loss of power after miss-shift

new york city viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
last week i miss-shifted from 3rd to 2nd gear while driving at 75mph. Engine screamed , i can still shift in all gears smoothly but i cant go past 40mph on 1st , cant go past 60 on 2nd , deffintly lost alot of power, no leaks under car , no signs of breakage anywhere. Any one have any idea what i damaged?

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with a bent valve or broken rocker arm. Stop driving it immediatley and take it in to be looked at.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you're a do-it-yourselfer pull the sparkplugs and do a compression test. Any different colors on the plug tips?

Is it running on all cylinders or missing on some?

Ted

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Rev limiter supose to shut down the engine or something?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Rev limiter supose to shut down the engine or something?

On the way up the rpm range the computer can cut the fun at redline and save the motor. On a downshift, the mechanical speed of the wheels determines the engine rpm speed, and electronics can't stop it. You can therefore overrev on downshifting and bent valves.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"... i miss-shifted from 3rd to 2nd gear while driving at 75mph."

he wrote

paxtu22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a bent valve. Is it possiable to over rev it @75mph in second gear? I think that my car is good for 80+ in second.

Eric

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overheated/melted cats.

That would be a guess of mine, too. If you shock-loaded the engine by mis-shifting from 3rd to 2nd at speed, you may have floated valves and/or bent pushrods (or broken springs and/or rockers). Bent pushrods aren't a big deal as long as the bending didn't happen because the valves impacted the cylinders... If the valves impacted the cylinders, you've got bent valves for sure, and you'll either be hearing backfiring through the intake, or you'll be dumping gas straight out the exhaust valves and into the cats. If you're dumping gas into the cats, they will overheat quick and plug up.

In any event, you need to tow it into a shop pronto. If you do your own work, you should start by pulling the valve covers and looking at all the pushrods. If you see a bent one (or two or three), they're pretty easy to swap out. Once you get them swapped out (or determined that none are bent), do a compression check (and look at all the plugs to see if any of them are looking fouled or burnt). If compression is bad on any cylinder, it's head-work time.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But like I said in my question, that would be but a few seconds. I thought the cats were more robust - durable - than that.

We've had a lot of issues with the stock ones. It looks like someone hit the honeycomb with a hammer. They may have been on there way out and this just finished them off. Hi-flows on order.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235