Driving to MN - route 61

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I am driving to MN this weekend [23,24,25], heading into Duluth on Friday and driving up route 61. Any particular side roads from 61 that would be more fun? I understand the temps will be cold, but as long as the roads are dry.... :)

We are staying near Grand Marais and the only plan is to drive as much as we can.

And, if there are any VCA members on the way, lets meet if possible. Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

Anil.

Viprrrrr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a number of nice side trips along Hwy 61, but they would only add to your drive time. One suggestion that would only slightly add time to your trip would be MN Hwy 23 just north of Sandstone, MN into Duluth. If you find yourself in Duluth on Friday call John Archer to see if Archer Racing will be open while you are in town. Always a fascinating visit and John is very accommodating.

Upon reaching Grand Marais don't neglect to drive the Gun Flint Trail. It is a bit of an eerie drive since the fire of two years ago, but still very beautiful. There is a restaurant about half way that has very good food for a reasonable price; sorry can't remember the name, but it is on the left side on the trip in. You may also want to consider completing the relatively short drive to Grand Portage near the Canadian border. Hwy 61 hugs the lake for most of the drive with some amazing views of the water. If I were in town I would join you. Have a safe and enjoyable drive.

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Gun Flint Trail is on the agenda. I will check out the other drives you suggest. Thanks much.