Interchangeable engine parts?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will Gen 3 parts fit on a Gen 2 motor? I plan to prep and paint my valve covers and intake sometime this winter. I've heard that the Gen 3 valve covers will bolt up on a Gen 2?

I've also heard people swapping out intakes with minor mods? My main interest is the valve covers swap. Has anyone done this and do you have any pictures of the swap? ;)

I'm mainly focusing on looks. Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the search feature will help with the valve covers i think. im pretty sure you will need a spacer. baz did this mod.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any pics of this mod? Can any gen 2 spacers be used or do they have to be special spacers for this mod only?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Correct, Spacers will allow fitment.

DO NOT swap intakes. The Gen-2 intake outflows the Gen-3 Intake. It *can* be done, but not worth it at all.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

I looked tonight and it there might be an issue with using the spacers on the drivers side? It looks like there is a sensor on the intake that is almost touching the stock valve covers as it is now. Anyone ran into this issue?

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DO NOT swap intakes. The Gen-2 intake outflows the Gen-3 Intake. It *can* be done, but not worth it at all.

If that was the case wouldn't the gen 3 guys be putting gen 2 intakes on your car? I m sure if gen 3 can fit on gen 2 than gen 2 can fit on gen 3...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If that was the case wouldn't the gen 3 guys be putting gen 2 intakes on your car? I m sure if gen 3 can fit on gen 2 than gen 2 can fit on gen 3...

I dont believe a Gen-2 will fit due to the Gen-3 hood design since it has considerably more volume. The advantages of having external fuel rails on the G3 and easier access to some of the other components outweighs the slight flow benefits of the G2 design, stock for stock or slight mod to slight mod. Ported Gen-3's can show decent gains, and are far easier to port then G2... though a properly done G2 can outflow a G3 again. Most G3's in need of substantially more flow go with an aftermarket manifold instead, while G2's go the route of "extreme porting".

Last edited:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious about this mod, 2 throttle bodies and long runners vs single throttle body and short runners.

Isn't going to shorter runners going to boost your higher RPM horsepower but at the cost of low end torque?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just curious about this mod, 2 throttle bodies and long runners vs single throttle body and short runners.

Isn't going to shorter runners going to boost your higher RPM horsepower but at the cost of low end torque?

Normally, yes, though the Gen-2 manifold has more volume then a Gen-3.

If you put on comparable throttle body sizes, clean up a set of G2 and G3 manifolds to get rid of manufacturing tolerances, etc- the G2 should outperform the G3 across the board.

The G3 is a better move "on paper" for making more HP up top... but it is a "cramped" design and has a fairly small volume compared to its predecessor, so it quickly runs out of breath as the power levels increase.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally, yes, though the Gen-2 manifold has more volume then a Gen-3.

If you put on comparable throttle body sizes, clean up a set of G2 and G3 manifolds to get rid of manufacturing tolerances, etc- the G2 should outperform the G3 across the board.

The G3 is a better move "on paper" for making more HP up top... but it is a "cramped" design and has a fairly small volume compared to its predecessor, so it quickly runs out of breath as the power levels increase.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me.
Getting air in and out as fast as possible is the name of the game.
Speed without volume is counterproductive!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pictures of the valve cover swap? And info about clearence for the sensor that I mentioned above? Thanks!

I'm not sure what sensor you are talking about but there should not be any issues. I've had gen3 valve covers on my car for four years. Gen3 heads too but it still shouldn't matter. Both pics are of my car.

MVC-462S.JPG

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS, so maybe you don't have the sensor that is located on the drivers side? I don't see it in your 2nd picture. Right now, there is next to no room between the sensor and the valve cover.

Why do you need spacers for the Gen 3 covers? Are they actually smaller than the Gen 2's? That would make sense because the spacer would make up the difference making them the same size?

Is there ANY mods that need to be done to make the hoses work with the covers? I noticed you have different hoses in a different location. Thanks! Your engine looks great!

Attachments

• 100_3358.jpg
    100_3358.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3361.jpg
    100_3361.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 5

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS, so maybe you don't have the sensor that is located on the drivers side? I don't see it in your 2nd picture. Right now, there is next to no room between the sensor and the valve cover.

Why do you need spacers for the Gen 3 covers? Are they actually smaller than the Gen 2's? That would make sense because the spacer would make up the difference making them the same size?

Is there ANY mods that need to be done to make the hoses work with the covers? I noticed you have different hoses in a different location. Thanks! Your engine looks great!

I believe that is the MAP sensor. It is a kinda important one.:smirk:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the reason the G3 valve covers need spacers is the fact they are shorter than the G2, and the sum of the spacer and the G3 cover = the G2 cover, then the fit to the sensor is the same.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else have any pictures of the swap? ;)

And is there anything special about the hoses or fittings for the swap? Just wondering if everything is "plug and play". Thanks!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Arrow engines sells Gen 4 heads, intake and manifolds as a kit. 100rwhp upgrade using all stock parts. Slight mods needed for the heads to fit Gen 2.

Ted

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance, if you are having trouble with room for the MAP sensor bolting to the manifold, then just pull of the little vacuum elbow and route a longer piece of hose to it and relocate the sensor to another spot. On my Roe, I had it ziptied to the cowl bracket about 3" away.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size spacers do I need for clearance? 1/2" or a full 1"?

I noticed that the Gen 2 covers have studs to hold the spark plugs wires and the Gen 3's do not. What is everyone doing to hold the wires out of the way?

Also, does it make a difference which side you put the oil cap on? Gen 2's are on the passenger side and Gen 3's are on the drivers side. I would like to have it on the drivers side. Thanks!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few pics here.....

You must be registered for see images attach

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks you..

Yes used studs and a nut to hold down valve covers then pushed wire clip over the existing stud...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235