If your doing a timing cover gasket>>(semi write up)

2000acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a fricken toruqre wrench- I did it by hand a month ago and tightened them on the light side to avoid damaging the aluminum- It was too ight and becasue of that the gasket broke on me :(

Now I'm re-doing the damn thing with a torque wrench- On the bright side I was able to get everything off in 45 min this time..lol practice makes perfect-

heres the steps-

1) remove airbox
2) remove metal diagnal cross member
3) drain oil
4) remove 4 bolts on front bottom of oil pan
5) remove oil filter adapter 4 bolts(DO NOT REMOVE OIL LINES)
6) losen half way the rest of the oil pan bolts so the pan drops 1 inch-
7)remove water pump pully/ bolts
8) remove water pump /bolts
9)remove alternator
10)remove crank pully(hex bolts)
11)remove crank bolt- 31mm shorty socket

12)remove harmonic balancer with a puller- you may need slightly longs bolts that u can get at Ace hardware-(PUT THE CRANK BOLT BACK IN BEFORE YOU DO THIS- FOR THE PULLER ROD TO PUSH AGAINST)

13) losen the 2 long bolts on the bottom drivers side thing attacjed to the timing cover- pull them out over half way.

14)remove the cam position sensor- you juts need to losen the 1 bolt a bit and it pulls out- (BEFORE YOU PULL IT OUT MARK WITH A PEN EXACTLY WHERE ITS BOLTED IN- IF YOU RE INSTALL IT TOO FAR IN IT WILL SHEAR THE TIP OFF AND YOULL NEED A NEW ONE AND TO REMOVE THE CRAP)

15) remove the 14mm timing cover bolts/timing cover-

16) carfully remove the timing cover

17) if you add a checmical solvent or gobs of silicone it will help you remove the old gasket easier- remove gasket-

18) when you re-install- replace the water pump gasket-oil adapter gasket-- and front crank seal-

19) do not put the crank seal on the timing cover until after you re install the timing cover- crank seal gos on last.

20) USE A TORQUE WRENCH ON ALL THE BOLTS YOUR REINSTALLING- CHECK THE CORRECT FT /LBS

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need as much info as possible please, and if you have taken any pics that would be good too.

I have a coolant leak from the front right hand side of the engine somewhere near the oil lines, around the timing cover area :( I pulled up in a petrol station the other day to see a small amount of steam coming out of the RH hood vent. The leak is not massive, but it looks like I'm going to have to do the job myself :( There's no one near me who I would trust to do the job.

Mark
:uk:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need as much info as possible please, and if you have taken any pics that would be good too.

I have a coolant leak from the front right hand side of the engine somewhere near the oil lines, around the timing cover area :( I pulled up in a petrol station the other day to see a small amount of steam coming out of the RH hood vent. The leak is not massive, but it looks like I'm going to have to do the job myself :( There's no one near me who I would trust to do the job.

Mark
:uk:
There are 2 coolant hoses going into the cover there, I'm sure its just one of them cracked/loose.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to tell, there's so much stuff in the way, I will have to perform some kind of strip down to pin point it. At first I thought it might have been the thermostat gasket and fluid leaking down vapourising on the engine block, bit now I'm not so sure :dunno:

Do you guys leave the hood in place when attempting this repair, or do you remove it?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to tell, there's so much stuff in the way, I will have to perform some kind of strip down to pin point it. At first I thought it might have been the thermostat gasket and fluid leaking down vapourising on the engine block, bit now I'm not so sure :dunno:

Do you guys leave the hood in place when attempting this repair, or do you remove it?

The hood is sooooo easy to remove and install I don't know why anyone would attempt this with it on the car.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood Off.

There is no risk of missaligning it as the adjustment is in the bracket/hinge thing, Not at the point where it connects to the hood.

Do not drive your viper anymore. U are lucky if it is only leaking coolant externaly. When/If the gasket fails on the inside loop it will cause much coolant to blow through into your oil and Boom:panic:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood Off.

There is no risk of missaligning it as the adjustment is in the bracket/hinge thing, Not at the point where it connects to the hood.

Do not drive your viper anymore. U are lucky if it is only leaking coolant externaly. When/If the gasket fails on the inside loop it will cause much coolant to blow through into your oil and Boom:panic:
Thanks, Oils Fine :2tu: But due a change now ;)

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had my hood off. It made access to the front of the motor so much easier. No issues about getting it back on right. There are only 4 nuts to remove and they are not part of the alignment. It is a 2 man job though. The hood isn't all that heavy but you need two people for positioning.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
several years back my water pump gasket went out and dumped all the coolant into the crank case. Luckey there was no damage as all the bearoings were inspected and I have put several thousand miles on since.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: Thanks guys, that's made me feel a whole lot better, I think I might venture out into the garage this evening but its rather cold here, I will have to get the heaters working ;)

