Getting Near the 10's in my mildy modified 06 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. The last year has been a nightmare with all work and no play. But finally I have gotten my viper back out on the track. My goal is a simple one. To get a 10 second quarter mile with bolt on mods (no nitrous) and street tires (no drag radials).

I made alot of headway last night and think it is in reach if all the stars align with some great weather this fall.

The car now has been modified with a 3.55 gear, headers and 3" exhaust, K&N and a computer tune. That is it. More importantly I have put the car on a diet with eurotech rotors, aluminum flywheel, 6 spoke wheels, a racing battery and some nitto invo tires.

Obviously, weather this time of year is not great for setting records so I have converted the times to standard conditions. Last night the density altitude was about 1500 feet.

Turned a best uncorrected run of 11.47 @ 124.08. Ran a 1.79 short time. Corrected to standard conditions this is an 11.29 @ 126.12. Correcting more for the great weather I had for my record stock run it is an 11.17 @ 127.5. So I have to wittle about a tenth and a half to get there. I think I can get another half a tenth in the 60 foot with practice and with a really good cool down and great weather it is in reach.

So the 03 to 06 platform is sold really short in performance potential. If I can get it in the 10's with basically an exhaust, intake and computer tune that would be pretty cool. We will see.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Speedfreak, we are have the same goal. This spring it turned an 11.40 @ 123.02 1.78 60 ft. on PS2's, with K&N, corsa, random cats and a tune. Since then I too went on a diet with the six spoke wheels and eurotech rotors. My DA was 1200 ft. at the time of the run. I feel confident the car will run 11.2's this fall in Georgia.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Work on your launch!!! that will make the biggest difference. It dropped my car from a 10.5 down to low 9's and we still have alot more wiggle room.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes 3 of us..Of course mine is just with my personal timing gear...More to see what I can do with new mods as their are no drag strips on my island..

I actually just made quite a few passes less then 15 minutes ago...A month ago with the same mods I have right now I squeaked out an 11.67 at 122.7 mph..I was averageing 121-122 mph all night wich was great for me (75 degree weather and 1000 foot elevation)

Well the weather dropped down to 69 degrees wich is COLD for hawaii so I said what the hell might as well go make some passes with this cold air before my new KN air intake and BBK throttle body arrive..

-12.08 at 123.7
-12.20 at 122.4
-12.0 at 122.5
-11.95 at 122.1
-12.17 at 123.0
-11.92 at 124.2

The 123's made me smile as these were my first 123's but the 124.2 blew my mind....Unfortunetly I just couldnt get anything better than a 1.98 60 foot and bogged like crazy tonight. 2.0-2.1 was the average..

Man I really think If I could have gotten a high 1.8x or low 1.9x 60 foot then I could have beat my 11.67 tonight...maybe a 11.4-11.5..The mph was there!

Good luck guys...No doubt these cars can do it..500 rwhp with all the bolt ons is good for 127 mph trapps in the right air with the right driver...You can squeak a 10.9 with 127 trapps

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. The last year has been a nightmare with all work and no play. But finally I have gotten my viper back out on the track. My goal is a simple one. To get a 10 second quarter mile with bolt on mods (no nitrous) and street tires (no drag radials).

I made alot of headway last night and think it is in reach if all the stars align with some great weather this fall.

The car now has been modified with a 3.55 gear, headers and 3" exhaust, K&N and a computer tune. That is it. More importantly I have put the car on a diet with eurotech rotors, aluminum flywheel, 6 spoke wheels, a racing battery and some nitto invo tires.

Obviously, weather this time of year is not great for setting records so I have converted the times to standard conditions. Last night the density altitude was about 1500 feet.

Turned a best uncorrected run of 11.47 @ 124.08. Ran a 1.79 short time. Corrected to standard conditions this is an 11.29 @ 126.12. Correcting more for the great weather I had for my record stock run it is an 11.17 @ 127.5. So I have to wittle about a tenth and a half to get there. I think I can get another half a tenth in the 60 foot with practice and with a really good cool down and great weather it is in reach.

So the 03 to 06 platform is sold really short in performance potential. If I can get it in the 10's with basically an exhaust, intake and computer tune that would be pretty cool. We will see.
Best of luck if you can do it.My old GTS trapped 132 on street tires and was driven by the best of the best (Jamie Furman,Evan Smith )and nobody could put here in the 10s.(11.2 was the best )If you can get 10s on such a low trap speed on stock tires thats saying something.Beware though a 11.4 is a long way from a 10 second pass (about 4car lenghts to make up )tough to do on the Pilots.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps i dont know what you mean by corrected times as i always went by the times the car actually ran.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps i dont know what you mean by corrected times as i always went by the times the car actually ran.

He's adjusting for DA. Jamie has always ran his 10sec passes in -DA, which is almost impossible to duplicate in other areas that are way above sea level.

Link to the calculator.
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

For instance, I ran an 11.460 @ 122mph in my stock 08 Coupe when it was 95F outside and with a 3400 density altitude and a 1.90 60'. With the DA correction, it should be a 10.9x. I'm actually planning to go run it again in the next few weeks, and try to get my 60' down in the 1.7's. That coupled with the colder weather should hopefully get me in the low 11's...maybe even a 10.9999999 :rolaugh:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i
He's adjusting for DA. Jamie has always ran his 10sec passes in -DA, which is almost impossible to duplicate in other areas that are way above sea level.

Link to the calculator.
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

For instance, I ran an 11.460 @ 122mph in my stock 08 Coupe when it was 95F outside and with a 3400 density altitude and a 1.90 60'. With the DA correction, it should be a 10.9x. I'm actually planning to go run it again in the next few weeks, and try to get my 60' down in the 1.7's. That coupled with the colder weather should hopefully get me in the low 11's...maybe even a 10.9999999 :rolaugh:
I realize that BUT records dont reflect ANY computerized correction factor whatso ever the record is ACTUAL ET ran not computer generated corrections .My GEN 2 for example ran 11.2 in a 2000 foot DA one time is it a 10 second car ABSOLUTELY NOT its a low 11 second car.That are many many reasons for this (traction factoring for one-because you have the air to convert to lower time does not mean that tire will provide traction to do so esp on pilots)I will take any Viper at 550 to the tire on stock tires in ANY DA you choose i want to see a 10 second ACTUAL pass .Of all the Vipers EVER ran down the quarter mile in that power range IN ANY POSSIBLE DA one driver ever (Furman )has made an actual 10 second pass .I referred to my old Gen 2 that car made over 1000 passes at ENGLISHTOWN (one of the fastest tracts in the world )sometimes the DA weather was dead sea level perfect ect sometimes it was 2000 feet.The car was driven by the best of the best in these variable DAs it never ran 10s .The car trapped 127-132 (depending on the DA )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically what iam saying is the sea level DA will provide added horsepower (trap will increase )but the stock tire will NEVER hook up enough to get a 10 second pass .

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get that that Jamie Furman is a great driver, but when looking at his 10.92 record you have to understand that pass made March 23 2009 was a DA of -900 (ballpark) and at a track rental.
Most other guys you see post up times are from friday night street drags with minimum track prep.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give you another example the mag guys ran my Gen 4 (E-Town ) in 600-700 foot DA and Smith got a 11.3 at 129.7 out of it around (80 -decent weather not great ).We discussed coming back in the late fall on a 40 degree night (below sea level Da ) Smith quickly pointed out that horsepower not the issue to getting into the 10s traction was.The only thing a more favorable DA would do is increase the trap speed =TIRE TRACK ECT NEVER hold the power .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that that Jamie Furman is a great driver, but when looking at his 10.92 record you have to understand that pass made March 23 2009 was a DA of -900 (ballpark) and at a track rental.
Most other guys you see post up times are from friday night street drags with minimum track prep.[/QUOTE Your still in any DA not going to be able to run 10s on 550 to the tire on PILOTS in a Viper.The evidence speaks for itself in all the Vipers runs ever conducted in perfect DA s its been done once thats it.AS i pointed out my Gen 2 trapped 132 drivn by the absolute best drivers in the world on stock tires (Evan Smith ,Jamie Furman ,Ken Miele )hundreds of runs at Englishtown in PERFECT DA in approx 30 private test sessions it never ran 10s.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've cut 1.4's on invos. Your et is there. Do a track rental in good air and you'll see a huge difference. Nothing past 60' matters.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could go all night, to the first post, your getting close.

Good luck
Tens of thousands of drag strip runs have been conducted in Vipers of this power range starting back in the early 90s on stock tires .MANY MANY have been in great da s ect . Out of tens of thousands of runs one 10 second pass

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these tires this guys running on DR or stock tires .

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i I realize that BUT records dont reflect ANY computerized correction factor whatso ever the record is ACTUAL ET ran not computer generated corrections .My GEN 2 for example ran 11.2 in a 2000 foot DA one time is it a 10 second car ABSOLUTELY NOT its a low 11 second car.That are many many reasons for this (traction factoring for one-because you have the air to convert to lower time does not mean that tire will provide traction to do so esp on pilots)I will take any Viper at 550 to the tire on stock tires in ANY DA you choose i want to see a 10 second ACTUAL pass .Of all the Vipers EVER ran down the quarter mile in that power range IN ANY POSSIBLE DA one driver ever (Furman )has made an actual 10 second pass .I referred to my old Gen 2 that car made over 1000 passes at ENGLISHTOWN (one of the fastest tracts in the world )sometimes the DA weather was dead sea level perfect ect sometimes it was 2000 feet.The car was driven by the best of the best in these variable DAs it never ran 10s .The car trapped 127-132 (depending on the DA )

No one said anything about setting any records. Jamie Furman has already done that (on Pilots) so no ones trying to do it. Besides, all these "records" are just bull $hit internet records that no one really cares about. What the DA correction factor tells me is that when the DA gets better, that my car would run a faster time...SOOOO, I will go back and hope to run that time in colder weather. We have to use correction factors, so we can compare how we stack up, even in different locations. 1/4 mile passes, dyno runs, etc.

Also, you seem to be stuck on the whole Michelin Pilot traction issue. I'll be running on my 2 year old Nitto Invo's that have 20,000 miles on them, and if I don't have any driveline issues, I think these tires will hook. A LOT of people swear by the Invo's for straight line traction (as do I). Ricky Crossley, friend of mine that bought Jerry Kennedy's 1400whp TT Viper, cut a 1.7x 60' on 20" Nitto Invo's in the ADV.1 Paxton Viper, at Dallas Raceway (I sat and watched him do it). I'm not concerned about the tires at all, just slipping the clutch out.

I get that you have raced your car a lot, or some professional driver has raced it, but it always seems like you come into these drag racing threads and act as if your experience is the end-all for anyone that attempts to drag race. Congrats to Jamie Furman or Evan Smith for their accomplishments, but that won't stop me from trying to do well in my car. I don't say that to start some internet drama with you, but it gets really old. Step back and take a look at all of your posts on this subject, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Good luck Speedfreak, make us proud! :usa: :headbang:

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that you have raced your car a lot, or some professional driver has raced it, but it always seems like you come into these drag racing threads and act as if your experience is the end-all for anyone that attempts to drag race. Congrats to Jamie Furman or Evan Smith for their accomplishments, but that won't stop me from trying to do well in my car. I don't say that to start some internet drama with you, but it gets really old. Step back and take a look at all of your posts on this subject, and you will see what I'm talking about.

^^^^^^^^THIS

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goin out again tonight if the weather permits...Hopeing for an 11.5

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one said anything about setting any records. Jamie Furman has already done that (on Pilots) so no ones trying to do it. Besides, all these "records" are just bull $hit internet records that no one really cares about. What the DA correction factor tells me is that when the DA gets better, that my car would run a faster time...SOOOO, I will go back and hope to run that time in colder weather. We have to use correction factors, so we can compare how we stack up, even in different locations. 1/4 mile passes, dyno runs, etc.

Also, you seem to be stuck on the whole Michelin Pilot traction issue. I'll be running on my 2 year old Nitto Invo's that have 20,000 miles on them, and if I don't have any driveline issues, I think these tires will hook. A LOT of people swear by the Invo's for straight line traction (as do I). Ricky Crossley, friend of mine that bought Jerry Kennedy's 1400whp TT Viper, cut a 1.7x 60' on 20" Nitto Invo's in the ADV.1 Paxton Viper, at Dallas Raceway (I sat and watched him do it). I'm not concerned about the tires at all, just slipping the clutch out.

Good luck Speedfreak, make us proud! :usa: :headbang:
And my point is the correction factor your using is not at all accurate because it does not account for tire traction.The records are for STOCK cars on STOCK tires basically then your running Nittos which are nothing more than drag radials(your running them not Pilots because they give you added traction) .If you have ever have run a stock tired Viper making 550 to the tire (in any DA you chose ,on any quarter mile track you want you would realize an ACTUAL 10 second pass is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to achieve )

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.If you have ever have run a stock tired Viper making 550 to the tire (in any DA you chose ,on any quarter mile track you want you would realize an ACTUAL 10 second pass is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to achieve )
Is it that you want the guys to stop trying??? :dunno:

I see your posts all the time in these drag threads. You basically try to shut down everyone who even attempts 10's. That's getting old... Faster than a 10 second run.

Unwad your *******... Take a deep breath... Take a shot... What ever it is you have to do and stop berating anyone who wants to have fun driving their Viper with a goal in mind.

Relax!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 1BADGTS would have a heart attack if he were not allowed to type "Jamie Furman" or "Evan Smith" ever again. His posting would then cease to exist, since he never does anything but mention his heroes.

Speedfreak, you still have about 2 tenths left in that 60' time. That is what you will need to work on. In cooler weather, I can see your car trapping 126-127 no problem. But, you will need a 1.6X short time to squeak into the 10s with those trap speeds. If you are still on the OEM 2006 tires, it won't happen. Those tires are awful and are as hard as rocks. Just wait until you do get some cold weather, the tires will be like granite.

Tony

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, just stop posting in this thread. This guy is working on his own personal goal. If you don't like it, don't post. Nobody cares about who drove your car. The fact you didn't drive your own car is pretty sad. To me, that's like someone sleeping with your girl and bragging about how good he was vs you. With a 20" Nitto Invo, I cut a 1.43, it can be done. Just takes the right conditions.

Quit ******* on the boys parade and go pay someone else to drive your car.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And my point is the correction factor your using is not at all accurate because it does not account for tire traction.The records are for STOCK cars on STOCK tires basically then your running Nittos which are nothing more than drag radials(your running them not Pilots because they give you added traction) .If you have ever have run a stock tired Viper making 550 to the tire (in any DA you chose ,on any quarter mile track you want you would realize an ACTUAL 10 second pass is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to achieve )

Why yes, my car made 560whp stock, but 553whp since I pulled the mufflers off, so I have plenty of experience putting that power down. I don't care about any "record". Saying my Invo's are like drag radials, is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. They have over 20,000 miles and have been used for daily driver duty since Feb, 2009. I run them because they are $400 cheaper for a set and last 10,000 more miles than my stock PS2's. I've ve already said once that I was clutch limited, not tire limited on my launch. Practice dropping tire pressure and warming your tires up if you want traction. Not sure if it works on PS2's, but it definitely works on the Invo's.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went out again tonight..weather was some of the best Ive ever had in hawaii..67 degrees with not a cloud in the sky!!!!! Still 1000 foot elevation though and a personal FX2 timer (not good for bragging rights but good for testing mods and me against myself)....

12.47 @ 122.2
12.60 @ 120.0
12.03 @ 124.4
11.81 @ 122.9
11.80 @ 124.7 (highest mph ever)
11.80 @ 123.6
11.78 @ 123.0
11.93 @ 124.2

unfortunetly despite the great weather and high mph my best 60 foot of the night was only a 1.95..Leaving me very short of beating my personal best of 11.67 at 122.7 mph

Also throughout these runs I remembered that Dan lesser had programmed my SCT to allow me to rev to 6250 rpm's. I said screw it and reved as close to 6250 on all the passes...

BUT..I redlined VERY BAD on the last pass and the car didnt seem right and the check engine light came on. I scanned with the sct and saw I have the following codes now...

P0320
P0302

I have no idea what they are yet BUT THIS IS THE PRICE YOU PAY trying to get max potential in drag raceing...

Ill get what ever it is taken care of and try try try again

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

P0320 is Crankshaft position sensor reference signal cannot be found while the engine is cranking.

A P0302 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #2.

A code P0302 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty spark plug or wire
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector
    You must be registered for see images attach
  • Burned exhaust valve
    You must be registered for see images attach
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Running out of fuel
  • Poor compression
  • Defective computer

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a mil...Ill reset and see how it goes. Dragon and speedfreak..hope you guys have better luck then me...LOL

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why yes, my car made 560whp stock, but 553whp since I pulled the mufflers off, so I have plenty of experience putting that power down. I don't care about any "record". Saying my Invo's are like drag radials, is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. They have over 20,000 miles and have been used for daily driver duty since Feb, 2009. I run them because they are $400 cheaper for a set and last 10,000 more miles than my stock PS2's. I've ve already said once that I was clutch limited, not tire limited on my launch. Practice dropping tire pressure and warming your tires up if you want traction. Not sure if it works on PS2's, but it definitely works on the Invo's.
The above is totally irrevelant because there is no way are you ACTUALLY going to break into the 10s (with that power level running stock tires )on any NHRA track out there in any DA The evidence in no way supports your THEORYS if it did show me all of those 10 second time slips as there have been many a runs on the sea level tracks.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, just stop posting in this thread. This guy is working on his own personal goal. If you don't like it, don't post. Nobody cares about who drove your car. The fact you didn't drive your own car is pretty sad. To me, that's like someone sleeping with your girl and bragging about how good he was vs you. With a 20" Nitto Invo, I cut a 1.43, it can be done. Just takes the right conditions.

Quit ******* on the boys parade and go pay someone else to drive your car.
If the info iam posting is FACTUALLY UNTRUE speak up then.(you absolutely know its not or would have said so ) Iam not trying to rain on anyones parade correction factors are not at all accurate when being applied to stock tired cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth