what should it cost?

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Doug Levin Motorsports in Broward county (south florida), asking what it should cost to throw in 3.55 gears out back and have it calibrated. Since I'm a pre-med student I don't have the time to do it myself, nor the know how to be honest. To get to the point, they told me it would cost about $1600 to do the work. I have no prior knowledge since I never managed to install gear in my mustang (not to compare the stang to the viper) of what it should cost. they also mentioned something about removing the exhaust in order to do the work. anyone know if that sounds right or are they trying hustle me? I hear they do good work but still does'nt hurt to consult the forum.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure as i never had that done, but id trust anything doug told me and i have....

i dropped off a car with a busted engine, no quote for work and I told him not to kill me and he sure didnt. his bill actually was less than i expected. doug is da man

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea I have heard on a number of occasions that they are a good shop. I also heard they are on the expensive end. But that is what happens when you're shop is the best. It just sounds a little much for gears, but then again, I don't know as much as I would like about the viper mechanically.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant speak for his pricing other than what he has charged me personally. his work is top notch and prices were more than fair for me.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not anymore expensive than anyone in your area, but it will be done right. That is worth price alone, and Doug will do it correctly.

The option of saving a few bucks ( and the price is pretty much right in line ) is you will likely have someone using you as a guinea pig to do the job.

Save yourself the effort and take it to someone who works on these machines often -- Doug is a square shooter.:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THE YEAR MATTERS ! You did not say the year of your car, and your enthusiast profile is blank. You also said "throw it in"....does that mean YOUR parts? Better be P+L...!!

So I dont know how anyone can accurately compare quotes....If we ASSume you posted in the correct forum, you are about $200 higher than "out West" would be for PARTS + LABOR, but Trusting your installer? "Priceless"

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a '98 GTS but if that is a fair price then I guess my next question should be should I just do the exhaust at the same time then? I assume it will save some on labor.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You would need a speed calibration box too for correct speedo readings.I got mine from JonB [ at the time he told me it was his last one ,so you better check with him ] for my 4.10 gears.
$1600 sounds a bit high without the calibration box ,but labour costs varies from place to place.:eater:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Doug Levin Motorsports in Broward county (south florida), asking what it should cost to throw in 3.55 gears out back and have it calibrated. Since I'm a pre-med student I don't have the time to do it myself, nor the know how to be honest. To get to the point, they told me it would cost about $1600 to do the work. I have no prior knowledge since I never managed to install gear in my mustang (not to compare the stang to the viper) of what it should cost. they also mentioned something about removing the exhaust in order to do the work. anyone know if that sounds right or are they trying hustle me? I hear they do good work but still does'nt hurt to consult the forum.

costed me 576.00 to install the 3:55 gears here at the Dodge dealership. A world of difference too! $1600. Sounds like a lot just to install gears to me but maybe i just got lucky ...Good luck!

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think the $576 is Labor. Apples
I think the original post was Parts+ Labor G2. Oranges

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1600 to R&R the diff, install a new gear set etc, does not sound that bad. Most of the qoutes I've either seen or personally requested were less than that for cash and carry gear swaps including parts. It is a bit of a job to get the thing out so add some labor back in it is not outrageous sounding to me. Heck, I spent $4100 on mine and had to put it in myself :rolaugh: