swap gearing. You won't see gains on the dyno but you do see it at the track.

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you guys are talking gen 3. I have a gen 2. Added the 355 gear and light weight fly wheel it made the car even more fun to drive. Then added the BBG ARH and wow the V10 came a live. Next is a tune. I would have to say all 3 is a must. BBG headers first for the HP and sound then the gear's and flywheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62