OP
OP

2000acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your water pump gastet or timing cover gasket gos out-

1) remove the hood for the job- there is no alignment- just 4 bolts-

2) put new oil in when you refill the oil- you should drain it anyways when losening the oil pan bolts- its cheap insurance to *** new oil in..especially if you dont know if coolant got into the oil when the gasket went out- put new oil in.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, im going to drop the sump pan and give it a good clean out too, change filter etc and see if I can flush out the rad too using a hose pipe :)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well started to get into this last night, What a job getting the cross member out, over 2 hrs trying to jiggle the thing out, also had to cut some of the inner wheel arch out around where the bolt goes into the cross member (I could undo the bolt but not push it out of the way, seemed someone at the factory did not align the inner fender properly trapping the bolt ;)

After having removed the cross member, I removed the belt and generator. Trying to work out how to disconnect the dam connector took another 1/2 hr :( Easy when you know how but the manual does not tell you how :( Once the generator was out of the way I found my leak! Its the timing cover gasket, leaking just below the top left hand bolt (as your looking at the engine from the front). Next job will be removing the pulley and damper!

The leaking coolant has oxidised on the engine making a hell of a mess :( Any ideas what is the best way to get the block and oil lines looking like new again? I don't want to use anything too acidic in case it damages the plating

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Well started to get into this last night, What a job getting the cross member out, over 2 hrs trying to jiggle the thing out, also had to cut some of the inner wheel arch out around where the bolt goes into the cross member (I could undo the bolt but not push it out of the way, seemed someone at the factory did not align the inner fender properly trapping the bolt ;)"

The crossmember comes out and installs quite easily if you get the weight of the car off the front wheels. This is because the crossmember is in compression. Letting the wheels hang on the suspension opens up the area at the ends of the crossmember. No cutting required.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the weight of the wheels with the car being supported by the front lower cross member, I had a heck of a time moving the upper cross member out of the way to replace the water pump. Never did get it fully out the car.
I feel your pain Mark!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the car was suspended using Axel stands on the main chassis near the front wishbones, the problem was the large rivets that were holding the inner wheel arch, positioned just above the cross member, but a bit of prying and knocking with a rubber mallet did the trick ;)

As for the 'generator'....That's what its called in the OEM Workshop manual ;) We call it an Alternator :)

garyd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replaced mine this past summer with the x member in place. It made it more difficult for sure but it can be done. Had to remove the pass. side bolts and move it forward about 1/4" to get the water pump in. Take your time and pay attention to detail and you will be OK. Remember VCA and Google are your friends.
Follow link to pics: Pictures by TheDogg_2010 - Photobucket

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo link :2tu:
I wish I had known how that connector to the alternator came apart, I damaged mine in the process of trying to get it apart so will be using a small cable tie to hold it back together ;)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot the leak :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images

So after removing a few bits and bobs, I'm at this stage now :)

Found a place for the hood :D

Spent over a day cleaning the old gasket material off the various faces :( Bloody hard to get off :(

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just posted this up on the uk viper site.

Hope it helpes,

So attempting this job the first thing was where to put the bonnet?
Rear wings come in handy

Next job was to remove the engine cross-member, the fiberglass inner wheel fender had to be slightly cut to enable me to remove the bolt!

Once the cross-member was out of the way I could start taking off the Alternator and other bits.

If you look just behind the alternator bracket you can see where the coolant was leaking!

Crankshaft pulley removed. This is attached to the crankshaft damper.

That rusty horrid thing is the crankshaft damper :crazy2:

So having drained the old coolant, removing rad hoses, dropping oil pan and removed the timing cover, this is what your left with!

A good clean up of all parts was now required.

Timing cover removed and the task of cleaning off old gaskets begins.

New gaskets supplied by the 'Wizard' and for good measure I also used some gasket sealant as there was some pitting on the engine face around where the coolant leak had been.

Timing cover back on.

Next job Crankshaft oil seal!

I found a suitable sleeve to put around the front edge of the oil seal and carefully knocked it into place with a hammer.

Here's what you should end up with.

I did not like the asthetic look of the old crankshaft damper, so I rubber it down with Emery paper and sprayed it with Hammerite smooth gloss black paint.

You can see the damper in this pic (behind Dave's Big Brakes under drive pulley)
Note also the new water pump pulley and idler wheel.

Then the technical hitch with the new Idler wheel!

That little bit of thread was attempting to hold the new idler wheel and upon torquing the bolt it fractured! ( Should have used a longer bolt):brick:

So off to a machine shop where they made me a spacer, supplied me with a thread cutting tool and the repair now looks like this

One other thing, if you do decide to change your pulleys, there are various different length drive belt specs!! I ended up getting a bit of string, putting around the pulleys and measure the length. I ended up with a seven rib belt from Euro Car parts.

Hope this is helpful
Cheers
Mark :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acmeinfolabs