Code P0174-too lean Questions

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS with a 10Lb Roe S/C on it. It has Ballenger headers,high flow cats and Corsa catback, Vec 2,water **** and Dual Walbro fuel system. CEL came on and it was code p0174- too lean on bank 1. Also had another code for the evap system, but I don't remember it. Cleared the codes but the Car still runs "rough" and seems bogged down, My AFR gauge is also reading richer than normal (sometimes 10.00). I'm sure the ECU is dumping fuel in since it sences a lean condition.

Could it be a bad cat?
Bad o2 sensor? I figured it would throw a different code though. Is there a way to test them?

I've never data logged with the Vec 2, but I don't think I could anyways since the computer sits under the hood and I don't have a serial port on my computer. Can you data log on to a smart card? I'm guessing not, but I really dont know.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Colin

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real time data stream will show a bank 1 o2 sensor that is constantly changing values. If the values change slow, then the o2 is malfunctioning.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could I see that at idle? or would I have to drive it and log? I think it's the whole closed loop/open loop thing.

Thanks

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have the software you can put one end in the OBD2 plug and theother end can go in the laptop.

You don't NEED a serial, just buy a serial > usb cable. Works perfect with my ease software and then just drive and make a log. If you need any help getting everything to work fine for logging, let me know.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Sean at Roe and he's pretty sure it's a front o2 sensor. Will probably ditch the cats after I do my heads and cam. Thanks guys!!

I'll let you know if replacing the o2 sensor works.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the o2 sensor worked (went ahead and replaced both). Glad I had a wide-band and noticed it was running pig rich...The cats wouldn't have lasted long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper