new guy and 99 Viper GTS in VA

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I might jump in here for a couple reasons. First, I totaled a GTS in 2006 that wound up in a VERY large salvage yard in the same city in Virginia. Don't worry about it being the same car as mine was a 2000 but these guys did seem to recycle a bunch Vipers out of this geographic area, and this is NOT a large town. That does NOT mean the car is not OK.
And I will throw this out to my fellow regional members, is Bryon Muller still doing his Viper thing out of Fredricksburg VA? If so a couple hundred bucks might send him in the direction of this car and I think he could determine for sure if this car was OK. He did it for me when we went up to NJ and I bought my replacement GTS. I was impressed with his inspection, he jacked up the car in the showroom to look at it underneath as they did not have a lift.

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't noted anyone talking about the major title problem and odometer problem being "not actual odometer reading" issues with this car that came up on the AutoCheck. Perhaps I missed the discussion on this, but it looks like this car might be one to avoid. There is so much "hide the pickle" and "smoke and mirror" games when it comes to Vipers. It freaks me out to know that one could spend $60K+ on a car that was totalled, salvaged, run through Texas, rebuilt, title scrubbed clean...behold...a pale horse, I mean, a reconstructed Viper sold as new, low miles, never been raced, all original, no stories, MINT, babied, garage queen, never seen rain (nevermind the broadside of an Oak tree or the underside of a ravine) and finally...lady driven. This crapiola is frustrating to say the least. For this reason, I have bought my Vipers new.
Without a VCA friend inspecting the car for you, I wouldn't even dream of buying a used Viper with such a shady history. The good news is that the VCA is filled with great people who will look out for your best interests. Best of luck.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI Carfax/Autocheck are not God.... especially when it comes to odometer discrepencies... it's very easy for a paperwork glitch to trigger it and very very hard to get it removed.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't noted anyone talking about the major title problem and odometer problem being "not actual odometer reading" issues with this car that came up on the AutoCheck.

I noticed that already; the Carfax notes it was basically a typo during registration that was later fixed.

The funny thing is that I was looking at it when it was at Burns (dealership) of Gaffney, SC. I happened to be on vacation and they "sold it" when I got back... evidently to this dealership.

Again though, if there are other '99 gts black on black out there, I'm listening... or someone to inspect this one of course.

Thanks again for the great warm welcome :2tu: and all the help with this :2tu:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carfax and autocheck might not be god. But the value of that car IS ABSOLUTELY dimminished by what that report says. No question about it.. Seriously dimminished.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carfax and autocheck might not be god. But the value of that car IS ABSOLUTELY dimminished by what that report says. No question about it.. Seriously dimminished.
It depends... I use it more to know how closely I need to check a car over. Things like odometer discrepencies are usually errors these days. Documented accidents and title history are another thing.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

To nit-pick one statement on the website ("Only 36 made in black with the ACR package"). According to the International Viper Registry, 73 were made black in 2000, 39 solid and 34 w/ stripes. I'm picky about claims of exclusivity.

The dealer plate appears to have expired back in Jan. If it was valid at the time of the picture, that means they have had this car for a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh