identifing head cover gaskets

Flinch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First let me say I have used the search feature and could not find my answer. I have had my 93 for about a year and it only has 4000 miles on it. I still do not know if it has the new head cover gaskets on it or not. I doubt if it does. While it is on the lift, I want to find out for sure.
I am taking it in for inspection tomorrow and need to know exactly what to look for. My mechanic that is doing the inspection is not a Viper tech.
Sorry for this post, I'm sure this has probably been ask 1000 time before but after reading about 100 post I still could not fine a definitive answer. I know you should be able to see the gasket on the rear of the heads, but what am I looking for?
Thank for your patients.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you see old paper looking stuff sticking out, thats the old style gasket (almost looks like flimsy cardboard). On mine you could also tell because of the old age, it had started to flake in places. The new design is multi-layered steel and does not flake. If you need the new MLS style, buy the head gaskets from Viper Specialty and the rest of the gaskets from Chuck Tator. You save big $$ over the full OEM gasket kit

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would merely add: Yes, I know of a very few Gen I Vipers still running their original head gaskets (DRIVERS, not sitters)...one such example having been discussed here multiple times that has had excellent coolant maintenance and head bolt retorqing on a regular basis.

People that I consider the "Top Dealers"...real pros... have often told me that they will not sell a Gen I taken in on trade without new head gaskets.

As to our own Gen I Vipers...one had this repair done 2 years ago upon finding a small exhaust gas leak into the coolant...the other Gen I will get the same treatment in 2 weeks.

Best of luck!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First let me say I have used the search feature and could not find my answer. I have had my 93 for about a year and it only has 4000 miles on it. I still do not know if it has the new head cover gaskets on it or not. I doubt if it does. While it is on the lift, I want to find out for sure.
I am taking it in for inspection tomorrow and need to know exactly what to look for. My mechanic that is doing the inspection is not a Viper tech.
Sorry for this post, I'm sure this has probably been ask 1000 time before but after reading about 100 post I still could not fine a definitive answer. I know you should be able to see the gasket on the rear of the heads, but what am I looking for?
Thank for your patients.

The newer, improved multi-later OE (and aftermarket) gasket has 5-layers. The center (middle) layer is METAL, and as such presents a visible thin metal line in the gasket material when buffed-scrubbed at the Head-To-Block interface. (the Deck)

If you scotch-brite / lighlty sand / scuff that interface, the shiny metal line reveals itself = NEWER GASKETS.

Additionally, if at that interface you see pecker-track evidence of weeping, seeping runs and drips down the block from that interface, DONT scrub the gasket material, you may worsen the leak!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flinch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you! That's the answers I was looking for. I will be checking it out tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235