redlined bad now not running right

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bounced mine off the rev limiter several times. It has always been on upshift. I have never had a problem with mine - Yet.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could also be timing chain damage.........

That can give the crank position sensor fits.

Greg

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everything back together..

codes p0301 and p0300 now..

-sigh-

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the storm chaser forum and noticed the helmet cam video you posted over there . Do you think some flying debris could have pierced the block? That footage looked pretty rough.

You must be registered for see images

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the storm chaser forum and noticed the helmet cam video you posted over there . Do you think some flying debris could have pierced the block? That footage looked pretty rough.

You must be registered for see images

You're killing me man! :lmao:

Jim

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know what the "real" rev limit is on these cars. But if your tune put it on the edge and you passed it then it is possible you did some real damage. Personally I would follow the above advice.

Stock rev limit is 6050. We set all re-programmed ECU's to 6250 unless requested otherwise. While not entirely stable unless you have a better than OEM valvetrain, you will not make contact at 6250. The only reason we raise it is so those who shift at 6K dont keep bumping into it all the time.

That said, there is NO way to prevent a mechanical overrev. You can set the rev limiter to 1000, but shift into 3rd at 180mph, and your engine will scream to 18K... once. If he hit first instead of third, it is possible that is what happened. However, it is also possible in lower gears, if the car is accelerating hard and you totally forget to shift, the inertia of the car can drag it past the rev limiter for a split second after it cuts, but this is rare as you would have to be asleep at the wheel not to hit the clutch, or already be in the process of a late shift, or..........

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're killing me man! :lmao:

Jim

Do you have any shenanigans to share?:rolaugh: I am hacked that Twister didn't let me know if he could see my experimental punctuation picture that took an exorbitant amount of time to create. Until he does, more shenanigans.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any shenanigans to share?:rolaugh: I am hacked that Twister didn't let me know if he could see my experimental punctuation picture that took an exorbitant amount of time to create. Until he does, more shenanigans.

I'm waiting the results of the much suggested compression/leak down tests etc....until then, I am shenanigansless, I am without shenanigan, I am shenanigan-free... ;)

Jim

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the face palm was very inique no doubt..That video of the tornado is one of my favorite..Amazeing force

I cleared the codes and drove 2 miles..The check engine light popped back up but it was only the p0301 (misfire at sparkplug 1) the p3000 isnt coming back up (multiple misfires) and the p0320 (crank shaft sensor) hasnt come back on at all...

Dark now and Im tired....will mess with spark plug and boot number 1 tomorrow and see were that leads

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting the results of the much suggested compression/leak down tests etc....until then, I am shenanigansless, I am without shenanigan, I am shenanigan-free... ;)

Jim

I get the feeling Twister is a do it yourself kind of guy...admirable really, but he should take the advice of the tuners that have spent the time to post here and take the car in. Or, he could park it, and go flog the NSX until it blows up again.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the face palm was very inique no doubt..That video of the tornado is one of my favorite..Amazeing force

I cleared the codes and drove 2 miles..The check engine light popped back up but it was only the p0301 (misfire at sparkplug 1) the p3000 isnt coming back up (multiple misfires) and the p0320 (crank shaft sensor) hasnt come back on at all...

Dark now and Im tired....will mess with spark plug and boot number 1 tomorrow and see were that leads

Good news it sounds. Thanks for clearing up my experiment. It truly was amazeingly inique.:rolaugh:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could really save yourself alot of bs if you will do a compression test on the cyl that stored a hard code,2 i think you said-the multiple misfires is from the valves floating from the big nascar rev..do a comp test and that will tell you a whole lot real fast..

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might take 10 minutes to pull a valve cover, seriously. If you are getting a code on Cyl 1, I'd start with that side first. A busted valvespring or bent pushrod can still trigger a misfire code. Both are a simple fix.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
twister has an SCT tune, maybe it doesn't have a limiter ?

good info on the bent pushrod. hope thats all it is...

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
twister has an SCT tune, maybe it doesn't have a limiter ?

good info on the bent pushrod. hope thats all it is...

I am pretty sure the SCT rev limiter is 6250. Twister, listen to Nine Ball. I would try that first, and if success isn't found there, take it to the dealer for a compression test.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK OK OK....

I messed with the p301 misfire at cylinder 1 and readjusted the boot to be a little more snug on the plug...car ran better than ever for about 10 minutes. Than the p0302 (misfire in cylinder 2 came on) Im gonna check that plug shortly but its starting to worry me a lil...

I know how to pull the covers but honestly I wouldnt even know what the hell Im looking for..

Thinking I will just adjust number 2 boot and plug for a good connection and see what she does. Then pull the coveres

bluresrt I have no idea how to do a compression test..hell that was the first time I ever changed my own spark plugs

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
compression test ...
Remove the spark plug
Screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole
Turn engine over 4 times
Read guage, record reading
unsrew compression tester and squeeze bleeder to release pressure
Screw sparkplug back into hole.

Finished

Remove valve cover bolts and attachments (like the plug wire holders and breather tube) remove valve cover. Study first valve stem, check the spring retainer keepers. See that the rocker is tight against the valve tip. If the rocker is loose then find the missing piece. Check all valves, retainers, keepers, rockers, pushrods, etc. Look for broken or loose parts.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its best to get a acurate reading if you hold open the throttles while cranking---just sayin--- its easy twister...you need to do this --go rent a comp tester from the parts store

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save us all the effort trying to figure this out and bring it in for new plugs and wires. Your original post made it sound like a serious issue.:2tu:

If you are going to attempt to do a compression test make sure you disable the coils so it won't start during the test. I'm not sure if that was mentioned.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK OK OK....

I messed with the p301 misfire at cylinder 1 and readjusted the boot to be a little more snug on the plug...car ran better than ever for about 10 minutes. Than the p0302 (misfire in cylinder 2 came on) Im gonna check that plug shortly but its starting to worry me a lil...

I know how to pull the covers but honestly I wouldnt even know what the hell Im looking for..

Thinking I will just adjust number 2 boot and plug for a good connection and see what she does. Then pull the coveres

bluresrt I have no idea how to do a compression test..hell that was the first time I ever changed my own spark plugs

Twister,

Be careful when removing the spark plug wires, they will come apart when pulled if not careful.

Best of luck determining your issue.

Toddy

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBG..That is exactly what happenned on number 10...Thing ripped right off the boot. fortunetly it was very easy to remake a connection...

As of about 30 minutes ago I ordered a set of yellow wires from AB's quality wires with the heat shield boot protectors and he was kind enough to give me some free champion OEM spark plugs..

He was a very nice guy and apparently really likes hunting...he was also kind enough to send me the parts before payment saying I could just send him a check after I get the parts and that he has never had a problem with any people from the VCA...

I belieave he goes by the screen name AB of quality wires and wow what a pleasure and all around seemingly good guy...

Ill be takeing the plugs and wires to the dealership and haveing them install. They charge a LOT for this but it "should" be done right

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He is a nice guy. He sent my wires to Macedo Motorsports when I went to Florida last year and said to mail him a cheque. He did get ripped off by a tuner (SVS?) on a custom set though. Not sure if he ever did get paid or not after he posted it.

Twister, you still have to grab the plug wire at the boot and not the wire or you'll pull the wires out of the boot. They are actually difficult to rewire unless you have the special pliers of the 2 pc die set.

If you remove the cowl the wires are easy to change if you're careful and do them only 1 wire at a time. The cylinders are numbered odds on the driver's side and evens on the passenger side. Front of engine is #1 and #2 cylinders with 9 & 10 being the rearmost. My coils had the cylinder numbers cast into them.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks RTTTTED..

Got it next phase. As soon as the new wires/plugs arrive Ill take her in

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were able to use the stock looms with the AB wires on mine. At first it didnt seem like they would fit, but they do...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave