MSR October 24th

TlyeACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed there wasn't a thread on this event. I will be heading down from Pearland if anyone wants to caravan. I imagine most will be coming down 288 as well so if people want to meet at the HEB at 518 & 288 say 7:30ish we could roll in style! :headbang:

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a few of us will be going. I heard there are 24 Vipers signed up. I am not sure when I will be coming down 288 but I will try to make 7:30 I will be trailering the car down though.

OP
OP
T

TlyeACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I heard 27, either way pretty awesome. Would be cool to have a caravan of that size rolling down 288. I guess we could move it closer to 8. And yes, I am jealous you have a trailer.

OP
OP
T

TlyeACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an event I have always wanted to go to. Please post how it was / your numbers if you don't mind.

Come on guys, no one else wants to meet up?

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say we need to leave there by 7:30 maybe meet starting at 7:15 and roll out at 7:30 We need to get there a little bit early to (in my case) unload and prepare before the driver meeting. Did anyone email this out to the club, there will probably be more people reached that way.

OP
OP
T

TlyeACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I did not email the club, do not have the entire list. Feel free to do so or I can email Jamie. Thanks

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could make it but as of right now I have to work. I am going to try and see if I can switch with someone.

You guys have fun.

If anything I might be able to show up for an hour or so and watch.

Last edited:

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might meet up with Y'all. I'll be coming down Hwy6 to 288. Could turn left instead of right at 288.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I plan to make this our first club event to attend. Although, we've decided to not track our car with 7 year old run flats. We're looking forward to meeting the club and the caravan to MSR.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My wife and I plan to make this our first club event to attend. Although, we've decided to not track our car with 7 year old run flats. We're looking forward to meeting the club and the caravan to MSR.

Wow:omg:.You shouldn't even be driving the car with 7 yr old tires, very dangerous. Vipers and old tires do NOT mix. Even if the tread looks good, the rubber is not. Lots of threads on this site to support that.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow:omg:.You shouldn't even be driving the car with 7 yr old tires, very dangerous. Vipers and old tires do NOT mix. Even if the tread looks good, the rubber is not. Lots of threads on this site to support that.

You're correct but the darn thing is soooo much fun to drive :drive: We have been extremely careful while driving and have avoided wet streets, thanks to the advise available on this forum to always respect the torque, we have not had any problems yet. PS2's are first on the list as disposable income frees up. :(

We have noticed a substantial increase in HP and torque over our previously owned, standard transmission car a 1986 Ford 1.8 Liter. ****** :D

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually a blow out is a distinct possibility...on old tires, keep your speed in check

Now are the tires 7 years since they were made or are they the original tires that came with your car (are possibly 8 years or more in age)?

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually a blow out is a distinct possibility...on old tires, keep your speed in check

Now are the tires 7 years since they were made or are they the original tires that came with your car (are possibly 8 years or more in age)?

To my knowledge the tires are factory original, we took delivery of the car (2003 SRT/10) 7/17/10 with 2,242 on the clock. I'm not even sure if the oil has ever been changed :confused:, we have just surpassed 4,100 miles as of last night, we're trying to get the garage queen polished off. A blow-out could ruin our day, are you suggesting we park it until we have new rubber, or just be extremely careful as we have :dunno: Realistically new rubber could be a month or two away....probably two :crazy2:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge the tires are factory original, we took delivery of the car (2003 SRT/10) 7/17/10 with 2,242 on the clock. I'm not even sure if the oil has ever been changed :confused:, we have just surpassed 4,100 miles as of last night, we're trying to get the garage queen polished off. A blow-out could ruin our day, are you suggesting we park it until we have new rubber, or just be extremely careful as we have :dunno: Realistically new rubber could be a month or two away....probably two :crazy2:

Do you know how to check the date code on the tires?

