Getting Near the 10's in my mildy modified 06 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 1BADGTS would have a heart attack if he were not allowed to type "Jamie Furman" or "Evan Smith" ever again. His posting would then cease to exist, since he never does anything but mention his heroes.

Speedfreak, you still have about 2 tenths left in that 60' time. That is what you will need to work on. In cooler weather, I can see your car trapping 126-127 no problem. But, you will need a 1.6X short time to squeak into the 10s with those trap speeds. If you are still on the OEM 2006 tires, it won't happen. Those tires are awful and are as hard as rocks. Just wait until you do get some cold weather, the tires will be like granite.

Tony
Nine your just pissed because Evan will not hire you LOL.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above is totally irrevelant because there is no way are you ACTUALLY going to break into the 10s (with that power level running stock tires )on any NHRA track out there in any DA The evidence in no way supports your THEORYS if it did show me all of those 10 second time slips as there have been many a runs on the sea level tracks.

Sooo...my Invo's are still drag radials? :rolaugh:

Your response actually makes me laugh. I said I wasn't going to run stock tires, I'm going to run my 2 year old Invo's with 20,000 miles on them. I'm not racing at a NHRA track, because I wouldn't be allowed to make a pass without a cage (or get the slip if I did make a good pass). There is a all-concrete track that doesn't have NHRA tech, that I plan to race at.

We all know that the Viper isn't a drag car, especially with the 3.07 gear ratio. I can't speak for Joe Blow, that drives his Viper 30 miles each month, and takes his car out to the track once a year. I do know that I hand many a Z06 their ass when they pull up next to me, although your beloved magazines and statistics would have you think otherwise.

At our recent track day, where I ran the 11.460, we had 1000whp TT Z06's on DR's, 560whp Cammed Zo6's on street tires, Procharged Vette's on DR's, and 1000whp Supra's on DR's all running SLOWER times than me. Big deal, no one cares. I know my car, and I know what I'm capable of. If I can figure out how to slip the clutch, I will run a good time with a good DA. Will I run a 10? Who knows, but that won't stop me from trying, and you constantly posting about no one being able to run a 10 in a stock Viper, won't deter me from trying.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...correction factors are not at all accurate when being applied to stock tired cars.

So how do you explain similar 60' times, with different E.T's? I ran the same car with a slightly worse 60' (didn't slip the clutch smooth enough so it bogged), and went .2s faster when it was 85F instead of 94F on two different days. The calculator doesn't take into account 60', so it's not 100% accurate, but no one here is calculator racing. They are using it as a tool to gauge how they would perform in real life under ideal conditions.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BadGTS just gets his ******* in a *** if anything broaches the topic of drag racing. Just ignore him. Keep going forward with your goals and most importantly, have fun.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how do you explain similar 60' times, with different E.T's? I ran the same car with a slightly worse 60' (didn't slip the clutch smooth enough so it bogged), and went .2s faster when it was 85F instead of 94F on two different days. The calculator doesn't take into account 60', so it's not 100% accurate, but no one here is calculator racing. They are using it as a tool to gauge how they would perform in real life under ideal conditions.
Your still missing the point (too involved in hypothethiocal theorys )Since 1997 the very very best drivers in the United States running Vipers on stock tires on tracks that are know to be the very fastest out there (Atco Englishtown Vir ect )in DA that are sea level or below .These Vipers trap over 130 mph (direct indicator of horsepower )Thousands of passes have been made .To date one pass has resulted in a actual 10 second run.You guys are using the calculator as a tool BUT the problem is its just not accurate guage .Over the years i must have seen hundreds of Gen3 (minor bolt ons ) make passes at Englishtown ALL types of Da (Iowned a Gen 3 Corsa ,Gears Filters ect) NONE of them NONE could run better than a 11.6-11.7 .(most barely broke 11.9 ) .My Stock Gen 4 would eat a Gen 3 (minor bolt on alive )we tried on a 600 foot Da to get it to run 10s= (no go 11.3 at near 130.)When we tried it was for a mag test session .(one step above a ptivate track session ).The car was thouroughly iced down ,track prepped (VHT thirty foot mark )

