rt/10, gts or svt?

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

im new to this forum so here is a little history about my situation
i currently own a convertible 2004 svt cobra, ive always been a convertible guy.
i also fell in love with the gen 1 rt/10 when i was a little kid and always dreamt of owning one.
so, i have my car for sale, i live in canada so prices will be canadian market value.
i figure i can get around $28,000 for my car.

so i can either get a 94 rt/10 from the US which will run around $26000-28000
or
i have a friend of a friend which has a 2000 gunmetal gts, 2 tone interior, 19"wheels with 285/355 tires, custome exhaust from the headers back. sounds and looks beautiful.
now this car has a cracked windsheil, and bumper and hood will need repainting, but i sort of know the guy and i know hes short on cash and cant really afford to fix anything. the car was always mint condition before his financial situation arised. he has a lease until october 2011 which is $618 and the buyback is $27000. i never had a chane to drive it as it was not plated.

i did however drive the rt/10 and was a little dissapointed. the interior was grey and outdated and the overall car seemed just old, but it is a beautiful car and i kind of like the targa.

should i opt for the gts and give up the convertible ride or go with an older model or just keep my cobra which i still enjoy? who kows im just looking for feedback on owners of the amazing machines

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not get a srt10 vert..You can get one for 38K american if you really look and it's new in styule and has a true convertable top and has 510 HP that wont dissapoint...

No way I would keep the svt cobra stang...Kool car but compared to any viper just plain jane..

FWIW a stock 94 viper is actually a lil faster than a stock 03 cobra..

12.7 at 113 for the 94 viper and 12.9 at 111 for the 03 cobra

1996 gts is 12.2 at 119 vs the 12.9 at 111 for the cobra

2003 srt10 is 12.0 at 121 vs the 12.9 at 111 for the cobra..

Again you cant really go wrong..get a VIPER

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont like the newer shape vipers as much as the first gen,

its ot really for speed as my cobra has a smaller sc pulley and ported eaton and a few other goodies, the best time i could do was 12.1 but im sure with a pro driver it could be faster. plus the cobra is easy to get big hp, just add a kenne bell and ur in business.

its not really a hp question, im just torn between the 2 vipers and i wanna keep this car for a long time so i want to make the right move

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you're willing to spend a about $2-4k more, you can get a nice Gen 2 RT/10. Seems like it'd fit you best.

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya thats what i was thinking, but i cant get that gts out of my mind, it looks so sleek with the hardtop

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too 1st fell in love with the RT/10. Even when the GTS came out i didnt like it as much as the Gen1. ....Untill i saw it in person many years later and realised that the GTS is the pinnacle of automotive styling. I just stare at the car atleast once a week and think about it; How could a designer put so many curves together to create such a complete perfect shape?

That being said, i would love to have a Gen2 RT/10(w/sidepipeconvert) sitting next to my GTS some day so i could leave the top off and drive the car as-intended. Any of the silly "toupee" tops available for the RT/10 throw off the lines of the car and i personaly couldnt drive it like that which is another reason why i choose the GTS since i drive year-round.

What other vehicle do you have besides the Stang?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a friend of a friend which has a 2000 gunmetal gts, 2 tone interior, 19"wheels with 285/355 tires, custome exhaust from the headers back. sounds and looks beautiful.
now this car has a cracked windsheil, and bumper and hood will need repainting, but i sort of know the guy and i know hes short on cash and cant really afford to fix anything. the car was always mint condition before his financial situation arised. he has a lease until october 2011 which is $618 and the buyback is $27000. i never had a chane to drive it as it was not plated.

Obviously the ultimate decision is yours, but this particular GTS (based on your description) seems to be a poor choice.

If you have to make the rest of the payments and then make the purchase you're into the car for $34,500. THEN you've got a good $2-3G's additional to make it right (assuming you can match the hood paint perfectly with 10 year old body paint).

So do you really want to own a repainted, 2000 GTS that seems to have been undriven for a long time (more hidden costs) for over $37,000???

I'm still perplexed how a car that was "always mint" went to "a cracked windsheil, and bumper and hood will need repainting".

You can do much better in our classified section.

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to answer all the above questions, my wife has an 04 CTS-v for the summer and a base model mini cooper for the winter, i just have the cobra and a 2007 grand cherokee for winter.

i saw those hardtops on the rt/10 but its the back of the gts with the ducktail wing, gas cover etc etc that makes the car so **** and bad ass.

i dont know what happened to the guy but he got mixed up with gambling etc. i would only take the car next july as there is no point of buying it and storing it.

here is a link to the ad, you guys be the judge, this or a 94 viper.

2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe (2 door) - Montréal Cars For Sale - Kijiji Montréal Canada.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice wheels and i like the two-tone cognac interior:2tu:

his pictures **** though. How could one expect to sell a premium vehicle with pictures taken off a cellphone:dunno: ameture night...

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a vert Stang for a long time and used the top down maybe a dozen times.Coupe is for me now .You'd love a GTS ;)

Dangling the carrot for you :D

You must be registered for see images

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a '03 Cobra and there is no way I would give up my '97 GTS to get that car back. Sure, it is MUCH cheaper to make the Cobra quicker, but if all you care about is speed, there are too many choices other than the Cobra that will be both faster and cheaper.

If you need the back seat, stay with the Cobra. Otherwise, there's no debate as to what car to get.

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are making the choice pretty clear, but its not about speed. its just that my heart was always with the rt/10 and now that i fell in love with the gts it feels like im cheating. I tried so hard to love the rt/10 but i dont know, there was just something about it that made me feel like i was in a go-cart. My wife loved the rt/10 drive but hated the gts, she said it was to savage.

im just worried ill miss convertible, i was thinking of getting the gts and swapping out the jeep for a wrangler this way i can keep my convertible dream alive

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a '03 Cobra and there is no way I would give up my '97 GTS to get that car back. Sure, it is MUCH cheaper to make the Cobra quicker, but if all you care about is speed, there are too many choices other than the Cobra that will be both faster and cheaper.

If you need the back seat, stay with the Cobra. Otherwise, there's no debate as to what car to get.

did u feel like the interior and overall feel of the car as a downgrade going from the cobra to the gts. cause when i got back into my cobra from the rt/10 i felt more at ease and comfortable

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I came from a 04 whippled mystichrome cobra vert before I bought my 99 ACR. I don't feel like the interior is a downgrade at all. The interior of the cobra is horrible. It's the same as a base V6.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously the ultimate decision is yours, but this particular GTS (based on your description) seems to be a poor choice.

If you have to make the rest of the payments and then make the purchase you're into the car for $34,500. THEN you've got a good $2-3G's additional to make it right (assuming you can match the hood paint perfectly with 10 year old body paint).

So do you really want to own a repainted, 2000 GTS that seems to have been undriven for a long time (more hidden costs) for over $37,000???

I'm still perplexed how a car that was "always mint" went to "a cracked windsheil, and bumper and hood will need repainting".

You can do much better in our classified section.

+1 and their is a really sweet 98 GTS listed here in the classifieds for just 30k...'PhoenixGTS' He just lowered his price from 35k. I like the hell out of it's looks and paint color. I have a 94 RT/10 and a 99 GTS and love 'em both for different reasons. If you are going to drive it a lot i would suggest a GTS .If you don't mind the wind whistling through your windows and like the loudness of the sidepipes along with the convertible aspect,then get the RT/10...Personally the looks of my 94 RT/10 grabs attention but for something more drivable anytime the GTS is better for me and i can actually hear the Radio!. BTW,once you get a Viper you will never go back :drive:

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a '87 GT, '94 GT, '93 Cobra, two 2003 10th Ann. Cobras and a Lightning. I finally got a '00 GTS and I have been happy with it. I do plan on getting another 1993 Cobra but only "in addition to" the Viper.

Summary: Get a GTS. :)

Since we are sharing photos of Mustangs...here are some of my old ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the rt/10. To me, it's what viper is all about. That was one of my big reasons why I bought an rt when I first started looking. The other reason being that every viper I had seen in person since '96 was a gts. You will not regret getting the rt/10.

