Top Gear USA

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as the show is cheap to produce, which it probably is, 500K viewers a week will keep it on the air. This should be easily obtainable for the History Channel.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great fo us Car Crazy types. Now we can watch with the kids & the wife. Kinda of like Bennie Hill meets Al Bundy ( Married with Children ) where we can laugh at the actors & watch all who are gunning to de-thrown the Viper ACR Snake :usa:

Toddy

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm going to be sticking with the UK version, as wrote previously there was no chemistry between the cast, I like the TG UK guys, they equally draws me to the show as much as the cars do, i did expect more out of the casting

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm going to be sticking with the UK version, as wrote previously there was no chemistry between the cast, I like the TG UK guys, they equally draws me to the show as much as the cars do, i did expect more out of the casting

Its hard to compare a show that just had its first episode to a show that is in full stride. The Office is a huge hit here in NY but it is a poor copy of the original British version. We like what we know. For me, I'll watch both and realize they are two different shows like CSI or Real housewives.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So we have Nascar commentator ( Rutledge Wood ), and World Champion Drifter ( Tanner Foust ) , and a actor/comedian ( Adam Ferrara ) , attempting to do a semi irreverant car show that attracts a big cross section of American motorheads. I understand the marketing, and figure I will give them a chance , as personalities on TV shows have to take time to develop -- seldom do any click 100% right from the beginning.

Cobra vs Viper -- entertaining and frankly I kept wondering how the whole city agreed to be shut down, and kudos for the producers getting that done.

ACR and the " Stig", what could we really ask for that is better than having the first time on the board being an ACR.

US shows and British shows have been criss-crossing the Atlantic for decades , so this is nothing really new and since this gives us the chance to test cars in the US, not tons of stuff we never see over here, I am all for it.

Glass half full.................................time for alot of us to realize we got some terrific press for a change and we need to envelope it, in my humble opinion, instead of knocking it.

PS - Tanner Foust ---- chat with folks that ran with him at Pahrump ( Spring Mountain ) and you will find that what he does on TV is just that , entertainment, and he really, really likes the Viper. Acting aside, I believe he had some conviction in his statements about the Snake for this show. He was not bashful in praising the ACR-X( during the Viper Cup Races ) and he definitely had fun burning the rubber to the ground in the Cobra scene.

Great to see and hear the Viper placed with the legendary AC Cobra, as well as the statement that it was the last car of it's type left in the US ! Dangerous, exciting, and American thrill ride that we all own and at this level will likely never see again.:2tu:

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the "...and when they separated they left a love child behind ..."

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad considering it opened against Giants-Eagles sunday night.

As if THAT was worth watching!

I was hoping for a bit more actual car reviewing, similar to the Brits.

All in all, I was pleased with parts and disappointed with parts. I guess it will take some time, but the repartee was just awful. The level of wit and articulation compared to the Brit version is simply dreadful.

I guess it will take some time...

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll admit I skimmed the previous posts, but I did not see anyone comment about Tanner's comments pertaining to the new Viper having ESP. If this was already known, I guess I missed that too. I understand ESPs purpose, but not having it surely separates the Viper from a lot of other cars.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll admit I skimmed the previous posts, but I did not see anyone comment about Tanner's comments pertaining to the new Viper having ESP. If this was already known, I guess I missed that too. I understand ESPs purpose, but not having it surely separates the Viper from a lot of other cars.

He was referring to the fact that there will never be another Viper produced without ESP. Suggesting that any new Vipers will never be the same.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad for the First program, Just watched parts of it on the Internet. Thought it lingered on the lambos for a bit too long, but a good show :2tu: What you do have to remember is that this is an entertainment show with some cars ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Chemistry takes time........ I like the planned USA settings, and the USA-Available vehicles we'll likley see. I dont care much about Opels, Peugeots, Vauxhalls and Trabants.....

I did like the recent UK-produced USA CA-UT muscle-car trio: SRT8+Vette+FordGT

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when does US-Top Gear invite Dodge CEO Raph Gilles for a chat about the Viper? I hope they can line up an ACR-X vs. a Ferrari 599xx (or whatever they call it) on that track to explain the difference between production and track cars. (I'd love to see Ralph show up in his racing suit instead of a business suit and let car guys everywhere know our CEO is f'in serious about the Viper and his involvement in making it and driving it right!)

Regards,
Aaron

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when does US-Top Gear invite Dodge CEO Raph Gilles for a chat about the Viper? I hope they can line up an ACR-X vs. a Ferrari 599xx (or whatever they call it) on that track to explain the difference between production and track cars. (I'd love to see Ralph show up in his racing suit instead of a business suit and let car guys everywhere know our CEO is f'in serious about the Viper and his involvement in making it and driving it right!)

Regards,
Aaron

The ACR-X vs 599xx would be a great shootout, I like it :2tu:

Cheers,
George

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'd be even better if Ferrari CEO Sergio and Dodge CEO Ralph drove the cars onto the set...in a mock surprise appearance.

Regards,
Aaron

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoyed the show, But twice Tanner referred to the Viper as dangerous. something to the effect of- there will never again be a car this dangerous (no esp).

Any car is dangerous if you can't drive it properly.
just didn't see the need to stress dangerous like it was an exploding pinto or something.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chemistry takes time........ I like the planned USA settings, and the USA-Available vehicles we'll likley see. I dont care much about Opels, Peugeots, Vauxhalls and Trabants.....

I did like the recent UK-produced USA CA-UT muscle-car trio: SRT8+Vette+FordGT

If that's the episode I saw where they ran the standing mile at Bonneville, it was a Cadillac CTS-V not a FGT.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I enjoyed the show, But twice Tanner referred to the Viper as dangerous. something to the effect of- there will never again be a car this dangerous (no esp).

Any car is dangerous if you can't drive it properly.
just didn't see the need to stress dangerous like it was an exploding pinto or something.

Both a cup of water and a loaded gun can kill you. Which would you consider to be more dangerous?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tanner is getting way too much air time and I am just about sick of him. First it was Supercars Exposed, then Battle of the Supercars, and now on Top Gear. Couldn't they get somebody fresher or somebody that wasn't a drifter? Paul Tracy would even have been a better choice than Tanner. The other 2 guys seemed almost randomly thrown into the show and I know little of their racing history or car experience if any. Why would anybody care about their opinion on cars?

The cast is weak but the show was put together well and very entertaining and I will program it in my DVR. It was awesome to see the $500,000 Murcielago get a SLOWER lap than the Viper ACR and the Superlegera still being .8 slower which on a short course is really a huge gap. At Nurburgring, that .8 would grow to close to a minute or more because it is a much longer road course. I agree that the lack of ESP really does add to the desireability of the Gen I,II, III,and IV Vipers. All the more reason when you get a Gen V to not trade in your current Viper.

All that being said, at least they have a version of "the Stig" comparing cars on the same track to stack up real lap time rankings. At least this track ,not being in England, will be dry more often.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that being said, at least they have a version of "the Stig" comparing cars on the same track to stack up real lap time rankings. At least this track ,not being in England, will be dry more often.

I don't want to sound cynical but we really have to trust that "the Stig" is the same person driving the cars in each episode. They could put different people in that white helmet and we would never know. The "mystery" of the identity of the driver grates on me and seems like contrived suspense.

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the original (UK) version of Top Gear. But, it was really nice to see the Viper finally get some respect and not described as American Crap with a cheap interior. I've been around the track a couple of times, and I think the Stig did pretty good in the ACR, and the Lambo for that matter. Not sure I would want to talk trash with him....if I knew his real identity. :dunno:

Had a great drive in the ACR today, and enjoyed talking with some people about the Top Gear episode. The guys at the parts store seemed blown away that the ACR beat the crap out of those high priced Italian Supercars.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tanner is getting way too much air time and I am just about sick of him. First it was Supercars Exposed, then Battle of the Supercars, and now on Top Gear. Couldn't they get somebody fresher or somebody that wasn't a drifter?
You have two choices:
- Adam Corolla
- Jimmy Johnson

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I don't want to sound cynical but we really have to trust that "the Stig" is the same person driving the cars in each episode. They could put different people in that white helmet and we would never know. The "mystery" of the identity of the driver grates on me and seems like contrived suspense.

The "Mystery" of the Stig, even though his identity was a poorly kept secret in the real world, was one of the fun things on the UK show.

Maybe when BBC finds a replacement, Ben Collins can come to the US and be the real "Stig" on the US version. I think he's a heck of a driver.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the whole show and loved that they respected the viper alot. You dont see that to much on comparison shows. It was deffintly awsome that the acr beat out all three lambos on the hot lap. But i agree with others that the cast could have been better but for the first US program i give it a thumbs up.
:2tu:

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you G-Fulm for posting the episode! Am I the only one that noticed when they first put the Cobra up in the air and it was flying above the runway directly at the camera a flock of birds passed and the last bird either got caught in the down draft and headed straight for the ground or caught the blade, check it out and you'll see it! As far as the show it was okay, the Lambo was somewhat boring and if you are gonna have a show about cars have guys that know how to drive them, Tanner mentioned twice that Rutledge short shifted the Murci, why would you do that with a car that makes its power up high in the rpm range? I owned an LP640 and the car loved shifting @ 7500-8000. The Viper was well represented, I believe Tanner was just dramatizing the show when he mentioned how scary the car could be, plus frankly it's true! Give them some time, I give this episode a C+. P.S. The bird strike is at the 5:59 mark!

Last edited:

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The thing about the European personalities is that they each have a following, and that fosters the playful rivalry the guys have on the show. I can't imagine anyone really "rooting" for any of these 3 in any car shoot-outs.
Yeah, but have you ever watched the original season of Top Gear UK? It was horrible and it took them 4 or 5 seasons to work out the chemistry between the 3 host. And of the 3, Clarkson was the only one that any one knew, the other two were pretty much unknown and new to the TV world.

For a first show first season I was plesently surprised. It was better then the first Top Gear Australia and it will be interesting to see how Top Gear US grows. My three complaints, the in car camera, especially the viper segment, were horrible. A GoPro HD has better picture quality then what they were using. Something about the main set didn't look right, the lighting or color or something, at times it almost looked like it was all green screen. And they need a news segment, that's usually a very funny spot, although the host chemistry has to be there for that to work. Again the original seasons of Top Gear UK, the news segment was a bit dry and boring.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you G-Fulm for posting the episode! Am I the only one that noticed when they first put the Cobra up in the air and it was flying above the runway directly at the camera a flock of birds passed and the last bird either got caught in the down draft and headed straight for the ground or caught the blade, check it out and you'll see it! As far as the show it was okay, the Lambo was somewhat boring and if you are gonna have a show about cars have guys that know how to drive them, Tanner mentioned twice that Rutledge short shifted the Murci, why would you do that with a car that makes its power up high in the rpm range? I owned an LP640 and the car loved shifting @ 7500-8000. The Viper was well represented, I believe Tanner was just dramatizing the show when he mentioned how scary the car could be, plus frankly it's true! Give them some time, I give this episode a C+. P.S. The bird strike is at the 5:59 mark!

I noticed that as well. Rewound it several times trying to figure out what it was.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved the show. I think the hosts are perfect - but they need to do a South America or Africa thing to get the mojo going between them.

I'll watch every episode.

For those haters, which American car show is better?

Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235