GTS A/C question

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
has anyone with a GenII ever noticed their a/c cutting off when going from subtle driving to punching it? I figured it was to keep the A/C from leeching power from the power plant. any thoughts?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just live with it. It's one of the many probs with my gen II

Our ac systems **** :(

What ther problems do you have ? I just replaced the O rings in the AC unit and ha it charged and the AC is almost too cold...well now that the cats are gone too.

You live in New Jersey. The 2 others I quoted live in Georgia and Texas respectively.

Bring your too cold AC to my state :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to lose the Cats if you haven't already doen that. It really is night and day...

You live in New Jersey. The 2 others I quoted live in Georgia and Texas respectively.

Bring your too cold AC to my state :rolaugh:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to lose the Cats if you haven't already doen that. It really is night and day...

Important note #1...

Cats don't make any freakin' difference when it's one hundred eleven degrees out! :rolaugh:

Important note #2...

I'll keep my Random Tech HF cats thank you.

Important note #3...

I'm light years ahead when it comes to getting heat out of the sills. :rolaugh:

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ac cutting out is normal when you punch it. It occurs on my gen 1 as well. I thought it was to deliver more power.

craig

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Viper but I know that some cars have a cutout on the A/C compressor at wide open throttle to keep from damaging it from high rpm's.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not really a bad thing but there should be away to override it... When that Porsche or Ferrari comes up from behind you would click it off anyway.

Yes, under heavy acceleration the compressor cuts out - this is by design. It returns immediately when you let off the gas.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, under heavy acceleration the compressor cuts out - this is by design. It returns immediately when you let off the gas.

Has anyone measured the signal to the compressor clutch to verify this? Just wondering if you know it by personal investigation or reading in a service manual. Not questioning your veracity! I have read various posts claiming that; and wanted to know whether it might be something that is being passed on, but not verified.

Back to the OP: If it is a pretty immediate change from cold to hot, then I'd say that it is most likely the vacuum system like quad-6 dave said. If the compressor were shutting off by design, the A/C air temp would rise more slowly as the evaporator starts to warm up; but, the AC would come back on soon thereafter unless you are really on hard acceleration for a long period.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone measured the signal to the compressor clutch to verify this? Just wondering if you know it by personal investigation or reading in a service manual.

i remember reading of this feature in the owners manual, i like that it works as it should

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Important note #1...

Cats don't make any freakin' difference when it's one hundred eleven degrees out! :rolaugh:

Important note #2...

I'll keep my Random Tech HF cats thank you.

Important note #3...

I'm light years ahead when it comes to getting heat out of the sills. :rolaugh:

dave's posting like the good old times :headbang:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding of the AC cutting out is the air ducting - which is controlled by vacuum from the engine - loses that vacuum during hard acceleration and the door in the AC system moves to another position that does not include the AC evaporator in the loop. The DBB part "checks" the vacuum to that AC door control so that it does not lose the vacuum. The compressor shutting off is not an issue.

This is all of course as supplied by Dave drinking coffee in the AM, not my prime Miller time posting. :beer:

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My understanding of the AC cutting out is the air ducting - which is controlled by vacuum from the engine - loses that vacuum during hard acceleration and the door in the AC system moves to another position that does not include the AC evaporator in the loop. The DBB part "checks" the vacuum to that AC door control so that it does not lose the vacuum. The compressor shutting off is not an issue.

This is all of course as supplied by Dave drinking coffee in the AM, not my prime Miller time posting. :beer:
You may be correct - it may be the vents and not the compressor. However, from recent experience I do know that when there is no vacuum to the control dial, the default vent position is everything blowing out the defrost vents.

It appears to me, upon looking at my service manual, that the Mode Door Actuator is an electric motor. It talks about software calibration (battery disconnect, etc.), so that might lead me to believe it may not be vacuum controlled?

Ultimately I would bow down to Dave's MUCH greater knowledge of the inside-outs of these cars - I wish I had the cajones to mod mine myself like Dave's!

EDIT: Found this interesting thread about other Dodge vehicles doing the same: AC cuts out on acceleration - DodgeForum.com

(referring to a/c cutting out, not vent switching, which would be a vacuum leak/loss)