How old are Tires

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 2000 RT/10 & only has 7,900 miles on it, I've been told their the original tires & I've been told their not the original tires, how can I tell for sure. If they have 7,900 miles on them I would think they would have a good bit of wear, but they look like their pretty new. Maybe somebody can clarify this for me. I've heard they have a date on them, where is it. They are Michelins. Thanks

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. It is stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about taking a clear picture of the tire and posting it here so we can help you determine the age?

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Guys, had to look on the other tire, first one did not have the DOT, but it is 2000 so no wonder why the car was so squirrely when I goosed it just a lil' bit. These tires are 10 years old & look brand new, so I guess I just need to buy some new ones & use these for spares. Sorry for the dumb questions.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Guys, had to look on the other tire, first one did not have the DOT, but it is 2000 so no wonder why the car was so squirrely when I goosed it just a lil' bit. These tires are 10 years old & look brand new, so I guess I just need to buy some new ones & use these for spares. Sorry for the dumb questions.

It's no dumb questions and old, rock hard tires are a death trap. I changed mine over to PS2's and WOW what an incredible difference they make. Be safe.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no dumb questions and old, rock hard tires are a death trap. I changed mine over to PS2's and WOW what an incredible difference they make. Be safe.

Well I tell you I've only got on the gas once & it went almost sideways, but I did it when no other cars were around just in case this happened. But now it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that this car is not as bad as I thought it was to drive, cause I really thought to myself there is no way you can get on this car & control it. So the new tires really make that much difference, what seems to be the popular brand. Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

So NOT a dumb question, but a smart one. The # 1 reason Vipers wreck is lack-of-traction / driver error. DANGEROUS to have so much HP and TQ running thru hockey-puck hard wagon-wheel rubber. Cornering is a sliding exercise if you get in an evasive-emergency. DITCH the hard rubber before they Ditch you.

DRAMATIC improvements inhandling, braking, ride, and watershed are experienced by those who choose Michelin PS-2 tires......

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love PS2 I went from 10 year old (New) tires to PS2 and it was like a different car!!Although I miss those hard rubber tires as entering the highway sideways is always fun.Try Viper Parts of America great prices on new tires with manufacturer prices just a few months old!!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Tator installed my PS2's....the drive home from his shop was a life changing experience for me. I did things on those tires I never thought were possible. They stick incredibly well.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to try Nitto Invos for my next tires.

Glad you looked at the date mattdillon ;)

Me Too, These Tires would have probably got me wraped around a tree or worse. Thats why I waited to make sure no other cars were around & my son not in car (cause I've heard of these cars getting away from you so easy) At least now I know it won't be as bad once I get those new tires. I was thinkin there was NO WAY these cars could run with a Porsche in the twists & turns now it may change my thinkin a lil'. I have a Porsche is why I was thinkin that cause I know how easy it is to drive.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pictures and info...

Original front rubber on my 2001 RT/10...the 289 tells me that this tire was manufactured the 28th week of 1999 (July-ish 1999), the small triangle to the right of the number also tells me that it was manufactured during the 9th decade (1990s) ...

You must be registered for see images

Original rear rubber on my 2001 RT/10...the 3900 tells me that this tire was manufactured the 39th week of 2000 (October-ish 2000)...

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but when I USED to go buy tires, I thought they were brand new tires, I guess cause they just came off the rack. Little did I know a lil' o tire had so much info & history right there on it. Are all tires like this on any car, does it make that much difference or just because of the type of car it is.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all tires like this on any car, does it make that much difference or just because of the type of car it is.

Most people recognize the degradation in performance when the rubber on their windshield wipers gets old and hard.

When the same thing happens to tires, because the process is very slow, most people don't notice, and it isn't until they get in an emergency situation where the difference between old and new becomes painfully obvious.

Tromping on the gas in a Viper with old tires puts you in that low traction condition that a Civic driver only gets to see in a panic stop.

The problem exists on all cars; but, Viper owners usually buy the car to experience max performance, and need the tires to match the car's potential.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I thought HRSSSSS had original rubber by the way it handled. Now I know it does and will get PS2's by spring. HSSSSSS has PS2's already and there is no comparison in handling.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only do you get better traction with new tires, but the resistance to hydroplanning goes way up with the newer tread designs.

When you go to a race track, you can really smell all the fresh new rubber stacked up in the pits, ready to go on during the scheduled tire changes. No old (use it up) rubber here.

Viper will also ride smoother, and much quieter on fresh rubber.

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a new set of Michelin PS2's for my 1999 RT-10 from Tire Rack and the cost was $1383. I also got a $70 money card from Michelin for buying 4 tires. That wound up being $1313 with no sales tax and $77 shipping to Washington state. I am anxious to get them mounted as my old rubber was from 2000.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I got a set of BFG's for the front of my Viper, only 280.00 my cost, and I bought a set of PS2's for the rear and got them for only 740.00 shipped. I'm very happy with both tires!

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just tickeld to death to know my car won't go sideways every time I get on it. And if new tires make it ride better too, thats just icing on the cake. Thanks Guys!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are a new owner do not assume that new tires will give you immunity from getting in trouble at this time of year. Tire TEMPERATURE ia also critical with these cars and spring and fall is always when we hear about unexplainable loss of control accidents, even on brand new cars.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could really wear 'em out. :omg:

You must be registered for see images attach

Original XGT from my '94

Yeah, it was a track tire..for those who wonder about the strange wear... Positive camber and a bit of toe.

Last edited: