bypass valve vs blow off valve...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking into putting the procharger race blow off valve on my paxton setup...I can't seem to understand the difference between the BOV and BPV. I know they serve different purpose...

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
There's not really a difference between the two. A bypass valve is pretty much a recirculated blow off valve that directs the unused air charge back into the intake tract instead of to the atmosphere. It's critical to run a bypass setup in vehicles that use mass air flow meters, but since our cars use MAP sensors then you can just vent yours to the atmosphere....although I would probably vent into a catch can instead of just leaving it open.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I would have no performance issues if I just bolt the procharger race BOV in place of the Paxton BPV...is anyone running a procharger race BOV on their Paxton setup? Any clearance issues?

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So I would have no performance issues if I just bolt the procharger race BOV in place of the Paxton BPV...is anyone running a procharger race BOV on their Paxton setup? Any clearance issues?
I'm curious as to the difference between their race valve and the standard issue kit valve. I personally wouldn't change it if it does not leak and vents correctly...unless you're going for max effort boost levels.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the difference between their race valve and the standard issue kit valve. I personally wouldn't change it if it does not leak and vents correctly...unless you're going for max effort boost levels.

I m after the sound, I had it on my cobra and it sounded wicked...

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the procharger race blow off valve on my paxton. Had it installed for a few months. When I first put it on it was loud. Now, I can not hear it. I think I just got used to it. ha If you do get the procharger it is a tight fit.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the procharger race blow off valve on my paxton. Had it installed for a few months. When I first put it on it was loud. Now, I can not hear it. I think I just got used to it. ha If you do get the procharger it is a tight fit.

Did it bolt right on where the paxton bypass valve goes or did you have to weld it on? Any pics?

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BOV will create a rich a/f between shifts. But if you're tuned for the BOV, it can be tuned out.

Nick

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boostalmighty has my old one...i gave it to him a couple years ago.

i was told no HP change at all, just sound. i run the OEM paxton one on mine due to clearance issues. but mine is not OEM

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boostalmighty has my old one...i gave it to him a couple years ago.

i was told no HP change at all, just sound. i run the OEM paxton one on mine due to clearance issues. but mine is not OEM

Your Paxton cooler is not oem? Did u have clearance issue with the prochrager one? It looks massive compared to oem Paxton bpv...

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bypass valves are designed to flutter at idle and low RPM to eliminate back pressure to the supercharger impeller. Since the crank is driving the blower if you have a BOV and using the suggested spring for your idle vacuum pressure, it is closed at idle. Since the air has no way to escape and the headunit is being forced to spin by the crank it can create back pressure to the impeller and slow it down, potentially damaging the headunit. That is why people say to use a BPV instead of a BOV on supercharged applications. On my ProCharged LS car, I wasn't about to spend twice the money on ProCharger race bypass, so I bought a TiAL 50mm BOV and just put a lighter spring in it (6lbs). This way it fluttered and stayed open at idle, not slowing down the impeller, and it looked cooler. Here is what my setup was:

You must be registered for see images attach

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kingsnake, what are the specs on that engine ? looks sweet.
whats the story on the valve covers ?

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to make several more mods this winter.
I'm dumping the vec2 for a AEM, just got my water **** installed, and changing the 1 5/8th headers to 1 3/4 while deleting the cats. aiming for the 850wrhp mark.

Valve covers are stainless steel hex bolts with rubber washers and lock nuts. I wanted to give it a diffrent look. Deleted the air water went with a air to air and a Tial Q BOV works great.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the VC's.
AEM and headers will get you there for sure.

built motor ? fuel system ?

i went the opposite, i went air/air to air/water.

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twin in tank pumps by PBJ. Head work also on the winter list but not sure on who yet Greg good maybe but thats all i know is greg.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BOV do sound awesome. If I had boost I would have the loudest BOV I could get and have it mounted where it would shoot right out a hood vent so EVERYONE could hear it:D

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kinda numbers are you guys putting down with these wild setups?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R