new guy and 99 Viper GTS in VA

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm pondering my first viper purchase. A supposed 2 owner, 13k mile black on black '99 GTS is waiting for me in Wytheville VA. I've been emailing back and forth with a sales guy there.

He says the car is "mint" in every way. No rust, curb rash, or other blemishes.

Anything else to look out for? I've built 4 cyl turbo cars and now I'm possibly graduating to my dream car.

Here's the link: Used 1999 Dodge Viper GTS For Sale | Wytheville VA

Thanks for your time, and greetings from Albuquerque, NM.

Also, I guess I should mention I have the read the posts and know in general what to look for. I simply don't want to overlook anything. Any tell tale signs of damage or anything like that would be helpful. It has a clean carfax too.

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks very STOCK! The e-brake boot seems to have an issue and it amazes me that people selling cars can't detail an interior before taking pictures, but other than that nothing real telling from their pictures/video. The video did say that it was a 12 cylinder, but I'm sure you know it's a 10 :D.

eurowalt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea car looks great and I agree detail the car before posting sales pics. Ask for if any service receipts. Very important!!!!! Best of luck and congrats!!!!

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you said 99 GTS for sale in Central Va,i panicked! Thought my wife was selling mine :)...this one looks sharp to me. Good luck!

p.s. You will love it!

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharp looking car! Black/Black 99 GTS is what I wanted when I was Viper shopping, unfortunately ever black one I could find was infested with cognac. lol

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you said 99 GTS for sale in Central Va,i panicked! Thought my wife was selling mine :)...this one looks sharp to me. Good luck!

p.s. You will love it!

That's pretty funny. Glad she wasn't.

Regarding the car:

The car looks pretty good. Not sure if the tires are orignal, but if they are, plan on replacing them. I would also ask for service records to see if antifreeze, brake, tranny and diff fluid has ever been changed. Inspect the car on a lift prior to purchase just to make sure nothing is hidden underneath. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
paint could use a correction. So plan on $500 for that, to someone who knows that they are doing. But it will look like glass, when done

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I agree it's not detailed as it should be and the interior is a little dirty, but, unless you were sarcastic, how do you think it has had a "hard life?"

I will check on service records too.

Would a compression/leak down check be warranted too?

Last edited:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell if it had a 'rough life' just by photos. Sometimes pics can show some things and not others. I didn't see any blaring defects myself .Just looks like a good wash and wax inside and out would probably suffice,but it is just very hard to see everything by pics over the internet. Mileage isn't very high for a twelve year old car.Hope it works out and everything exceeds your expectations.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know,i went back and looked harder and it does look like some rough places on the paint. Especially front of the hood. Is that reddish looking place just an illusion or what is it? I would advise you fly out and check it out in person before spending that much money. Just be careful before commiting .I was lucky and bought mine from a man in ST. Louis and had it shipped. Other than a very few small scratches and swirl marks mine was in very good condition. I will have the local Dodge dealership correct all that for me. My best advice now is to really make sure you are getting what you want on this deal. Still could be a great car,but looks to need some pretty extensive paint correction as someone said before in a post.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta believe there are other GTSs as good or better and much closer to NM. Heck I am in Va and still 203 miles from this car. Good luck

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty funny. Glad she wasn't.

Regarding the car:

The car looks pretty good. Not sure if the tires are orignal, but if they are, plan on replacing them. I would also ask for service records to see if antifreeze, brake, tranny and diff fluid has ever been changed. Inspect the car on a lift prior to purchase just to make sure nothing is hidden underneath. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

haha, i am glad to! Actually she encouraged me to get both my Vipers. Guys here with wives that love their man seem to understand it is more than just a car they are buying. In many cases,it is a dream come true getting a Viper.:drive:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing to remember about a black/black '99 GTS is how much faster they are than other Vipers. Beautiful young women seem un-naturally attracted to them as well, so be prepared. True story.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People don't always realize how big Virginia is.... Wythevill is nearly 7 hours from me here at the coast in Va Beach! Played golf in college wtih two guys from that area.... Wytheville adn Abbingdon.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you get someone on here to check it out for you?

It would definitely help me out; I'm a gearhead but I'm not familiar with the 8.0L. If anyone is willing I'd paypal them some dinner money for the trouble.

I don't think the dealer understands what my definition of "mint" is; he says it's mint, but trusting people has gotten me in trouble before.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never ever trust a car salesman/dealer.... and this is coming from someone who used to sell cars. Personally, I was always 100% honest and accurate, but I'm a detail-oriented (read anal) car enthusiast and I certainly wasn't the norm. I sold Porsches/Audis/Jags so the crew at that store was better than others, but some still played the same old car games... especially when dealing with the pre-owned inventory.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never ever trust a car salesman/dealer.... and this is coming from someone who used to sell cars. Personally, I was always 100% honest and accurate, but I'm a detail-oriented (read anal) car enthusiast and I certainly wasn't the norm. I sold Porsches/Audis/Jags so the crew at that store was better than others, but some still played the same old car games... especially when dealing with the pre-owned inventory.

Do any of you folks know of reputable viper techs in the area?

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm nearly 7 hours of the way... so no. Like I said I played on the golf team in college w/ 2 guys from the area and it's very much country out there from the times I went to visit. Ther's some old money in the area, but it's still country. I'd be very surprised if there were any Viper techs anywhere close to that neck of the woods. Your best bet is to find a local viper owner who can look the car over.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm nearly 7 hours of the way... so no. Like I said I played on the golf team in college w/ 2 guys from the area and it's very much country out there from the times I went to visit. Ther's some old money in the area, but it's still country. I'd be very surprised if there were any Viper techs anywhere close to that neck of the woods. Your best bet is to find a local viper owner who can look the car over.

I figured... awaiting nice country VA people now :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Wytheville is right next door to "the middle of nowhere". if you're serious about the car, I can ask our local members if someone from the Richmond area can get out and take a look at it for you, but it's several hours even from Richmond, so round trip, it's at least a half-day event. Something more than dinner money may be warranted in that case.

I wouldn't bet on a Viper competent dealer in the area..you're talking farm country here...big time.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Wytheville is right next door to "the middle of nowhere". if you're serious about the car, I can ask our local members if someone from the Richmond area can get out and take a look at it for you, but it's several hours even from Richmond, so round trip, it's at least a half-day event. Something more than dinner money may be warranted in that case.

I wouldn't bet on a Viper competent dealer in the area..you're talking farm country here...big time.

Yep, the exact car I want has to be in the middle of nowhere. If anyone knows of a similarly priced black on black 99 coupe, let me know. I guess I just have to get out there myself.

I thought the ebay pics were a little better than the dealer pics; that gave me a little hope.

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, seriously, if anyone is competent and willing to check it out, please give me your $$$ requirements. For me to get out there would be a royal pain in the butt with my work schedule and the fact it's Nowhere, USA.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 5 1/2 hours from me. If not for being disabled i would go,but honestly i am a fair newby myself and wouldn't trust myself to give advice on something so big. I generally can only drive or ride for a couple hours at the most now. Was going for a drive to Skyline drive which is only an hour and a half from me,but just cancelled that too.***** to be like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456