What is a good quality HID kit to purchase?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a cheaper kit off of ebay (xentec) b/c of the positive feedback but mine "flicker" bad and am having to pull them and send them back. After an extensive search I realize that this is an issue with this manufacturer. Is there a decent kit out there that you don't have to spend a fortune on that is decent quality? TIA!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My limited experience has been with the SharpHID slim ballast kit. No problems, easy to install and no flicker. They just released a mid-size ballast kit which I'm going to purchase and move my current kit down to the fog-lights. They come with a lifetime warranty but for $49...who cares.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's them. Google the name. I believe Bottlefed also installed these in his GTS and created the installation instructions for the Viper (available on their site).

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cfiiman I have the same brand as you, now that you mention it I remember noticing flickering when out of my car and close up to the headlight however when driving I do not notice it, I install the same brand in my DD and i do not have this issue, I wonder if it is possibly viper related, maybe the headlights have voltage regulation problems :dunno:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems to be a pretty common problem with the xentecs I'm going with the sharps and we'll see thanks again!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Madduc, thanks for that link, yeah that is the manufacturer selling it below the sharp cost, think I'll go direct with them...

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I love McCulloch HID kits.. Still run the original kit i bought 9 years ago when i was in highschool.. They are getting reasonably priced now also. Some friends opted for the cheap kits and have always had problems.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the Sharp site and the DDMTuning site. The 55W DDM (slim ballast) set is $50 on the DDM site and $59 on the SharpHid site. Looks to be the same kit. I've read the differences between 35W and 55W and am leaning towards 55W for my low beams. Any input on that? I know they are a little hotter than the 35W bulbs, but is that an issue with either the housing or the wiring?

Any advice from someone that has already gone to HID for the low beams? Also, if you did it, does it end up going in as easy as advertised or am I going to need the battery wiring to carry the load?

XtraTQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On DDM Tuning, there is an option for a "Dual In, Dual Out" HID Harness ($12.50). Is this needed for install in a '98 GTS?

Thanks!

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I checked the Sharp site and the DDMTuning site. The 55W DDM (slim ballast) set is $50 on the DDM site and $59 on the SharpHid site. Looks to be the same kit. I've read the differences between 35W and 55W and am leaning towards 55W for my low beams. Any input on that? I know they are a little hotter than the 35W bulbs, but is that an issue with either the housing or the wiring?

Any advice from someone that has already gone to HID for the low beams? Also, if you did it, does it end up going in as easy as advertised or am I going to need the battery wiring to carry the load?

I have the Zentecs also...they have a very minor flicker, but it's enough to annoy me and I'm considering the above mentioned.

I read that the problem with the flickering is with the conflict of running a 35w bulb...Solution was way above my head, but they recommended a capacitor be installed or an antiflicker unit (Which is a capacitor built into a nifty little harness) Would it be better to go with the 55w since the stock lights in my '02 RT are 55w?

I have never had any error codes from my lights, just that annoying flicker...lights look like they are moving around...I only notice it while I'm driving and really can't see it when I get out to look at them.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^^ This was an old thread of mine, and I did go with the DDM mini's and they are OUTSTANDING, the other kit I had flickered and drove me nuts, the DDM's are really really nice.

XtraTQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^ This was an old thread of mine, and I did go with the DDM mini's and they are OUTSTANDING, the other kit I had flickered and drove me nuts, the DDM's are really really nice.

For the fogs, did you go with the 35W or 55W kit?

Also, did you need the HID Harness (for an extra $12.50) for either the headlights or fogs?

Thanks!

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm sold! Thanks Brother! Did you go with the 55w or 35w? Did you need any extra harnesses or did you just install basic kit?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it was an old thread, but obviously there are a number of us out there that could benefit from the experience of those going before us. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My limited experience has been with the SharpHID slim ballast kit. No problems, easy to install and no flicker. They just released a mid-size ballast kit which I'm going to purchase and move my current kit down to the fog-lights. They come with a lifetime warranty but for $49...who cares.

Ok, I bought these lights as recommended and I must thank you!! Saved a lot of $$$...They work fantastic! No flicker like I had with the Zentecs. Ballasts are extremely thin. For the price, they seemed extremely well made.

