2012 Viper model was introduced at Orlando, Fl.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2012 Viper revealed to dealership!

Ralph has been a big part of this I'm sure . So I would expect that it will be Incredible . I'm just happy to hear of the Viper living on . I will stay optomistic about the details until I see it . Hopefully at VOI !!!!

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... and this over on Allpar.com.....

"The big news is the new Dodge Viper, driven in to the amazement of everyone there. It is apparently a big styling change and people raved about it. The looks are more upscale, and word is that the product committee took just five minutes to unanimously approve the car."

The key difference in this report are the words "driven in". This also confirms the "big styling change".
One thing that is keeping me upbeat is that all the reports talk about a big styling change but everyone loves it. I think if there were ANYTHING negative about the new style, we would be hearing it.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 2 vehicles in that Autoblog article are examples of what needs to wind back to it's heritage, it's just my opinion, yet it's how they started..

For example, I would be one of the first in line to buy a Jeep Gladiator pickup if they offer a basic package and if they don't escalate the costs due to limited extensive trim packages. I just want a 4x4 pickup with a decent motor and sparse trim, for example Land Rover still offers an agricultural plain jane 4x4 with painted steel wheels, saw them when I was in England working next door to LR the other year.

vipertv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this is very good news, indeed! No offense to 2003-2010 owners, but I hope the Viper's "new" looks go back to the feel of the original. There is nothing like 1992-2002s curves and side scallops!

//purist off//
A V8 offering may somewhat tarnish the Viper's rep, however, in these economical times it does seem to make a bit of financial sense.
//purist on//

-STL

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... and here it is! Oh wait, that's a TVR aboRT10n. Sorry bout that.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they have a factory? Engine? It has to pass a zillion regs? How is it possible that it can be a 2012? I assume they mean comes out in 12 as a 13. Anyone want to buy a slightly used FE?

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, seriously. Here's a post I found earlier today. Not sure how much to trust this post but the 700hp rating seems to be a consistent theme.

Dodge Viper, Next Generation To Come – Mibz.com​

September 13th, 2010. American supercar engine will hide under the hood an engine able to offer 700 HP.

After reaching in the garages of 25,000 customers worldwide, from 1992 to present, Dodge Viper supercar, an iconic model for the American automaker, has said this year goodbye to his fans. Not for long however, because the American automaker intends to launch a new generation with Italian partner Fiat.
The first sign of cooperation between the two parties could come just over two years, when in a major auto show overseas, Dodge will display concept which anticipates the next generation Viper.

To cope with the current competition in the exotic models segment, the supercar will need a powerful engine capable of delivering unbeatable performance, but accpetabil consumption. But Americans will not fall prey to eco temptation and will keep under the body a gasoline engine, ten-cylinder V and an impressive capacity of 8.4 liters. The engine will have the latest direct injection technology and will be able to deliver a total of 700 HP, while obeying the rules of pollution.

The chassis will not be completely changed, but there is a considerable improvement of the steering and maneuverability implicitly. Traditional spirit it will be not affected, the driver will have a manual box and security system that can be completely disable . Unofficially sources announces even a partnership with Ferrari in this area, the Italians will advise on the development of electronic control systems.
Dodge could launch an entry-level version of its Viper, driven by a V8 engine with something more modest performance​

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ralph has done right by viper to this point. hope he doesn't screw it up

v10
bring back some curves (dont over do it)
no nanny crap

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more and in my humble opinion I can't see them doing this. It would seriously dilute the brand. Part of the Viper's charm is that it's a relatively limited production vehicle and it doesn't come in a "lite" version.

And that would be the stupidest move ever. We do not need a baby version of the Viper. For the love of car guys, don't wussify the Viper! :crazy2: No V10=No Viper!

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was printed in the Wall Street Journal. Very interesting......

"The Dodge Viper hot-rod will be back in 2012. The concept vehicle displayed at the meeting had been painted more than 25 times with a candy-apple red to give it a sleek appeal. The vehicle is more upscale and has moved away from its race car image. Dealers said they were told the company’s new product committee took one look at the Viper and unanimously approved its production within five minutes."

I sincerely hope the next Viper will not lose its race car image, and be turned into an American version of European luxury sports car.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO it's only logical for the Viper to have a few more creature comforts and accomodate taller/larger drivers. Yes the Viper purist loves the spartan/Shelby Cobra/kit car feel, but the average consumer looking to spend $100k +/- doesn't enjoy that. They need to make some money off of the car vs. just having it as a halo car.

I think the latest C6 Corvettes show that you can make a car daily drivable but still deliver blistering performance i.e. the C6 ZR1. I'm not saying Dodge should make a V8 $45k direct competitor for the base Corvette, but they should move a bit in that direction which it sounds like they're doing.

A rear mounted transmission (as they've mentioned in some of these articles) would go a long way to improving ergonomics and the interior not to mention weight distribution.

Can't wait to see some real shots.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe V8 version will be called a "Garter" snake without the venomous bite of the V-10 Viper. I do like my V-10, but a 426 cid Hemi SRT8 V8 (which versions have been running around for years now) with 550+ HP and that great Hemi V-8 sound does sound interesting as well. As I plan on keeping my GEN III, if the price was right, I might even be interested in the smaller brother.

Hey the Cobra (the Viper's forefather here) had a 289 cid version and a 427 version, so it is inevitable we would end up with a smaller brother. If the smaller V-8 model is required to kick up the business case and allows the V-10 model to be built as well, so be it. Today we can not have our cake and eat it to, though a new Gen V V-10 with 700 HP is A LOT of cake.

Can't wait for VOI11. Hey look on the positive side as they did not push a twin turbo V-6 model like Corvette is toying with for the next generation. Those GM boys are in bed with the government regs now. They might even have a Asian sourced inline four to look forward to for the next generation.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would be more like a ring neck snake on a v8----thats just so wrong---uuuugg..cant go backwards----v8 option i dont like:crazy2: but thats just me..it may handle better on the track due to the heavier v-10 plowing through the turns,verses a lighter v-8--- ya, v8 track set up car.. v10 super autobahn-------------

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no serious discussion of a TT V6 for the C7. There is talk of an eco-boosted Mustang GT seeing as Ford can make lots of power with that package.

GM (and Chrysler) knows you can make lots of power and get good fuel economy with the current V8s via variable cam phasing and direct injection. The Current 6.2L LS3 makes 436 crank horse. They did a DI test motor in a Suburban test vehicle and it was makint 470 crank power with better fuel economy with no other major changes.

Not that it matters for Viper, but most see the next Corvette having a 5.5L direct-injected V8 due to the homologation rules for ALMS GT2 racnig.

I really don't see any real demand for a V8 Viper, but I do see demand for better ergonomics and better inerior build quality/material quality.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe V8 version will be called a "Garter" snake without the venomous bite of the V-10 Viper. I do like my V-10, but a 426 cid Hemi SRT8 V8 (which versions have been running around for years now) with 550+ HP and that great Hemi V-8 sound does sound interesting as well. As I plan on keeping my GEN III, if the price was right, I might even be interested in the smaller brother.

umm...425 HP to the Flywheel, 390 to the rear, 6.1L is actually a 370 cid motor, hence why there's kits and such to bore them to 392's and 426's.

Wait till later on this year till early next year when the 6.4L arrives in the Challenger. They've been testing the new Charger SRT8 out in the desert against the CTS-V and we all know how much power that thing makes.

As for the next gen Viper, good luck with that. I'll just keep loving the Gen I/II's.

--RS

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe V8 version will be called a "Garter" snake without the venomous bite of the V-10 Viper.

I thought the same thing but it just seemed to silly to post..:lmao: J/K

Actually they should carry over the 600hp Gen4 motor as is and then offer a 700hp version... They could add a few creature comforts and switchable nannies without ruining the character of the car...

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Actually they should carry over the 600hp Gen4 motor as is and then offer a 700hp version... They could add a few creature comforts and switchable nannies without ruining the character of the car...

Best idea yet:2tu:

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
perhaps they should just take the current GEN4 motor and use that as the little brother, then contract UGR to make the big brother twin turbo motor with 800bhp! that would wake up neighbours! heeeeeeeeeee

But in all seriousness they should take 3-4yr hiatus, during that time race the GEN V in all the race series ie leman, alms, sebring, etc...with a bit of disguised panels and then bring out the car, this way when it hits the streets it will have claim to fame in winning and dominating all of those prestigious races! and they can charge an arm and a leg!

Also give it pneumatic jacks to elevate the car when parked, that would look soooooooooooo cool! haaaaaaa after all we dont want to flat spot our garage queens with race rubber.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full size mock up shown in Orlando was not "driven" in. It was already on stage when the curtain opened. I believe that it probably represented what could be called a late stage investigative effort of the Gen V Viper for the 2013 model year. That is the only thing that makes sense based on the time it takes to fully develop a new Generation. Time lines can only be collapsed so much. The approval for the car, based on Herb's recent thread requesting that we provide are pro Viper comments so that he could show them to managment, must have occurred at the end of August or the first week of September. So what the dealers saw must have been the mock up ( I am assuming there was one because how else could they have approved production without one?) shown at the product meeting. Nothing else makes any sense.

Last edited:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lets not forget that the Viper has set many records, not just in racing but also in design to production times. Dodge astonished the automotive world with the 1989 - 1992 concept to production time line. In this case they are not starting from scratch and have a working platform to work off and would only be making changes. It is not unrealistic to think that they could have a production ready design by this time and to be able to start production in mid 2012 for a early 2013 release. Think of all the testing and redevelopment they have already done that was implemented in the 2010 models. That alone has had me believing for some time now that there was plausibility of a 2012 release. Why else would Chrysler invest in the r&d to improve the viper in aerodynamics and gear ratios if they were only planning on implementing the changes in one model year?

Can anyone that was at the meeting confirm that the photo released by road and track is NOT the gen 5 concept?

With the new direction that Chrysler has been going with Ralph at the helm, I could see them offering more "package" options in the viper. There has been a lot of interest shown in the idea of an upgraded interior option as well as transmission options even suggested by Ralph Gilles himself. Even though the purists may not be interested in paddle shifter, stability control, plush interior options, it would broaden the viper market. There has been talk about a v8 powered "viper like" model for years, the 2005 V8 Firepower concept and the 1997 v6 copperhead concept are two that come to mind. I think it would be a great idea to offer a V8 powered car on the viper chassis to share production cost and widen the market.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with a V8 Version of the Viper . They have the Challenger , Charger and 300C for the V8 let the Viper stay V10 only IMO .

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge wants to make a new V8 sportscar, I support that 100%. Unlike the Challenger, make its weight reasonable. But, whatever they do, please do not give it the name Viper! When you're the big man on campus (V10 Viper), the last thing you want is your little brother from middle school showing up and claiming he's also a big dog just because you share the same last name (V8 Viper). As many yellow jokes have been made, the thought of a real V8 Viper makes my skin crawl. If someone wants a top of the line sportscar but doesn't want a V10, I believe your local Chevy dealership can help you.