battery dead -replaced, now won't start- help?

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my battery was dead due to not driving car for 2 months, it would'nt charge back up so i replaced it. now when i turn key to ignition pos. car takes 45 sec. of wierd noise from stereo area and then when i push start button everything goes dark (guages etc..) and nothing??? no clicking of starter or nothing
any ideas... anyone have this happen to them,or should i just flatbed it to dealer and let them look-see
thanks,
Marc

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go get another battery:crazy2: or look to c if you have a bad cable

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters

SRT10 probably has an alarm-fault, my bet it was alarmed when it died?

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jump start the battery.. i know this sounds weird but just do it.. get another car open up the battery panel storage and jump start the car.. the car will start..

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jump start the battery.. i know this sounds weird but just do it.. get another car open up the battery panel storage and jump start the car.. the car will start..

is that what your crystle ball says?:rolaugh:

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet you hes set off the theft shutoff.. jumping the car shoudl reset it.. just jump the battery.. it should start right up.. make sure to jump it from the actaull battery and not from the engine

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks guys i will try these suggestions! also i read another thread that had the same problem as i and it said to check a fuse as well, which i will do.........will report back
-Marc

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jon,
year is 2004 but i don't think i armed alarm because i though in advance that the battery might die as i knew i wasn't going to drive it fro quite a while
the lights and guages do work when i put key to ign mode only when i try to crank her over does it go dead

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would throw a charger on the battery, New batteries are not always up to full charge after purchase. Also double check your connections, Sounds like you have enough current to turn on accesories but not enough for the extra juice needed for start up. Maybe as little as a loose connection. :D:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You cleaned all the terminals when you installed the Battery? What is the Batteries voltage? Are the headlights really bright? Do the headlights go out when you hit the start?

Not sure what a Gen 3 had in the area of the stereo that would make any weird noises. Can't think of any electric motors in that area except the CD spinner. Turn off the stereo? Pull fuses one at a time until you find your weird noise circuit?

Mice?

Ted

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well something you guys told me to do worked!! it started!!!!
i pulled all the fuses to make sure nothing was blow and then i pulled one of the 20 amp fuses i heard a noise, like something reseting.... then i pulled the positive lead off battery and put it back on....wah-la!!!!!
thanks for your guys help!!!!
-Marc

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your experience also teaches us other problems that we can use to help out the next guy.

You're welcome many of us are here to help when we can.

Glad you're up and running! Have fun!

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4