Price question for prospective owner

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sold my 2006 Corvette convertible and I am in the process of looking at a 2005 SRT 10. My concern is there is very little to go on to figure out prices. I am not looking for the best price, but the best car for a fair price. I found a red 05 with 4800 miles at a Dodge dealer. It looks as expected like new. They will not go below 48k on the car. I have been looking at it for a couple weeks.

What I see on autotrader is a lot of cars for similar price--none of which seem to sell. However, all the other cars seem to have more mileage than this one.

Is this grossly over paying or is this a pretty fair amount?

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I see them on ebay but none are selling and no one is lowering the price.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices are all over the board, but that one does seem a lil' high. Just be patient & I promise you'll find what your looking for. Do you have a certain color, with or without mods or just a good, clean car with low miles. Good Luck!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an 05 Copperhead for sale by an member on this board that looked like a great deal to me at 40k. I'm not at all biased... but the Copperhead is a special edition in 2005 and is the most desireable car to get from that year. (again, compleatly unbiased opinion. :) ) Actually ****** me off he is selling it so cheaply. :(

Just a side note, I do not know the above mentioned member or the car. You should always examine the car for yourself.

2005 Dodge Viper (copperhead #133) - ViperClub Classifieds

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices are all over the board, but that one does seem a lil' high. Just be patient & I promise you'll find what your looking for. Do you have a certain color, with or without mods or just a good, clean car with low miles. Good Luck!

I like that generation of car because I've been told it is easier to mod. I'd prefer a super low mile clean car that I can mod myself. Color isn't important at all, and in fact, I don't really care much for that red. I like that generation better in black, but I am willing to put color choice aside for a super clean ride.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an 05 Copperhead for sale by an member on this board that looked like a great deal to me at 40k. I'm not at all biased... but the Copperhead is a special edition in 2005 and is the most desireable car to get from that year. (again, compleatly unbiased opinion. :) ) Actually ****** me off he is selling it so cheaply. :(

Just a side note, I do not know the above mentioned member or the car. You should always examine the car for yourself.

2005 Dodge Viper (copperhead #133) - ViperClub Classifieds

I'll look it over, according to the listing it is 11 miles from my house. My brother had a copperhead so I've seen them up close and they are very cool.

Thanks.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pass on that ugly one. the one in wayne, nj is a seller id do business with personally. paul is a good guy and a car nut.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pass on that ugly one. the one in wayne, nj is a seller id do business with personally. paul is a good guy and a car nut.

No doubt. I'd have to put a lot of dough into a repaint. The copperhead has 13,300 miles. Is that a lot in viper value speak? It's only about 2600 miles per year and I'll probably drive it at the same rate. I really want a clean platform to mod up a bit.

I've also been told that this generation of cars is easier (read cheaper) to do engine mods? Is that so?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a red 05 with 4800 miles at a Dodge dealer. It looks as expected like new. They will not go below 48k on the car.
What I see on autotrader is a lot of cars for similar price--none of which seem to sell. However, all the other cars seem to have more mileage than this one.

Is this grossly over paying or is this a pretty fair amount?

The copperhead has 13,300 miles. Is that a lot in viper value speak? It's only about 2600 miles per year and I'll probably drive it at the same rate. I really want a clean platform to mod up a bit.

IMHO, You have to pay quite a premium on cars with under 5k miles. A car with more "reasonable" miles (like 13k) has no more mechanical wear and tear than the 5k car and it usually goes for a much more reasonable price, and you don't end up with the nagging feeling that you are devaluing the car every time you drive it for a long trip.

As long as the cosmetics meet your standards, I'd say that the miles are meaningless other than that they set the price.

I think that the depreciation rate will be higher on the low mile car if you decide that you actually want to use it for driving around.

V

Venomiss

Try and touch base with some local VCA NJ group here if you haven't seen this before.

NJ Viper Club

They might be able to help you and know background of the viper you are looking at too.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, You have to pay quite a premium on cars with under 5k miles. A car with more "reasonable" miles (like 13k) has no more mechanical wear and tear than the 5k car and it usually goes for a much more reasonable price, and you don't end up with the nagging feeling that you are devaluing the car every time you drive it for a long trip.

As long as the cosmetics meet your standards, I'd say that the miles are meaningless other than that they set the price.

I think that the depreciation rate will be higher on the low mile car if you decide that you actually want to use it for driving around.

These are good point but to be honest it won't be anywhere near a DD. I just sold my 06 Corvette with 5400 miles. I just want this for cruise time and perhaps some track time (if I could learn how to drive! :) ).

In three years this will probably be 17,000 mile car--which is pretty low. And given that it will sell for about 10k less than the other one at the dealer that 8k mileage is selling for more than a buck a mile--pretty pricey.

F

FrgMstr

I bought a 2005 SRT-10 in pristine condition with 16K miles on it two weekends ago for $44K is Massachusetts. Drove it back to Dallas. Man was that fun.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 SRT-10 in pristine condition with 16K miles on it two weekends ago for $44K is Massachusetts. Drove it back to Dallas. Man was that fun.

And don't you just enjoy driving it in this crap weather we're having?
Welcome aboard and please join the club (VCA)!

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to look at the copper head mentioned above Saturday. It is right by my house and I guess 13.3k miles good for 40k car. And it's a #133 of 300.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Copperhead is super clean. My only concern is the mileage, is that considered high in the viper world for an 05 car? I know mechanically the car won't have any issues at all but just want to understand the price / value part. I won't run many miles on the car, certainly winter is coming so I won't put any on for a while, but even my vette had 5k miles after 4 years.

I like the Gen III cars because I do believe I'll do some engine mods and I've heard it is rough on the new cars with the cam-in-cam design.

Thoughts on the price would be appreciated, I'm a complete newb in snake land.

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the mileage on the Copperhead is avg to low avg. Most of us on here drive our cars. I just sold my 06 coupe with 15k miles. If the price is right, you love the color and it is mechanically sound/super clean, I'd say get it

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make a lot of sense Pete, let's see if we can get it.

OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick side ask and maybe I should make another thread. What exhaust does everyone recommend to reduce the heat? I know the stockers are copper and conduct a ton of heat up into the cabin and body work that encloses it. Is there a way to get a stainless exhaust, wrap and reduce the heat problem?

V

Venomiss

Just a quick side ask and maybe I should make another thread. What exhaust does everyone recommend to reduce the heat? I know the stockers are copper and conduct a ton of heat up into the cabin and body work that encloses it. Is there a way to get a stainless exhaust, wrap and reduce the heat problem?

Try the search feature for that subject and you will come up with many threads devoted to exhaust-some with photos too.

Eliminate the crossover behind the seats reduces the heat dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

zer0t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks venomiss. I really love the car, but my brother, a former owner, is trying to talk me out of it like the car is undriveable. I know it's a brute but I really love it, it a lot more than my vette.

thanks,
Rob

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion is the Corsa exhaust. It doesn't get too loud, makes the sound much better and the heat is MUCH less. But just use the search feature and you'll find tons of threads. The Viper is like NOTHING you have ever driven. Greatest car, I've ever owned. If you want a car to drive like a sofa, and give you no feed back then don't get a Viper. If you want a real drivers car, then there is only one Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62