Getting Near the 10's in my mildy modified 06 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm going out today to run my car. They are running a 5.80 index (1/8th mile) class here locally. I'll drive my car to the track, compete and drive it home. I don't care what the DA is, I'm going out to have fun. Nothing better than driving to the track in my street car, racing race cars and then driving home.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one said anything about setting any records. Jamie Furman has already done that (on Pilots) so no ones trying to do it. Besides, all these "records" are just bull $hit internet records that no one really cares about. What the DA correction factor tells me is that when the DA gets better, that my car would run a faster time...SOOOO, I will go back and hope to run that time in colder weather. We have to use correction factors, so we can compare how we stack up, even in different locations. 1/4 mile passes, dyno runs, etc.

Also, you seem to be stuck on the whole Michelin Pilot traction issue. I'll be running on my 2 year old Nitto Invo's that have 20,000 miles on them, and if I don't have any driveline issues, I think these tires will hook. A LOT of people swear by the Invo's for straight line traction (as do I). Ricky Crossley, friend of mine that bought Jerry Kennedy's 1400whp TT Viper, cut a 1.7x 60' on 20" Nitto Invo's in the ADV.1 Paxton Viper, at Dallas Raceway (I sat and watched him do it). I'm not concerned about the tires at all, just slipping the clutch out.

I get that you have raced your car a lot, or some professional driver has raced it, but it always seems like you come into these drag racing threads and act as if your experience is the end-all for anyone that attempts to drag race. Congrats to Jamie Furman or Evan Smith for their accomplishments, but that won't stop me from trying to do well in my car. I don't say that to start some internet drama with you, but it gets really old. Step back and take a look at all of your posts on this subject, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Good luck Speedfreak, make us proud! :usa: :headbang:

I seen Malu run his stock Gen IV into the low 11's with a 3500-3600ft DA (98 degrees 60+% humidity) on old Nitto Invos...If he gets a crack at a decent track on a cooler day he could drive his car into the 10's(the guy has got some skills! he's getting better and better at learning and driving his car)...I'd even let him borrow my new Nittos if he got close!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear that company FAT HEAD is coming out with life sized posters of Evan Smith and Jamie Furman. 1BADGTS has them on pre-order already. The man-crush is strong with this guy.

I'd love to go head to head with any of these guys on the same track, same day, same cars. I have zero doubt in my driving ability. Andy (FLATOUT) could probably do the same. The only reason you keep using these guys as references is because nobody else really drag races their Vipers. I'd be lucky to see one Viper at the dragstrip, and it would be very rare that they are a decent driver. Unfortunately, most of them are not, it seems.
And you would get destroyed .Remember one think Nine Ford Motor Company can have ANY test driver in the world testing developing their cars to get the BEST possible times on stock tires do they fly you in to run the prototypes or Evan.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:
Quite honestly, I am embarrassed to witness a grown man defend a ten second pass on a bolt on car, and further embarrassed to know that he himself can't and didn't pilot that car. While I completely understand having a driver for a huge power car, if you can't drive your own bolt on car, you owe it to yourself to slink off with what little pride you have left and ****. While Twister's brain may run ten minute quarters, I applaud him for flogging his own car, and not hiring someone to give him bragging rights.
Really my Gen 2 won the Mopar Nats 1997-2001 against the best NA modded cars on the east coat -what did your cars win.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really my Gen 2 won the Mopar Nats 1997-2001 against the best NA modded cars on the east coat -what did your cars win.
Same car was on the cover Jan 2001 Muscle Mustang Ford Mag Title SHOOTOUT FASTEST TRUE STREETCARS in the tri state area.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is ancient history there Peaches. Could you drive thirteen years ago, or did someone set those records for you too? You don't see me on here ball gagged speaking of their incredible ten second pass that I had someone run for me, so I will stick with my car merely winning me some ass when I feel like bringing out of the garage.

PS...Your posts wreak of you desperately needing to borrow my car.;)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is ancient history there Peaches. Could you drive thirteen years ago, or did someone set those records for you too? You don't see me on here ball gagged speaking of their incredible ten second pass that I had someone run for me, so I will stick with my car merely winning me some ass when I feel like bringing out of the garage.

PS...Your posts wreak of you desperately needing to borrow my car.;)
You forgot to list the titles YOUR cars have won .Since your comment (on a subject you obviously know NOTHING ABOUT =PEACHES )BUY THE WAY DOES YOUR DADDY KNOW YOUR PLAYING ON HIS COMPUTER.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same car was on the cover Jan 2001 Muscle Mustang Ford Mag Title SHOOTOUT FASTEST TRUE STREETCARS in the tri state area.

You forgot to list the titles YOUR cars have won .Since your comment (on a subject you obviously know NOTHING ABOUT =PEACHES )BUY THE WAY DOES YOUR DADDY KNOW YOUR PLAYING ON HIS COMPUTER.

Peaches, you need to do your homework, and I will leave it at that. To put things in perspective, my 130 pound lab just cranked an eighteen second fart while shaking my hand and had a whole dog biscuit in his mouth at the same time. That has to be a record in the TRI TEXAS AREA. He should be on the cover of Pet Farts Magazine here in a month or so.:2tu: Current and relevant are key points that you and my poor lab are missing.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That makes 3 of us..Of course mine is just with my personal timing gear...More to see what I can do with new mods as their are no drag strips on my island..

I actually just made quite a few passes less then 15 minutes ago...A month ago with the same mods I have right now I squeaked out an 11.67 at 122.7 mph..I was averageing 121-122 mph all night wich was great for me (75 degree weather and 1000 foot elevation)

Well the weather dropped down to 69 degrees wich is COLD for hawaii so I said what the hell might as well go make some passes with this cold air before my new KN air intake and BBK throttle body arrive..

-12.08 at 123.7
-12.20 at 122.4
-12.0 at 122.5
-11.95 at 122.1
-12.17 at 123.0
-11.92 at 124.2

The 123's made me smile as these were my first 123's but the 124.2 blew my mind....Unfortunetly I just couldnt get anything better than a 1.98 60 foot and bogged like crazy tonight. 2.0-2.1 was the average..

Man I really think If I could have gotten a high 1.8x or low 1.9x 60 foot then I could have beat my 11.67 tonight...maybe a 11.4-11.5..The mph was there!

Good luck guys...No doubt these cars can do it..500 rwhp with all the bolt ons is good for 127 mph trapps in the right air with the right driver...You can squeak a 10.9 with 127 trapps

Twister, you are actually cutting some good times given your lack of a track. I will guarantee you are giving up at least 2 tenths in short time running on the road versus a track. I know when I run my car on the street I cannot launch it nearly as aggressively as the track. So any sub 1.9 short times on pavement are going to be 1.7 to 1.8 on a drag strip. Keep plugging.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish i could keep plugging brother....

I got the two check engine lights last night...After a BADDD redline at 6250 rpms (aftermarker tune)...

well I cleared the codes and checked the car out..My drivers side aftermarket titanium exhaust was VERY loose...so i took off the side sill panel and observed that the exhaust had completely seperated!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

I figured what an oppertunity and went and weighed the 4.5 foot titanium exhaust..Dude..It was 5 freaken pounds..no joke no BS...just my old stock car' cat was around 20 pounds not counting pipeing ect on the stock exhaust...

so my total titanium exhaust is 10 pounds..LOL Never weighed the stock one but im guessing close to 100 pounds counting all the cross pipeing and cats I eliminated and titanium verses steel..

unfortunetly as happy as I was about that I didnt put the side sill back on 100% perfect and am currently redoing it..

I took the car out for a spin and observed that the check engine light came back on and the car is defiently running wrong...Also lots of smoke but only from the passenger side exhaust???????

good luck drag raceing guys and I wish you the best..just dont do like me and redline past 6000 if you have an aftermarket tune...Ive redlined at 6K plenty of times and never a prob....but at the 6250...Well Im haveing some problems...

jeeze..P0302 code again...smoke from passenger side..pass miss in idle and acelleration... DAGGONEIT!!!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speed freak. here is a ruuning log I have been working on and off on for 3 yearsalways same location and always same timeing gear

You can see on my first outing trying to learn the car I sucked pretty badly..LOL

2003 srt10 with roller rockers and kn filters at 459 rwhp

1-12.7 @ 114
2-12.4 @ 115
3-12.4 @ 116
4-12.5 @ 115.6
5-12.4 @ 115

Man this car ***** I thought...Littel did I know that I was shifting when that damn yellow arrow appeared and really to early at 5500 rpm's or so

Tried shifting a lil later
6-12.4 @ 117.9

And then a lil later

7-12.37 @ 119.0
8-12.25 @ 119.3

And then on my 9th and final run shifting right before red line I clicked off a

9-12.08 @ 118.9 1.93 60 ft 7.9 @ 91.3 1/8
0-60 mph in 4.13

Very happy with the ET but dissapointed in the 119 max trapps I called it a night

Went back at it again a few days later( KN filters and roller rockers) 459/492 SAE

I baby shifted on these runs trying to see if I could hit 120 mph trapps

10-12.77 @ 115.6
11-12.75 @ 118.1
12-12.43 @ 120.2

YEA BABY a 120 trapp..Not to shabby and I called it a night

Went back out on another night( kn filters and roller rockers) 459/492 SAE

Tonight I wanted an 11 second pass and was all buisness

13-12.5 at 115.9 getting warmed up
14-12.4 @ 117.8
15-12.26 @ 119.2
16-12.1 @ 120.5
17-11.97 @ 121.3 60 ft 1.97 7.9 @ 93.5 1/8 0-60=4.05 !!!!!!!!! HELL YEA best ever with kn filter and roller rockers

18-12.1 @ 120.2
19-12.1 @ 120.1
20-12.05 @ 122.2 ( highest mph yet)!!!!!!!!!!
21-12.08 @ 121.4

Then I called it a night...

( kn filters and roller rockers plus cat/muffler delete) ???rwhp???rwt...added the cat/muffler delete and went back at it

22-12.22 @ 119.6
23-12.13 @ 118.8
24-12.03 @ 120.6
25-11.95 @ 121.9
26-11.92 @ 121.7
27-11.92 @ 121.5

Kn filters and roller rockers plus cat/muffler delete and removal of rain baffle...rwhp??? rwt???

28-12.2 @ 121.9
29-12.1 @ 120.4
30-12.0 @ 120.5
31-11.88@ 122.3 2.0 60 ft fastest ever WITH LOTS OF 11.9'S AND 121 MPH TRAPPS TO BACK IT UP

well honestly it seems like removeing the rain baffle gave me maybe a .5 mph benifit....looks like I was 120-122 mph all night...but befor removing the rain baffle MY runs would be in the 119.5-121.7 range

Well it had been a while and I have added the viper specialty SCT tune/findanza flywheel/titanium exhaust/underdrive pulley plus still the roller rockers and no cats and KN filter with the rain baffle still removed..Now dynoed at 476/512 SAE.

32-13.5 @ 117.5
33-12.1 @ 121.6
34-12.3 @ 121.2
35-12.0 @ 121.8
36-12.3 @ 122.2
37-12.1 @ 121.9
38-11.8 @ 122.1
39-11.67@ 122.7 60 foot 1.87 7.65 At 95.5 1/8 and 0-60 in 3.68

2 months later with still the same mods but kool 69 degree air rolled in

40-12.08 @ 123.7
41-12.20 @ 122.4
42-12.20 @ 122.5
43-11.95 @ 122.1
44-12.17 @ 123.0
45-11.92 @ 124.2 (Highest mph yet but just couldnt get good 60 foots...best was only 1.98)

Went out again the next night with still the same mods but WOW 67 degree weather

46-12.47 @ 122.2
47-12.60 @ 120.0
48-12.03 @ 124.4
49-11.81 @ 122.9
50-11.80 @ 124.7 (highest mph yet but didnt do better than a 1.95 60 foot tonight)
51-11.80 @ 123.6
52-11.78 @ 123.0
53-11.93 @ 124.2

Unfortunetly I redlined the last run really bad and the car seemed a lil off...Scanned with my sct tuner and saw I have the codes P0320 and P0302...Hope it's nothing serious

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL i have a guy thats never owned a Gen 4 who drives his car on the street using some half assed Vercom computer to time his runs giving me his opinion about what Vipers can run in the 550 RWHP range.My opinions-FACTS were formulated by having one of the very best drag racers in the United States on stock tires run my DIFFERENT VIPERS hundreds of times over a 15 year period at Englishtown (basically the Yankee Stadiun of drag strips )

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BAD...we get it bro. You are proud of your old car and the drivers that piloted it to great times...Very kool man...But times have changed and 11.2 isnt a big deal...

Im pretty sure speed freak or dragon will hit an 11.2 this year with less than 500 rwhp..just takes practice and a good run is all with some nice weather..

Please 1BAD just let it go and let these guys have a good time...All we ever ask from you...Thanks man..talk later

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BAD...we get it bro. You are proud of your old car and the drivers that piloted it to great times...Very kool man...But times have changed and 11.2 isnt a big deal...

Im pretty sure speed freak or dragon will hit an 11.2 this year with less than 500 rwhp..just takes practice and a good run is all with some nice weather..

Please 1BAD just let it go and let these guys have a good time...All we ever ask from you...Thanks man..talk later
Your giving an opinion predicated upon EXTREMELY LIMITED experiance this topic (using a vericom computer on a public road is slightly different than having one of the best drivers in the country run a GEN 4 at one of the best tracks in the world )Times always change but what has not changed is the FACT that only one person has been able to get a VIPER IN THE 10S (be it a GEN 2 or a Gen 4 )in the 550 RWHP range on stock tires in a 15 YEAR PERIOD.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you would get destroyed .Remember one think Nine Ford Motor Company can have ANY test driver in the world testing developing their cars to get the BEST possible times on stock tires do they fly you in to run the prototypes or Evan.

You probably don't realize that I also held a bunch of 6-speed records in the LS1 world. I also piloted two different stock Camaros into the 12s - both quicker than what Evan did in one, which he published in Muscle Mustangs mag. First LS1 6-spd to run 11s NA, and 10s NA also. I've logged over 2,000 passes at the track, never once did I have to let someone else drive my cars for me. As for flying me in to drive cars, I'm not a magazine editor with extensive industry connections. Do they fly Evan out into the Gulf of Mexico to manage offshore construction instead of me? Nope. Different professions. That doesn't prove anything.

So yes, I do feel I could hang with these guys. I just don't have the nutswinger like yourself to carry my balls around for me. LOL!

Twister: Sounds like you probably broke a valve spring or bent a pushrod on that Over-rev. Pull the valve covers and inspect.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably don't realize that I also held a bunch of 6-speed records in the LS1 world. I also piloted two different stock Camaros into the 12s - both quicker than what Evan did in one, which he published in Muscle Mustangs mag. First LS1 6-spd to run 11s NA, and 10s NA also. I've logged over 2,000 passes at the track, never once did I have to let someone else drive my cars for me.

So yes, I do feel I could hang with these guys. I just don't have the nutswinger like yourself to carry my balls around for me. LOL!

Twister: Sounds like you probably broke a valve spring or bent a pushrod on that Over-rev. Pull the valve covers and inspect.
Facts are facts IF could do behind the wheel what he could you would be getting paid to stock cars not him but your not are you (take a look at the TV Show PROS VERSES JOES see what happens when the Joe goes heads up with the Pro ).If you were to run a search of the STOCK PRODUCTION records for american supercars he is in the top 3 best times for all of them with VERY LITTLE SEAT TIME (are you if so point it out )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides Ford ,Shelby also screwed up (this weekend hes there testing a prototype Supersnake )Nine call Carroll or Gary Patterson (his VP )tell them you could do what he does behind the wheel (he cant drive =its all political connections ect ) iam sure they will be flying you in instead.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This whole debate and conclusion that there is only 1 10 second timeslip for a stock viper because "the best drivers in the world can't do it" really misses the mark. Professional drivers are professionals for a reason - they do what they do well - but that is not the end all be all.

It fails to take into account that a talented but not professional driver can sometimes get more out of the same car because he spends nothing but time driving that car and develops a level of connection and finesse that simply doesn't come from climbing in it and taking a couple dozen passes. I own three cars. They all drive and launch very differently. I have given up taking them out to the track together because I find I end up with mediocre times in them all because it is just too difficult to reach that zen connection with the car if I am driving one and then another, etc. A professional can do this better than me but it is still the same issue of getting all the stars to align in a particular car and that takes a real dedication to methodically refining your technique over quite a bit of time.

Case in point is the Z06 driver that I think goes by the name Ranger. I think he has the fastest times anywhere for a stock Z06 and is running times no one thought possible with that car. He isn't a professional but he has BEATEN ever time driven by a professional in that car. He has probably run hundreds and hundreds of runs in the car. I don't care how good a professional driver is he will not get that level of performance out of the car because of his inability to harness the intangibles that only come with driving one platform day and nite, day after day and harnessing the very small details that make the difference.

As has been stated several times in this thread, the number of good drivers who actually drag race there vipers is VERY small. I have been to my track 2 dozen times without seeing or racing another viper. At every event there are a dozen or more Z06s of various performance levels. So it is simply an empty comparison.

Furman has run the fastest stock time I know of, he is not a professional and he has eclipsed every professional driver's best run. He did it using many counter intuitive techniques like not power shifting, etc. Likewise when I ran my 11.57 in my car when it was stock that was the fastest around including professional drivers I think. But even that has been improved upon I think by Viperjim who is not a professional but has spent the enormous time and energy to master the car to its ultimate potential in stock trim.

In the world of optimizing a mostly stock car on real street tires I think the best times will ultimately be achieved by a talented but not professional driver who has put in the time and practice and harnessed the very small intangibles that come with that that make the difference. Just my .02 but that is what the facts support with Ranger, Furman, etc. So just because Evan Smith or some other professional can't run a 10 in a stock 08 viper etc., doesn't mean it can't and won't be done. The fact that Furman did it already proves my point.

What is missing most is the pool of dedicated Viper owner/drivers that will take the level of time and committment necessary to run great times. There are legions of vette owners doing this but maybe a handful of Viper drivers and that is the big difference.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facts are facts IF could do behind the wheel what he could you would be getting paid to stock cars not him but your not are you)

Terrible English there all the way around.:confused: Did it ever occur to you that Nineball just might make a living that is better than what they pay a professional gear ******? Key word you missed in his post was offshore. I know you were just in a hurry to vomit more stuff about your boyfriend, but really, if you have a friend, have them read your icky little posts and ask them to truly tell you what they think.

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just curious why Evan doesn't list the 10.X run in his driver profile... Seems odd to me. Maybe someone should e mail him

EVAN SMITH RACING

Additional Highlights
- Evan has been featured on television shows including: NHRA Today, NHRA Heat, Fox 5 News and ESPN's Cold Pizza.
- Evan has done extensive magazine testing of a variety of automobiles. The following is a brief list of cars tested: 2001 Dodge Viper RT-10 (11.77/122 mph); 2004 ZO6 Corvette (12.04/118 mph); 1995 Cobra R (12.92/105 mph); 2000 Cobra R (12.42/112 mph); 2003 Cobra (12.43/113 mph); 2005 Ford GT (10.98/129 mph); 2007 ZO6 Corvette (11.22/126 mph); and most recently the 2007 Shelby GT500 (12.25/117 mph) and the limited edition 2007 Roush Drag Pak Mustang (11.91/115 mph).

- In 1997 Evan Smith became the first NHRA racer to set a national record with a "late-model" fuel-injected Mustang, setting the L/S record at 12.04/110 mph).

- Evan was the first Stock Eliminator with a 302 Ford to break the 10-second barrier when he ran 10.92 with his '93 Cobra in 2006.

- Evan worked at the famous Englishtown Raceway Park for six years while attending Montclair State University.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kayla thanks for posting that. Just by looking at that profile I can see that i personally ran a quicker time than Evan did in my c5 Zo6 which was actually an 01 model with 20 less hp than the 04 Evan ran. I went 11.98@117 in mine. For the sake of argument as well I had less than 15 passes on that car.

1bad pros vs. Joes seriously? The best 1/4 mile pros don't play with street cars lol. To think that Evan is the only guy that can run those times is crazy.

The Ranger example is perfect. I have seen him run many times, and frankly he's not that good. After his 1 millionth pass in his own car he sets records. He runs damn near every weekend and eventually runs the number. I have seen him make runs in other peoples cars and perform subpar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth