Top Gear USA

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit the show is starting to grow on me. We got to see more of the character side of the hosts in the moonshine episode.

I love the UK version and know that they are making a copy, so I see the similarities, but understand that the hosts need to grow into their own.

It's nice to see Faust who is claimed as the car/racer/know it all guy loose in battles and be put in situations that he is not used to. Ruttledge needs to stop barfing at every bump in the road though, what a whimp.

They do need to take the mold of the UK show and use their own personalities to make an American mark on the show. I don't think they should mimic the show 100%, but use the format, styling and such, just like other shows that have been brought over.

I liked the moonshine run, but I think it would be awesome if they did something totally stupid like the UK version does. Car-boat challenge, best curvy road in America challenge (i hear it's near the Montana/Wyoming boarder), best car for a 16 year old, the limo challenge in NY City, maybe something like a Southern Cali challenge with crappy cars girls in bikinis and over large surf boards.

I caught a hint of them messing with each other in the moonshine challenge. Someone took the mirrors off someones car, but they didn't show it taking place, only a comment that someone removed the mirrors. It would be fun to see a little more infighting between them.

Anyway, the 1st few shows have not sucked at least. They got a Viper on, a Lambo, Ricer and a Mustang. I bet they need to round out the session with a Ferrari and a Vette, maybe a Challenger.

I look forward to watching the shows on the History Channel Web site each week.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the show. You can't compare it to UK Top Gear, just like you can't compare The Office to the UK version. It's a different animal.

I have all the UK episodes on my computer and still watch them regularly (and even own an "I Am The Stig" t-shirt), but that doesn't mean that I can't get on board with the US version. If you want to see some really painful episodes, go back to the UK Season 1, which really wasn't even the true first season since it was a redid Top Gear from a few years prior, so they were growing on their own experience.

If it gets renewed at the end of this season, I think it'll grow with a good following and you'll see the hosts really get into their groove.

To paraphrase what another reviewer said on some blog I read, "The UK version is a comedy show that happens to be about cars. The US version is just a car show." Very true words, but that doesn't mean the US version isn't good.

Also would like to see more of the SRT lineup, and more of the new muscle car wars going on right now, Camaro, Mustang, Vette ZR1, and the tuning shops that really open these up (like the Hennessey Veloci-Raptor they had on last week).

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Top Gear USA show is a huge let down for me. Though I don't like the snide comments about American cars from the BBC version, it is way, way, way better than Top Gear USA. Of course, the Brits have no cars at all to brag about. Who can pay $250,000 for an Aston Martin or squeeze into a Lotus made for a 10 year old. When Jeremy drives the Vipers... well, if you haven't seen the episodes, go to Top Gear and watch. You'll agree BBC Top Gear is much better.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UK Christmas TG special is on tuesday night, and their back in the US :cool:

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May compare the Mercedes SLS, the Porsche 911 GT3 RS and the Ferrari 458 Italia in an epic road trip up America's east coast. Along the way they undertake a series of challenges culminating in a fight to find the fastest way into New York, all in the name of crowning the world's greatest sports car. Plus, a round up of car-related Christmas stuff and another celebrity takes to the track as the star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

BBC2 Tue 21 Dec 2010 20:00

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first I thought the show was pretty hokey with the stupid helicopter chasing the Viper. But it has grown on me somewhat. I enjoyed the Evo race against the skier even though it was corny.

Did anyone notice a guy in the crowd during the Viper episode? He looked just like Maurice Liang! I swear it was him and of course he was standing next to a *********.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i am in the minority,but i like the US version a lot more than the UK version..Sometimes the US version hosts seem a little stiff and they look like they are acting instead of just being themselves. Still,i never cared for the UK version. Too goofy imo. Hopefully Tanner and the other two will loosen up and be able to ad lib instead of just 'memorizing' their lines.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they roll one of JH's abominations out there, I'll stop watching immediately.
Well.....I watched my DVR'd episode from last week, and SADLY that will be the last show for me.

One of the featured rides was a Hennessey-abused Ford F-150 Raptor that JH calls the "Velociraptor".
$7K for a CAI, cat back, and a tune on an F-150. That's just disgusting and borders on extortion and really resembles high-seas piracy.

Enjoy the show folks.
*sigh*

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After talking with a buddy about why I'm no longer watching the show, he tells me: "Well, good thing you didn't watch the new one. Tony Hawk mentioned how he loved his JH SRT-8 Jeep."

*sigh*
Never took Tony for a sucker.