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
from

to

and I couldn't be happier.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a '87 GT, '94 GT, '93 Cobra, two 2003 10th Ann. Cobras and a Lightning. I finally got a '00 GTS and I have been happy with it. I do plan on getting another 1993 Cobra but only "in addition to" the Viper.

Summary: Get a GTS. :)

Since we are sharing photos of Mustangs...here are some of my old ones.

Great looking cars! Especially the red/silver GTS...Best color option ever! :2tu:

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also own a 2003 Silver 10th but plan to upgrade to a Viper sometime in the near future...

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 svt cobra
Sorry, this is not a "Cobra" It's a Mustang. Mustangs are Mustangs. I understand the desire to relate your cars to the great Shelby Cobra...... but no. Call it a mustang or a Mustang Cobra, but NOT just Cobra. :nono:

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, this is not a "Cobra" It's a Mustang. Mustangs are Mustangs. I understand the desire to relate your cars to the great Shelby Cobra...... but no. Call it a mustang or a Mustang Cobra, but NOT just Cobra. :nono:

I hope you are kidding...:lmao:

:dunno:

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

who cares really, if i say svt cobra people will know that im not talking about a shelby cobra, its like saying lightning instead of f-150

anyway back to topic, i think i have found the one, its a 1997 rt/10. red 18750 miles, for $27K CDN, that would be like me getting one in the US for $23K, which i think is a good deal, the only problem is that he only has the hardtop and the car needs tires. everything else looks new. i just dont like the red accents to much but ill keep the original look in the car. Also it has a smoothie hood and i like the naca duct of the newer ones, maybe ill have just the duct installed later. Is the front fascia the newer style one compared to the gen1? i cant tell

i was reading about the short shifter installs but i remember someone posting something about a shorter rod swap out so that i dont need to do the drilling and all. i cant find any info using the search. if anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated.

I cant wait to be a viper owner, its like accomplishing the ultimate dream for me, just wished the snow melted faster so i can go get her

V

Venomiss

Since you are from Canada you might find these helpful from Quebec, Ontario, & Western Canada.

VIPER CLUB OF AMERICA QUEBEC, Home of fastest cars on earth

Viper Club of Ontario | Home

Western Canada Viper Club - Home

I'd find out if anyone knows the history of this viper you are looking at first.
Then find someone to inspect the car for you on a lift. Ask other viper owners from your regional area who they recommend or use.
Don't buy a headache if you can help it and purchase some peace of mind.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who cares really, if i say svt cobra people will know that im not talking about a shelby cobra, its like saying lightning instead of f-150

anyway back to topic, i think i have found the one, its a 1997 rt/10. red 18750 miles, for $27K CDN, that would be like me getting one in the US for $23K, which i think is a good deal, the only problem is that he only has the hardtop and the car needs tires. everything else looks new. i just dont like the red accents to much but ill keep the original look in the car. Also it has a smoothie hood and i like the naca duct of the newer ones, maybe ill have just the duct installed later. Is the front fascia the newer style one compared to the gen1? i cant tell

i was reading about the short shifter installs but i remember someone posting something about a shorter rod swap out so that i dont need to do the drilling and all. i cant find any info using the search. if anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated.

I cant wait to be a viper owner, its like accomplishing the ultimate dream for me, just wished the snow melted faster so i can go get her

Just wondering, is this the 97' you're looking at?
1997 Viper RT/10 - ViperClub Classifieds

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you are from Canada you might find these helpful from Quebec, Ontario, & Western Canada.

VIPER CLUB OF AMERICA QUEBEC, Home of fastest cars on earth

Viper Club of Ontario | Home

Western Canada Viper Club - Home

I'd find out if anyone knows the history of this viper you are looking at first.
Then find someone to inspect the car for you on a lift. Ask other viper owners from your regional area who they recommend or use.
Don't buy a headache if you can help it and purchase some peace of mind.

thanks alot actually for the links, i never knew about them

i havent seen the car yet live but will be driving down in january, then ill get the VIN and research to find the history on it. This site has been the most helpful of all the car forums i have subscribed to before purchasing a car

thanks alot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave