RB1 install question?

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was attempting to install RB1 in my 04 SRT-10 but was not able to do it. I can't fully take off the dash cover where the radio is, I took off the screws but I was not able to disconnect the AC module, do you have to disconnect it? I got the start button disconnected. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or a step by step would be awesome.

Does anybody have an extra navigation disc to sell? I am also willing to take a copy. Let me know.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was attempting to install RB1 in my 04 SRT-10 but was not able to do it. I can't fully take off the dash cover where the radio is, I took off the screws but I was not able to disconnect the AC module, do you have to disconnect it? I got the start button disconnected. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or a step by step would be awesome.

Does anybody have an extra navigation disc to sell? I am also willing to take a copy. Let me know.

The wires on my '06 were real short too. I did get it off, and yes you'll need to get that little panel out in order to get the heads in/out and also place the antenna on that top brace way in the back. You also need to pull the console top and switch wires as well as the shifter handle.

You might have a tough time copying that DVD, it's copy protected. If you have a commercial burning setup you can probably make copies easily. Try fleabay, I see those all the time there.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's tough to get off, but you will have to disconnect... also, here's a copy of the instructions I created when I did my install awhile ago...

1. Tape the bottom part of the front panel to prevent scratches
2. Remove the 6 screws on the front plastic panel, but don't try to remove the panel just yet. There is a 7th screw hidden by the bottom panel that you'll need to remove as well.
3. Remove the screws around the shifter and the metal piece surrounding the shifter too.
4. Remove the shift knob by first loosening the nut at the bottom of the shifter. When you look at it, it will look like it's just one nut, but there's actually two parts to it. You'll need two wrenches to do this. A 3/4 wrench on the nut and a 5/8 wrench on the shift knob wrench flats. Arrange it so you can "squeeze" the two wrenches in your hand to pop the nut loose. once the nut is loose, it just unscrews.
5. Lift up the panel around the shifter. This was tough for me to figure out, but it lifts up easy if you grab it through the shifter boot, and start with the driver side, back corner. it "pops" up.
6. Disconnect the window switch and Power outlet and lift the panel up. It will lift off over the emergency brake. (the sleeve at the bottom of the emergency brake will slide over the handle)
7. Now, remove the 7th screw holding in the front plastic panel and take that panel off. I also removed the screws to the left and right of the 7th screw. From the back of this panel, you'll have to disconnect the start button and a/c controls.
8. Now you'll have access to the radio...The radio just has 4 screws holding it in, so it's easy to remove. The screw in the upper right corner of the radio is the most difficult to get out because the passenger side of the dash is blocking it slightly. I had to pop-out the passenger side of the dash slightly to get access to it. It pops out just like the bottom panel does since it's held in with clips. You only need to pop it out enough so that you have room to wiggle the radio out.
9. Once you get to this point, you'll just remove the wiring harness from the back of the radio. The harness plugs into the exact same spots on the back of the RB-1.
10. Mounting the Navigation antenna was the tricky part. I originally mounted it on the back of the RB-1, but didn't get very good reception, so I actually had to go through this process twice. The 2nd time, I decided to mount it above the radio in the little space above the radio and under the two vents. Now, I get perfect reception.

The instructions for the radio say that you should disconnect the battery before installing. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did my install.

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's tough to get off, but you will have to disconnect... also, here's a copy of the instructions I created when I did my install awhile ago...

1. Tape the bottom part of the front panel to prevent scratches
2. Remove the 6 screws on the front plastic panel, but don't try to remove the panel just yet. There is a 7th screw hidden by the bottom panel that you'll need to remove as well.
3. Remove the screws around the shifter and the metal piece surrounding the shifter too.
4. Remove the shift knob by first loosening the nut at the bottom of the shifter. When you look at it, it will look like it's just one nut, but there's actually two parts to it. You'll need two wrenches to do this. A 3/4 wrench on the nut and a 5/8 wrench on the shift knob wrench flats. Arrange it so you can "squeeze" the two wrenches in your hand to pop the nut loose. once the nut is loose, it just unscrews.
5. Lift up the panel around the shifter. This was tough for me to figure out, but it lifts up easy if you grab it through the shifter boot, and start with the driver side, back corner. it "pops" up.
6. Disconnect the window switch and Power outlet and lift the panel up. It will lift off over the emergency brake. (the sleeve at the bottom of the emergency brake will slide over the handle)
7. Now, remove the 7th screw holding in the front plastic panel and take that panel off. I also removed the screws to the left and right of the 7th screw. From the back of this panel, you'll have to disconnect the start button and a/c controls.
8. Now you'll have access to the radio...The radio just has 4 screws holding it in, so it's easy to remove. The screw in the upper right corner of the radio is the most difficult to get out because the passenger side of the dash is blocking it slightly. I had to pop-out the passenger side of the dash slightly to get access to it. It pops out just like the bottom panel does since it's held in with clips. You only need to pop it out enough so that you have room to wiggle the radio out.
9. Once you get to this point, you'll just remove the wiring harness from the back of the radio. The harness plugs into the exact same spots on the back of the RB-1.
10. Mounting the Navigation antenna was the tricky part. I originally mounted it on the back of the RB-1, but didn't get very good reception, so I actually had to go through this process twice. The 2nd time, I decided to mount it above the radio in the little space above the radio and under the two vents. Now, I get perfect reception.

The instructions for the radio say that you should disconnect the battery before installing. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did my install.
Thank you very much

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, when I installed everything back it seems that the dash cover doesn't sit flush above the AC controls even after all the bolts installed. Is it normal?

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, when I installed everything back it seems that the dash cover doesn't sit flush above the AC controls even after all the bolts installed. Is it normal?

no.
its a hassle but i think u pinched a wire or something. it should all go back flush.
when i had my 06 and i put the rb1 in it, my buddy had to help because his hands are smaller and could connect/reconnect the switches easier.
its a *****, but i think u have to take the panel off again.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont think that is normal. you square everything away?

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to thank you for all your help. I finally installed the navigation system and it works flawlessly. I placed the antenna right on the metal bracket above the radio and the reception is great. The one issue I am still having is on right bottom side of the navigation unit, the dash doesn't sit flat. The dash comes out a little bit, which kind of annoys me. Also I am still looking for a navigation disc, I am trying to get a new AI version disc. If any body has one to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to thank you for all your help. I finally installed the navigation system and it works flawlessly. I placed the antenna right on the metal bracket above the radio and the reception is great. The one issue I am still having is on right bottom side of the navigation unit, the dash doesn't sit flat. The dash comes out a little bit, which kind of annoys me. Also I am still looking for a navigation disc, I am trying to get a new AI version disc. If any body has one to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

it should fit flush. did you pull the panel off and have a look?
can you post a pic and show us what u mean?

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have checked everything and there is nothing blocking it. Plus there is nothing behind that panel to push it out. Anyhow I will take pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pictures, sorry for the delay had a busy weekend.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it looks like the panel itself is sitting flush.
the only thing i can tell from the pics that might bother me a little, is how the nav unit seems to have a little gap between itself and right side of the panel.
is that your complaint?
i hate to say it, but more pics might help. one that shows the whole unit in one pic.
is your complaint that the nav unit looks a little recessed into the dash?
if so, pull it back out and put a spacer/washer underneath the screws.

edit...reread your post. you say it doesnt sit flush above the a/c controls panel? hmmmmmm, i dont see anything wrong with it as far as most vipers interior fit and finish.
someone else will chime in. we may need more pics to go on, but besides the gap between the right side of the nav unit and the panel, i dont see anything out of the norm.
maybe im missing it?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the spacing is common. This is a pic from a 2010 ACR.

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/VooDoo_Interior.jpg[/media]

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, there should be another bolt or clip from the factory but its not going to happen. Oh well I am going to have to get used to it, thats all.

Sameyeyam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did an RB1 install on my 05 today. Took 30min including drilling out a hole for the iPod adapter. I velcro'd the nav antenna behind the cluster trim and right between the air ducts that are above the radio. Everything works like a charm and sounds much better than the original 6 disc. No issues at all with the GPS reception. Thanks a lot to everyone on this thread for the tips. Was a piece of cake.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Old thread. But ya the RB1 is pretty decent. Has 2 downfalls though. For one you need to have the navigation DVD in in order to use the GPS, and it doesn't come with an aux in the front like pretty much any modern head unit. Nothing a 6 disc changer and ipod add on cable doesn't solve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper