New Viper for Steer / Track Days, Setup

yellow02z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06 owner, raced wheel to wheel for 4 years, many track days, etc. Did 15 days / races a year avg.

Likely to buy 05 or 06, because I am tired of the Vette, and want a convertible. But I will want to do some track days in the Viper, and have some questions.

The Vette got very hot in track sessions, and I added trans cooler, diff cooler, big radiator, went through a number of brake setups, before I got to a fade free setup. I blew an engine (it did have a big cam, and it was 4 years of racing, but...) replaced a trans (x2), diffs (x2), etc. I also have roll bar, racing seat, track tires, etc. etc.

So here is the questions. Do I have to do all that cooling, etc. to keep the thing alive on the track? Do you feel Vipers are up to track abuse? Are those little roll bars sufficient for rollover protection? I would be doing less days than in the past with Vette, maybe 3 a year...I would street drive a good bit.

Thanks!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Racing wheel-to-wheel in a Gen 3 04-06VERT: 25-30 minute events, practices, and qualifying, Sanctioning Body/Venue? You will need to strip the interior and the stock exhaust. OE Cast and Exh are HOT. Go Hi-Flow. Hot-Lapping Track days Alone? Not 'real' racing? Keep the interior. WHERE ARE YOU? Some Regional clubs can help right away.

You need lighter wheels than most OE, and some sticky rubber. 18" will be best/fastest/cheapest. And some lighter rotors and pads with BITE.

Those little bars are called Sport Bars and wont pass tech in any venue, and won't save your life. A baseball bat swung in anger will knock them off the car. ROLL BAR and harness.

Hot-Lap days can skip the Trans-Diff coolers, but 15 events a year? Protect the motor and do them!

Thats enuf to get you thinking, good luck in finding a car: There some great deals on Gen 3s right now

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen IV would be a better platform to start with, better oiling system or upgrade the Gen III to it for about 2K.

Vipers are much tougher than Vettes and will stand much more track abuse. You should not need extra coolers if you run 25 minute sessions.

For three or four events a year;

1 - upgrade the oiling system if Gen III (Viper Specialties)
2 - add a roll bar, six points and fire extenguisher
3 - pick up a set of track tires and wheels (Jon B)
4 - use mobil1 15w50 and motul brake / clutch fluids, freshen the coolant
5 - get a street / track alignment

Go have fun. You will be surprised at how well most Gen III's and Gen IV's do at the track.

You can always add a bunch of other upgrades, headers, exhaust, gears, brake pads, rotors, etc. etc. if you want to go a bit faster, but you won't need any of that to get started.

Dan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan, curious why the 15w50 oil recommendation? Also, is that for both Gen 3 & 4?

Dodge recommends 15w50 for track use. Track use develops more heat than street use, therefore, higher viscosity oil does a better job.

Specifically, the Gen IV's variable cam is operated by oil pressure. Better oil pressure will result in better cam performance and therefore better hp / tq production when hot - like at the race track.

Most of us track our cars during the warmer months but if you live in cooler weather and track your car under very cool conditions, likely the factory fill would be OK.

I've run Mobil1 15w50 in Gen II, III and IV at the track and found it to work very well.

Dan

OP
OP
Y

yellow02z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the help, i did not have email notification so I didn't know anyone replied. Any pics of cars with roll bars? The stock brakes are 4 piston Brembos? Will they hold up to a 25 min session without fade with good fluid and pads? Motor (oil),trans, or diff doesn't overheat? All this stuff had to be upgraded on my Vette to handle track sessions / races

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
thanks for the help, i did not have email notification so I didn't know anyone replied. Any pics of cars with roll bars?

PM me at [email protected] for photos

The stock brakes are 4 piston Brembos? Will they hold up to a 25 min session without fade with good fluid and pads?

Yes. You can upgrade the pads for better "bite".

Motor (oil),trans, or diff doesn't overheat? All this stuff had to be upgraded on my Vette to handle track sessions / races

No, it won't.

See my post above.

Dan

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advise above!

I tracked my '02Z06 for 4 yrs (DE's), had all the coolers.
Track my GenII now, it overheats but not nearly as much as the vette did! My right side was always hot from the trans. in the Z06. I was disappointed in the GenII stock brakes so I upgraded to stoptechs.

You will absolutely love the Viper on the track!!!

V

Venomiss

thanks for the help, i did not have email notification so I didn't know anyone replied. Any pics of cars with roll bars? The stock brakes are 4 piston Brembos? Will they hold up to a 25 min session without fade with good fluid and pads? Motor (oil),trans, or diff doesn't overheat? All this stuff had to be upgraded on my Vette to handle track sessions / races

Try the search, plug in roll bars, and start reading.
There are many threads listed and some already have pictures like this one:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...4-rollbar-pictures-comments-convertibles.html

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yellowO2z:

My first track upgrade and I am surprised no one mentioned it above was upgraded break lines. While the stock ones work fine on the street the heat at the track did have an effect on my stopping abilities. The upgrade is relatively inexpensive but had a major impact when combined with race pads on stopping power. Also get an autoform or other roll bar, the tin cans that come with the vert are for show only.

Richard

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree 100%......the SS Brake Lines provide a much better pedal feel, better brake modulation, cold, or hot. Your braking points are consistent with SS lines, they migrate backwards with OE / Rubber lines! Add a good performance pad and the SS lines....its like a "Stage One" Brake Upgrade...

OP
OP
Y

yellow02z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge recommends 15w50 for track use. Track use develops more heat than street use, therefore, higher viscosity oil does a better job.

Specifically, the Gen IV's variable cam is operated by oil pressure. Better oil pressure will result in better cam performance and therefore better hp / tq production when hot - like at the race track.

Most of us track our cars during the warmer months but if you live in cooler weather and track your car under very cool conditions, likely the factory fill would be OK.

I've run Mobil1 15w50 in Gen II, III and IV at the track and found it to work very well.

Dan

What is the Diff, ie Dana, Getrag, or? No stock cooler on 2003-2006?
The trans is same as my 02 vette (Tremec 6 speed), which got very hot, I have had to rebuild/replace twice. No cooler stock? The only reason I could see a Viper trans running cooler maybe is that on the Vette its bolted to the Diff in the rear, Viper has conventional setup..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss