redlined bad now not running right

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out doing some acelleration runs the other night and redlined VERY ******* my last 2-3 shift...

The car then sounded quite funny and seemed to be down a bit on power (maybe 50 horses)

i got the codes P0302 wich a member explained to me was the sparkplug ect. number 2

i also got the code p0320 wich a member explained to me was the crank sensor signal not found...

Thanks KALA

So the advice was to reset the code. useing my sct tuiner I reset the code and restarted the vehicle and drove the next moring..

the car started again running rough and the check engine light came back on. This time their was no crank senor signal code but their was still the sparkplug #2 code..And the passenger side exhaust had excessive smoke.

I parked the car and realized that my drivers side titanium exhaust was very loose. i removed the side sill and saw that my drivers side exhaust had come completely undone and was simply rattling around in the side sill.

I bolted it back on good and tight and put the side sill back on..

let the car idle a bit and noticed she still seemed to be running rough..

i took off spark plus wire number 2 and reinserted it onto the spark plug. I restarted the car and the check engine light was on for a few seconds and then went away.

I scanned again with the sct and no codes were found. I then went on a 6 mile cruise and while no codes were illuminated through the check engine light their still seemed to be a slight "miss" coming from the passenger side exhaust. As well the car still seemed to be down a lil on power (hard to say as I loaded back in the stock tune while doing all this trouble shooting and it is noticebly weaker than the Dan lesser SCT tune)

But one thing that I did notice for sure is that when I put the car in 6th gear the shifter dances around violently and the car seems as if it will rattle apart..1-2-3-4-5 all seem fine...

im thinking I just need to replace the plugs and wires. but any other suggestions?

of course you would know while I was out trouble shooting I ran across a silver lamborguini gallardo with the plates "UWLDLOSE"

under the circustances Im sure his plates were right...LOL

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister did you go to the web site I quoted in that post? There is a forum there with all the info I posted.

Also what speed are you going when you are in 6th gear?

There was another post here on the forums about bad cats... Did you see that thread?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So you redlined on an UPSHIFT, not a DOWNSHIFT, correct? If so, it is unlikely that you mechanically over-revved your engine. I would however recommend pulling the plugs and having a look at them, and a compression and/or leakdown test on the affected cylinder(s) isnt a bad idea. Wires are likely fine... unless they are original or damaged, then just do them since you are there anyway. The crank signal issue is suspicious, but a momentary loss of signal could cause a cylinder to fire at the wrong time, perhaps explaining your #2 oddity.

Check the basics, then move on. Anything else is a guess.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the sparkplugs looked like when you pulled them out and looked at them? Extra oil smoke would be seen on the sparkplugs and missing could indicate shorted plug electrodes. Could simply be old wires or old plugs. Could also be a bent valve, collapsed lifter, broken rocker, etc.

I had a GM pickup and it started running rough. Then the head of the valve fell off into the engine and destroyed 3 of the pistons. ... and I didn't event overrev it - just had cheapo valves in the engine.

Compression test?

Ted

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going on an upshift from 2nd to 3rd under full acelleration. With the sct tune allowing my car to rev to 6250 rpm's i went for 6200 with a shift to third at 100 mph..unfortunetly i was quite a bit late and the car redlined at 6250 rpm's while in second gear at around 100 mph..

The car odes not have any cats..Just a straight pipe titanium exhaust with a muffler 6 inches before exit through the side exhaust...

The car can go up and down the rpm range fine. Just the higher the gear and lower the mph the more the violent shakes that I dont remember the car ever doing before.

As well on the passenger side and passenger side only their is no longer any smoke from the exhaust but their is a slight tick tick tick sound that I dont hear at all on the drivers side..

So plugs/wires and compression test..

luckilly I still have warranty. But i will do the plugs and wires my self LOL..And see if that remedy's her before I go to the dealer..These guys tried to charge me $800 for plugs and wires a few years ago..

Im thinking Ab's auto lites and wires time

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the spark plugs still have a gap ?

and listen to dan lesser on this one. compression check.

ya might wanna delete this thread if yours still planning on selling it.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any video so others can help you diagnose the problem?

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any video so others can help you diagnose the problem?

Perhaps a 30-60 minute re-enactment video would help? (of the redline shift in question and what you were doing in the hours preceding it)? :dunno: ;)

Jim

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a 30-60 minute re-enactment video would help? (of the redline shift in question and what you were doing in the hours preceding it)? :dunno: ;)

Jim

This just in...

You must be registered for see images attach

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if its in the valvetrain may not be to bad....but a piston, that would ****.

I recall losing a piston ringland a while back and it was such a choppy idle.

Car still made power and motor shaking was not noticeable at mid - higher rpm.

However, in each higher gear at lower rpm's the motor was real rough and choppy.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,

I'm betting you either broke a valvespring, bent a pushrod, or bent a valve (less likely). Mechanical over-rev or extended rpm are known to do this. Simply pull the valve cover off on the side that was smoking and check all the springs and pushrods.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't worry guys it's still under warranty LMAO.

I swear if I see you try to file a warranty claim I will forward every one of your street racing videos to every dodge dealer in the Pacific. Seriously you seem to have ZERO integrity.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twist don't you have the rev limit set for your car? I hit the redline from time to time but, the code is usually multi cylinder misfire. I hope it's not serious on any count

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckilly I Still Have Warranty. But I Will Do The Plugs And Wires My Self Lol..and See If That Remedy's Her Before I Go To The Dealer.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

ROFLMFAO
now thats funny!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's really cool, but you apparently have wayyyyyy too much time on your hands!:lmao:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know Tucker was an artist...

Quick type out what the Gen V looks like :deal:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,

I'm betting you either broke a valvespring, bent a pushrod, or bent a valve (less likely). Mechanical over-rev or extended rpm are known to do this. Simply pull the valve cover off on the side that was smoking and check all the springs and pushrods.

This!

Don't drive the car, get it towed to the dealer / mechanic and get it checked out. You don't want to be driving around...

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know Tucker was an artist...

Quick type out what the Gen V looks like :deal:

It was actually an experiment to see if Twister could see punctuation. I anxiously await the findings.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was actually an experiment to see if Twister could see punctuation. I anxiously await the findings.

Simmer down tucker, he's out shooting the re-enactment video of the redline shift! (in the NSX) :drive:

Jim

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing too funny guys...cars down..could be yours so just help without all the shenanigans (thats right I said shenanigans)or move on...

to those actually trying to help..

I removed the spark plugs all but pesty number 10..I am on the way to autozone to get a special tool that will bend and allow me to get it..

Number 1 at the front side on the drivers side was VERY loose and just turned right out as if it was barely even in. It was very wet and dark in coloration...

Number 2 at the front side of the passenger side came out with the correct amount of force but was just a lil wet and dark in coloration..

3-9 all appear to be a white or light off gray color and dry..

Number 10 is the motherf***er so to speak...I cant acess it with my tools and as well the stupid boot was on so tight that I acidentally ripped the wire from the boot...

Im thinking there is a way for me to reconnect the two...Is this somthing doable or would I now have to buy all the replacement wires and go through that hassle.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister. How do you redline 'hard' with a rev limiter? You were going from 2nd to 3rd correct? Did you hit 1st"

Try resetting computer. I bounce off the redline often and it never has hurt anything. That's why the rev limiter.

Speed limit over 100 where you live and did you have your helmet cam on?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't drive the car, get it towed to the dealer / mechanic and get it checked out. You don't want to be driving around...
I don't know what the "real" rev limit is on these cars. But if your tune put it on the edge and you passed it then it is possible you did some real damage. Personally I would follow the above advice.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a compression tester while there.

If you find the compression is down put a few drops of oil into the cylinder and if the compression goes up very much then it's the rings. No change would indicate a valve issue.

If the compression is good then pull the valve covers off and check the springs, keepers, pushrods and rockers.

Ted

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously - I'd do what Ted said and run a compression/leak down test, then go from there...

otherwise (and I can't speak for tucker et al), I'm busting out some more "shenanigans"! :D

Good luck...
Jim

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously - I'd do what Ted said and run a compression/leak down test, then go from there...

otherwise (and I can't speak for tucker et al), I'm busting out some more "shenanigans"! :D

Good luck...
Jim

Jim, you speak for me my man...."shenanigans..."

You must be registered for see images