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your still missing the point (too involved in hypothethiocal theorys )Since 1997 the very very best drivers in the United States running Vipers on stock tires on tracks that are know to be the very fastest out there (Atco Englishtown Vir ect )in DA that are sea level or below .These Vipers trap over 130 mph (direct indicator of horsepower )Thousands of passes have been made .To date one pass has resulted in a actual 10 second run.You guys are using the calculator as a tool BUT the problem is its just not accurate guage .Over the years i must have seen hundreds of Gen3 (minor bolt ons ) make passes at Englishtown ALL types of Da (Iowned a Gen 3 Corsa ,Gears Filters ect) NONE of them NONE could run better than a 11.6-11.7 .(most barely broke 11.9 ) .My Stock Gen 4 would eat a Gen 3 (minor bolt on alive )we tried on a 600 foot Da to get it to run 10s= (no go 11.3 at near 130.)When we tried it was for a mag test session .(one step above a ptivate track session ).The car was thouroughly iced down ,track prepped (VHT thirty foot mark )

hahaha
WE= someone driving your car

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, you need to step away from the keyboard 1BADGTS, you are getting too worked up about this. Do you secretly own a Z06, and just aren't telling us about it?

:rolaugh:

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Malu,
Just to get back on topic, your car is a 2008?

air makes a big difference, my 2008 has ran anywhere from 123mph at 5000ft
up to 132mph (guessing) at 400ft
I'm cheating however as i'm running the NT05R's

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran on a -1500 da day 5 years ago at Cecil county. I think the car could squeak in trapping around 127-8 with a 1.6 60'. The day Jamie got into the 10's with his gen 4 wasn't the greatest da we've ever seen either. Just about every record on the Vette side is done at MIR. Tracks quick and gets some incredible horse power weather.

Next month and a half will be great for trap speeds.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW -1500 thats crazy.

Man the cars must love that air

The same car trapped 106 in the summer and 116.5 that day. It was crazy barometer was around 31.5 temps in the mid 40's, and zero humidity on a track that is at sea level.

Like I said above I think he could do it.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malu,
Just to get back on topic, your car is a 2008?

air makes a big difference, my 2008 has ran anywhere from 123mph at 5000ft
up to 132mph (guessing) at 400ft
I'm cheating however as i'm running the NT05R's

Yes sir, 2008 with the stock mufflers removed. I lost a little power doing that (7whp), but it sounds so much better, I will make the compromise. I also have the MGW shifter and shift knob, as well as the lowering caps. That's all that's done to the car. The day I went 122mph, my friend with an 08 on Invo's w/Bellangers and RSI intake port, went a best of 125mph. The NT05R is a great street racing tire, but some of my friends making 1000whp in their Vettes have issues hooking with that. They are going with the MT drag radials now.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is that several people have went low 11's in 100% stock 2008 Vipers already...Of course Jamie has his 10.9 but several other have hit the 11.1-11.3 range stock...All you gotta do is search a little and it's no biggies..

Heress a few that ring a bell

Jamie [email protected]
Jamie [email protected]
Utah [email protected]

As well their is a gen2 owner who went 11.0 at 124 mph with just bolt ons and sticky tires...

Several people have beaten 1BadGTS's 11.2 with ease..No big deal.Especially on the gen4 side..

I think what speed freak and dragon rider are trying to say (and I agree) is that the gen3 was never truly represented well...Im sure it has to do with the convertable status and many not knowing if they would be allowed or not and never even trying...But several people did run 11.5-11.8 at 120-124 mph completely stock. Again considering the 120-124 mph capabilities 11.5 as a record is hardly brag worthy..

Their was a member in a yellow 06 coupe who went 125 mph with just an exhaust..

" AS POSTED BY CASH84.........06 Coupe. well finally got it done there before end of year. so here is my best time but the best 60' i had was a 1.94

60'...2.073
330... 5.301
1/8...7.870
MPH...97.12
1/4...11.868
MPH...125.66

I was hoping to get it down to 11.7 but couldn't get my 60' time down like I said only 1.94 was the best which was a flat 12.0. Tire was spinning at the higher rpm. Had the gas press down slowly outta the hole. with my best time had lil over 1/4 tank of gas and tires are just about bald with a comp exhaust done on it. So I shouldn't complain. I chirp the tires lose every gear even 4th."

These cars have the potential..just the right person needs to extract it

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is that several people have went low 11's in 100% stock 2008 Vipers already...Of course Jamie has his 10.9 but several other have hit the 11.1-11.3 range stock...All you gotta do is search a little and it's no biggies..

Heress a few that ring a bell

Jamie [email protected]
Jamie [email protected]
Utah [email protected]

As well their is a gen2 owner who went 11.0 at 124 mph with just bolt ons and sticky tires...

Several people have beaten 1BadGTS's 11.2 with ease..No big deal.Especially on the gen4 side..

I think what speed freak and dragon rider are trying to say (and I agree) is that the gen3 was never truly represented well...Im sure it has to do with the convertable status and many not knowing if they would be allowed or not and never even trying...But several people did run 11.5-11.8 at 120-124 mph completely stock. Again considering the 120-124 mph capabilities 11.5 as a record is hardly brag worthy..

Their was a member in a yellow 06 coupe who went 125 mph with just an exhaust..

" AS POSTED BY CASH84.........06 Coupe. well finally got it done there before end of year. so here is my best time but the best 60' i had was a 1.94

60'...2.073
330... 5.301
1/8...7.870
MPH...97.12
1/4...11.868
MPH...125.66

I was hoping to get it down to 11.7 but couldn't get my 60' time down like I said only 1.94 was the best which was a flat 12.0. Tire was spinning at the higher rpm. Had the gas press down slowly outta the hole. with my best time had lil over 1/4 tank of gas and tires are just about bald with a comp exhaust done on it. So I shouldn't complain. I chirp the tires lose every gear even 4th."

These cars have the potential..just the right person needs to extract it
And the cars been out for close to 3 years now(GEN 4 ) THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of quarter miles have been run and we have exactly one ten second pass . YOU GUYS ACT LIKE THESE CARS CAME OUT YESTERDAY .Keep dreaming

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the cars been out for close to 3 years now(GEN 4 ) THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of quarter miles have been run and we have exactly one ten second pass . YOU GUYS ACT LIKE THESE CARS CAME OUT YESTERDAY .Keep dreaming

Go back to the Corvette forum :rolaugh:.

90% of Gen IV Viper owners don't take their car to the dragstrip, and even less know what they are doing when they do go. Show me video/proof of the "1000's of quarter mile passes" of the Gen IV Vipers, otherwise stop spouting off like you are the king of Viper drag racing. There are other more accomplished drag racers on this board and the alley, who could care less about whatever "stock tire" record you keep harping about. Jamie Furman was the only one who cared enough to try.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha
WE= someone driving your car
WAIT A MINUTE LOL LOL your the guy with the modded Gen 4 (DRs, Computer intake work ect )who in a 600 foot da BARELY broke 10s.According to this this (that DA ect )you should have been able to do it bone stock.Why the mods and sticky tires.You just posted after all these mods ect it took you NUMERIOUS times to ther track in a 600 foot DA to do it

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back to the Corvette forum :rolaugh:.

90% of Gen IV Viper owners don't take their car to the dragstrip, and even less know what they are doing when they do go. Show me video/proof of the "1000's of quarter mile passes" of the Gen IV Vipers, otherwise stop spouting off like you are the king of Viper drag racing. There are other more accomplished drag racers on this board and the alley, who could care less about whatever "stock tire" record you keep harping about. Jamie Furman was the only one who cared enough to try.
The cars have been out for years .No one is a better more accomplished drag racer on stock tires than EVAN SMITH (besides Furman )he tried in a 600 foot DA AND COULDNT COME CLOSE.He tried at Englishtown one of the VERY BEST drag racing facilitys in the world (not some half assed non NHRA concrete track).He also tried in my Gen 2 (hundreds of passes)actually faster than my Gen 4 could not do it.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars have been out for years .No one is a better more accomplished drag racer on stock tires than EVAN SMITH (besides Furman )he tried in a 600 foot DA AND COULDNT COME CLOSE.He tried at Englishtown one of the VERY BEST drag racing facilitys in the world (not some half assed non NHRA concrete track).He also tried in my Gen 2 (hundreds of passes)actually faster than my Gen 4 could not do it.

I am better than Evan Smith. Evan actually calls me for driving tips when he wants to race in a Viper. I told him to take it easy on your car, so I could prove I can run 10's in a Gen IV in the future. Thanks Evan, it worked like a charm!!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I'm still waiting for proof of 1000's of Gen IV passes at the track. No rush, I'll check again in the morning. 12 hrs should be enough time to compile the data, right?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think their are only around 3000 gen4's in the world..I also think maybe 100 people ever drag raced them (much higher number for road course guys though)

Out of those maybe hundred guys only 10 guys ever posted here about there runs...If someone knows about more than 10 people who ever posted there gen4 1/4 mile times then Id love to hear about it as I stopped makeing the gen4 stock 1/4 mile time list once I got to about 9 people and came to the realization that almost no one drag strips their gen4's...

Contrary to poular belieaf of the vette guys like 1BADGTS...Vipers are EXTREMELY rare cars..especially the gen4's...

their were twice as many C6Z06's made in 2006 than all gen4 Vipers from 08-2010..And the Z06 is a somewhat rare car...

For many things a rare car is GREAT...But when it comes to compareing a car with 3K units in the world (gen4) to a car with 35K units in the world (Z06 GTR ect) well we are fighting an uphill battle in raw numbers of people out there doing things...

Anyways to get back on subject i have faith that SpeedFreak or dragon rider (and dont forget about Dman who went 126 mph with just intake/exhaust) will get us to were the gen3 deseves to be..recognized as a 10 second car with bolt ons

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WAIT A MINUTE LOL LOL your the guy with the modded Gen 4 (DRs, Computer intake work ect )who in a 600 foot da BARELY broke 10s.According to this this (that DA ect )you should have been able to do it bone stock.Why the mods and sticky tires.You just posted after all these mods ect it took you NUMERIOUS times to ther track in a 600 foot DA to do it

Thats me 10.96. funny part, I was driving my car.
Not swinging off my buddies nuts

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....

The 10.9 at 128 is the beginning..wait till you hit some good 130-133 mph trap speed weather...10.6's

Congrats by the way...Lots off talk about ten second cars over the internet..But not many people who actually do it

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think their are only around 3000 gen4's in the world..I also think maybe 100 people ever drag raced them (much higher number for road course guys though)

Out of those maybe hundred guys only 10 guys ever posted here about there runs...If someone knows about more than 10 people who ever posted there gen4 1/4 mile times then Id love to hear about it as I stopped makeing the gen4 stock 1/4 mile time list once I got to about 9 people and came to the realization that almost no one drag strips their gen4's...

Contrary to poular belieaf of the vette guys like 1BADGTS...Vipers are EXTREMELY rare cars..especially the gen4's...

their were twice as many C6Z06's made in 2006 than all gen4 Vipers from 08-2010..And the Z06 is a somewhat rare car...

For many things a rare car is GREAT...But when it comes to compareing a car with 3K units in the world (gen4) to a car with 35K units in the world (Z06 GTR ect) well we are fighting an uphill battle in raw numbers of people out there doing things...

Anyways to get back on subject i have faith that SpeedFreak or dragon rider (and dont forget about Dman who went 126 mph with just intake/exhaust) will get us to were the gen3 deseves to be..recognized as a 10 second car with bolt ons
Twister last year i called Jamie Furman and had him EDUCATE you on this very tipic (do i have to remind you or maybe have him post AGAIN just how difficult it was to run 10s )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....

The 10.9 at 128 is the beginning..wait till you hit some good 130-133 mph trap speed weather...10.6's

Congrats by the way...Lots off talk about ten second cars over the internet..But not many people who actually do it
In a heavily modded car on drag radials NOT STOCK

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I'm still waiting for proof of 1000's of Gen IV passes at the track. No rush, I'll check again in the morning. 12 hrs should be enough time to compile the data, right?
Hello last year the guys in Furmans Region rented the track had numerios Gen 4s run ALL day long no one came close.Thats one region these cars have been out for years.Whether you like in or not one PERSON HAS DONE IT .

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear that company FAT HEAD is coming out with life sized posters of Evan Smith and Jamie Furman. 1BADGTS has them on pre-order already. The man-crush is strong with this guy.

I'd love to go head to head with any of these guys on the same track, same day, same cars. I have zero doubt in my driving ability. Andy (FLATOUT) could probably do the same. The only reason you keep using these guys as references is because nobody else really drag races their Vipers. I'd be lucky to see one Viper at the dragstrip, and it would be very rare that they are a decent driver. Unfortunately, most of them are not, it seems.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, guys I didn't expect all this chatter about my runs and goal. Nice to see there is still the enthusiasm here. A couple of points.

I do not agree with 1badgts on the traction issue being the inhibitor to the 10's. The car is already making alot more power and trapping much higher than when I ran 11.50's stock and I am turning the same 60 foot times. It has required an adjustment in launch technique but I am confident I can run a 1.7 to 1.8 60 foot regardless of power level. So then the real issue is getting some negative DA weather where I can get the extra power I need. Also I agree with 9ball that I need to wittle the 60 foot somemore to get there probably. If I could turn a 1.7 short time with great weather I think its reachable.

I have perfected the 1-2 speed shift (not power shift)to where I get just a chirp and no spin. Again, key to E.T. improvement and the traction issue.

The nitto invo is a much better tire than the run flats I ran before. Still a true street tire but it hooks good. I have been inhibited somewhat my limited runs I have been able to make 3-4 a night. Test and tune used to be much less attended. Really want to try some tweaking on the launch technique.

Other observations. I am not sure the gear change improved the time much but it did aid in the launch department. Also the aluminum flywheel requires a much higher launch RPM to achieve the same 60 foot due to the reduced mass and inertia of the heavier stock flywheel. THis took some getting used to and a considerable amount of practice to master.

The other point I want to make and may post in another thread is it is not that hard to get the Viper weight down to 3220-3240 with 1/4 tank of gas and that makes a big difference.

The weather this coming week looks pretty good. Will update everyone if I get out there. Thanks for the support.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear that company FAT HEAD is coming out with life sized posters of Evan Smith and Jamie Furman. 1BADGTS has them on pre-order already. The man-crush is strong with this guy.

Nine, you just made me laugh so hard... I blew coffee all over my laptop :hahaup:
As a tribute to the owner of FAT HEAD I am posting in Comic Sans today :D

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:
Quite honestly, I am embarrassed to witness a grown man defend a ten second pass on a bolt on car, and further embarrassed to know that he himself can't and didn't pilot that car. While I completely understand having a driver for a huge power car, if you can't drive your own bolt on car, you owe it to yourself to slink off with what little pride you have left and ****. While Twister's brain may run ten minute quarters, I applaud him for flogging his own car, and not hiring someone to give him bragging rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4