I went with the 35w 6000K. They are very white and very bright! Didn't have to hook up any capacitors or anti-flicker/error cancelers.

I paid $40 plus $17 for 2 day shipping and actually received them the next day. Here is a link to the website...hope this works out for others...

www.ddmtuning.com

Good luck to others!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I bought these lights as recommended and I must thank you!! Saved a lot of $$$...They work fantastic! No flicker like I had with the Zentecs. Ballasts are extremely thin. For the price, they seemed extremely well made.

I went with the 35w 6000K. They are very white and very bright! Didn't have to hook up any capacitors or anti-flicker/error cancelers.

I paid $40 plus $17 for 2 day shipping and actually received them the next day. Here is a link to the website...hope this works out for others...

www.ddmtuning.com

Good luck to others!

What about the bulb type? Does it work both with high/low beam?

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about the bulb type? Does it work both with high/low beam?

Sorry, they are low beam...9005

I haven't switched Hi-beams to HID...don't think I am going to either. When I turn on hi-beams, both the highs and lows come on...can't remember if that was normal when it was stock, but I know it's not common in other vehicles.

I am very pleased with these HIDs...Thanks again to the OP of this thread.

Last edited:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, they are low beam...

I haven't switched Hi-beams to HID...don't think I am going to either. When I turn on hi-beams, both the highs and lows come on...can't remember if that was normal when it was stock, but I know it's not common in other vehicles.

I am very pleased with these HIDs...Thanks again to the OP of this thread.

What about the bulb type option when ordering. The default is H1...not sure what would it be for the viper...

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Install was very simple. I saw an earlier post where a member cut out the fins inside the housing unit and mounted the ballasts there. Worked out great and very simple...no wiring to the battery. Simply plugs into your power plug that originally plugged into your stock lights...

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so 9005 bulbs fit for the low beams and fogs?

which ones are people taking, 35w or 55w ?

these are cheaper then buying those "xenon" light bulbs" locally

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry guys, just saw all the questions. They have been answered, but I will do it again as I am the OP on this. I bought the 35w kit, no additional harness is needed, the bulb is 9005. I think the 6000K looks the best, anything higher will look way to blue/ricer IMO. Actually the 5K may look really nice (might have to order an extra set of those). Lifetime warranty on these and they are tiny enough to fit inside your headlight housing.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted these pictures for comparo already , but here it is. The 35W setup is bright enough for me. The 55 W will create more heat obviously and I didn't want to deal with projector problems anytime soon.:eater:
Would stay under 6000K bulb because that is borderline blue and don't want any hassle from the popo. There're so many conversions out there on ricer cars that will attract a crackdown eventually.Saw one yesterday coming my way and I had to look away for a second not getting blinded. It was probably installed in a standard headlight fixture.
The low beam HID stays on when the high beam switched on ,so it's pretty bright for night driving :2tu:

First picture shows the difference between OEM halogen on right and HID 4300K on left side of the car.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the informative answers and filling us in on your experiences. The only additional piece of advice I would like to offer is that you should check your bulb rather than just believing what the manual or internet site says you have. If I remember right from early this year, my car ('01 GTS) is running 9006 bulbs in the low beam spot! I know 9006 isn't supposed to go there, but that's what the socket is set up for. Check what's there now before you order just to be sure.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the informative answers and filling us in on your experiences. The only additional piece of advice I would like to offer is that you should check your bulb rather than just believing what the manual or internet site says you have. If I remember right from early this year, my car ('01 GTS) is running 9006 bulbs in the low beam spot! I know 9006 isn't supposed to go there, but that's what the socket is set up for. Check what's there now before you order just to be sure.

Good advice, I checked both my service manual and the stock bulb and for '02 RT its a 9005 for low beam. Not sure of fogs, because I really do not care to switch those.

I will say, that I checked several internet sites and even local auto parts stores and they told me my lows were 9006...they were wrong. So definitely check.

The 6000k looks great...very white and a very very small tint of blue. 35w are very bright as mentioned above. Anything higher and the light does look more blue and visibility diminishes.

Sent my Zentecs back today...just couldn't get those to work right.