It will look something like this and it is only found on one side of the tire so you might have to look on the back side tire wall:

You must be registered for see images attach

In the image above, "3902" reads "39th week of the year 2002" as the tire's date of manufacture.

If it is over 8 years I would be very concerned, it might be 'ok' but just be careful and don't push them (reduce agressive driving to a bare minimum and keep speed uner 70MPH to keep centripetal force to a minimum (which serves to stretch the tire).

As for the lack of an oil change, well, how much do you value your Viper's engine? I think you should get that gummy old stuff out of there pronto. Old oil has a reduced ability to properly lubricate and that's not good!

Here's an article on that:

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

see the "Black Death for the 21st Century" section

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Yellow, I appreciate the information and input. I am truly a novice at this, prior to purchasing our Viper in July, I had never even stood by one, or heard one running. I will definitely heed your advice and also check the Mfg. date on the tires this evening. I'm glad we've had this conversation, as I have touched triple digits a few times.

Originally, our plan of attack was:
All fluids changed (Tomball Dodge)
Clear Bra
Tires

Maybe it should be:
All fluids changed (Tomball Dodge)
Tires
Clear Bra

Or, just park it until we can get the fluids changed and new tires......this wouldn't be much fun, but it beats unwrapping the car from a local tree! I don't want to be the author of a "I should have gotten tires first thread?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem Slithr, glad to help.

Definitely Clear Bra last in that priority list.

and you don't want to be "that guy" whose (fill in the blank) tranny, rear diff, clutch, motor, ball joints "broke" due to poor lubrication! And flush out the brake fluid too, old stuff doesn't help you stop as well.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
We have been extremely careful while driving :(
:D[/FONT][/COLOR]

So, just so I understand...you don't know if the oil has ever been changed, your on 7 yr old tires, and you've been over 100 mph in the car...

Respect your Snake and it's abilities and it will reward you with one of the best car ownership experiences ever.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, just so I understand...you don't know if the oil has ever been changed, your on 7 yr old tires, and you've been over 100 mph in the car...

Respect your Snake and it's abilities and it will reward you with one of the best car ownership experiences ever.

Shooter, I guess you busted me. The words extremely careful and touched triple digits probably shouldn't be in the same post. I don't think it is a lack of respect for the car, maybe I just bought my dream car a little earlier than my wallet allowed me to do properly. I have no reason to doubt the original owner didn't change fluids and maintain the car correctly, I just don't have any documentation showing this. Following the much appreciated advice I've received, I now realize that I have been living on the edge....at best. This thread has been an eye opener. Thank all of you very much!

I have never owned a car with this much power, and it is difficult to not want to feel it occasionally. My fun needs to be curtailed before this becomes a death wish though.

Alan

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow, it looks like we're running 1803's with 4,100 miles on them :nono: We have learned a lot today and have a better appreciation of the next steps required immediately. We would like to participate in the caravan to the track and back (approx. 40 miles), but will then park it until the proper maintenance can be performed. I already have the phone numbers to Tomball Dodge and JonB ;)

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 5

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Slithr,

Time to retire those tires. Given that the prior owner hardly drove the car, didn't update the tires, who knows what else they did or didn't do. Good move to flush all fluids as well.

Glad to be of assistance, welcome to the VCA!

BTW, Tomball = great for service; JonB = great deals on everything Viper

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I have never owned a car with this much power, and it is difficult to not want to feel it occasionally. My fun needs to be curtailed before this becomes a death wish though.

Alan

Once you get an oil change and some new tires, the best place to learn what that badboy is capable of is on the track with an instructor. Trust me, you will see your limits long before the car's. As a matter of fact, you have a SERIOUSLY fast and skilled driver going to MSR with you. See if you can get a ride with Tim(F8L SNK). You will get to see what a Viper can do.

Our Vipers rock, Hope you have fun:2tu:

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was the best day I have had in a looong time. Thanks to the guys of the Houston Viper Club who arranged this for us and thanks also to the staff at MSR.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper