How to buy a used Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a good used Jeep Cherokee SRT8 and I’m wondering if there is anything that might be inherently weak with this model that I should pay extra attention to? Is one year better than another or offer a longer term warranty?

Why is it that every used car lot in the country has one for sale and trying to find one privately will be difficult at best? Not that I won’t go that way but I would prefer to buy used from the original owner.

Tim

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim;

You get the snow/ice and 40+ below winters in Leduc (I know because I grew up north of Lloydminister) and if you want to drive it all winter as in this will be your daily driver, the Jeep SRT8 is NOT for you. I had one here in Colorado for two winters and it was down right dangerous when the roads turned to "winter". Even with Snow/Ice tires on the factory 20s, even with the custom set of 18" Colorado Custom rims I had specially made for it with Blizzack tires, it could not handle a REAL winter. Problem is that while it states AWD, it is really just a 10% Front / 90% Rear torque distribution. That is all it is. I could somewhat handle that as I grew up in the snow/ice but it was NOT fair to have my wife drive it like that. Again, if this is your daily driver, then you will be disappointed. I am told Jeep is looking into the winter driving set-ups on the upcoming Jeep SRT8 (10?), like a cusotm winter rim and tire set-up to buy through the catelog and that would swing me back from my Cayenne Turbo S I traded the SRT8 for.

The build quality is hit and miss, some have had great experience, mine was less than great and it was a fully loaded brand new 2007. I would not buy one sight unseen.

If this is going to be your fun nice weather driver, then it should be fine for you. Mileage is extremely poor for a daily driver though. Don't expect more than 13 mpg cdn no matter what you do, hard slow, etc.

In the end, I would hold out for the 2012 Jeep SRT8 (10?) I was told, expect ability to have a hitch as rear exhaust moves out to the sides, lighter rims (better ride), addition of a 4x4 button so you can have 50F/50R type of winter traction from the electronic transfer case, etc. The build quality is already night and day better on the new Grand Cherokee and it is to incorporate MultiAir and an 8 speed auto (with paddles) which will greatly improve mpg. Personally, I would hold off for the new one as it will make the old SRT8 obsolete. I had mine for 18 months and put on 20,000 miles. Definitely learned the good and bad. Very, very fun truck to drive with lots of power and awesome exhaust note, but that is where the positives stopped. Again, I am speaking of it from a daily driver point of view. Nice days, the Viper happily gets the nod.

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great comments ColoViper. Been lurking on the JEEP SRT site for a year or so since I need a new gocery getter next year. Was reading initial comments on the 2012 recently. You hit pretty much all the hot topics quite well. Considering the 2012 as well (at least last week that's what I told the Mrs.). You just solidified that idea so I thank you.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've a lot of FUN in my 2010 SRT-8 and look forward to the snow and ice coming :D
:drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 models of the SRT8 started production on July 16, 2007. The 2008 Jeep SRT8 received a considerable refresh for the 2008 model year as follows. (The interior is much nicer than the prior year models.)

• [*]Refreshed front fascia and grille

[*]Refreshed instrument panel and interior with new Dark Slate Gray color

[*]Accent stitching added to front and rear seats and center console

[*]Armrests on front door panels enlarged and padded

[*]Cruise control stalk added to steering column

[*]EVIC buttons relocated from center stack to steering wheel

[*]Headrests integrated into rear seat

[*]Infrared electronic ignition key

[*]Interior bezels changed from silver finish to carbon fiber finish

[*]Leather-wrapped parking brake handle with chrome rings

[*]Rear DVD screen size increased from 7" to 8"

[*]Shift knob changed from having engraved Jeep logo to plain chrome top

[*]Steering wheel logo revised

[*]Available 115V Power outlet

[*]Available Heated rear seats

[*]Available MyGIG™ Multimedia Infotainment System with touch-screen navigation

[*]Available MyGIG™ Multimedia Infotainment System without navigation

[*]Available Auto-leveling High-intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps

[*]Available SIRIUS BackSeat TV™

[*]Available 568-watt SRT Kicker audio system (available starting March 2008)

[*]New color: Steel Blue Metallic Clear Coat

[*]New color: Modern Blue Clear Coat (replaces Steel Blue, March 2008)

[*]New color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat (replaces Black, January 2008)
To achieve superior on-road handling, off-road gear has been removed to make the SRT-8 lighter. The SRT-8 uses an NV146 transfer case, which uses an electronic-applied clutch pack to transfer 0-50% of torque to the front axle but has no low-range or manual controls. The front and rear differentials are both open, with no limited-slip capability.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bob;

From my real world experience though, it never even came close to a 50F/50R distribution when the roads turned really bad. I would seriously question that 0-50% rating quoted there. I know you have a Jeep SRT8 as well, but when it turned to ice with a foot of snow, it behaved like a lumber wagon. It took forever to get it to move straight and then it just plowed forward.

I took it up to SteamBoat Springs, CO for the Ice Performance Driving school, because I was always wanted to do that with a vehicle of mine . Even with the custom 18" rims, and Blizzacks, it simply did not offer any real traction or confidence. A truck with a 50F/50R should have been able to do much, much better, which is why I do not believe that 0-50% rating.

Knowing what I know of Leduc, where they will get a fresh snow on top of ice pack and then it polishes to a skating rink finish, it would be very unsafe. It was unsafe in Colorado here. On the other hand and I am not condoning a Cayenne vehicle, but doing the same thing in the Cayenne Turbo with the exact same tires, it never even moved to the side or wavered and that is not in locked differential mode or low gear mode. Total confidence. I was told the new 2012 SRT8 (10?) is suppose to be designed with that confidence in hand. To be safe, the truck really needs it. When they provide that, I will throw my hat back in the ring and trade in one of the Cayenne Turbos for it.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey ColoViper,

That is some good info and thanks.

I’m tired of trying to manoeuvre my 2004 1 Ton Cummins around the city. It’s great everywhere else except in driving in the cities and trying to find some where to park. So I thought that maybe the SRT 8 Jeep to replace it when I’m not driving the Viper. Yes the icy hi-ways can be horrible here in Canada, the same as where you’re at. I figured if I put on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded Ice Radials for the winter and with the Jeeps traction control system I would be smiling. Of course I was not aware that the SRT 8 is not a true 4 wheel drive as such.

Maybe for the time being I would be better off getting the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi? It’s down on the power with only 360 HP and 390 ft pds torque and does not have the handling package or the Brembo Brakes. But it has the 4 wheel or all wheel drive and the mileage would be a lot better. Or the Diesel Jeep is good on fuel and has 376 ft pds of Torque so there would be no shortage on torque to pass with. Or just go with the Chrysler 300 SRT8 and forget the 4 wheel drive?

I have not seen or read anything official on the 2012 Jeep SRT8.

Tim

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The specs on the Jeep SRT8 show that it was NOT built as an offroad vehicle. It was built as the performance vehicle that it is. Great straight ahead and surprisingly nimble on a road course. I would not drive it on ice or snow. In addition to the reasons Coloviper mentioned above, the electronic throttle, even with a better calibration, and even with the adaptives ( In fact the adaptives may be part of the issue) is a pain in the butt. It sometimes reacts beyond the gas pedal input. I wish the car had a mechanical throttle. (What I am writing about is not noticeable for someone who does not use the real potential of the car. But if you do, you will occasionally feel what I mean.).

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think the fact that the SRT 8 Jeep does not have a LSD in the rear really hurts the traction in the snow.

I had a AWD truck with open differentials and it was horrible without chains. I added a LSD to the rear and torque sensing diff to the front and it would handle anything in the snow.

I wonder how a LSD in the back of the SRT8 Jeep would work? I have considered this on our supercharged models, but wonder how the front rear bias would be handle it.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan;

I am not sure how the LSDs would work in the AWD Jeep SRT 8 (10?), but hopefully someone from SRT is listening in on the thread and they are seriously looking at this. I was told they were in SLC. I would think they would work or at least help tremendously, but AWD can add a ton of issues when all wheels are doing different things.

If they can pull this off, add the 8 speed auto with paddles, move the exhaust out and put a real hitch in, all while improving the mpg, and providing that safe traction in ice/snow with 100% torque to any wheel, add an 18" or 19" winter rim and specific snow/ice tire from the catelog, then they will finally take a chunk out of the Cayenne Turbo sales for good. Don't get me wrong the Cayenne Turbo luxury and ride is awesome (it eats miles effortlessly), but the price new is insane. I bought all ours used at 65% of MRSP and with next to no miles. A new Cayenne Turbo S is like $125K. If the 2012 Jeep SRT8 (10?) can tie all this is at even 1/2 the cost max, they would just mutilate the Porsche sales. I wouldn't even think twice. I would have one on order ASAP. If they were producing a 2012 Jeep SRT10 as Ralph hinted at VOI11, then I would have a deposit in there right now if they confirmed it as real.

Bob, I am missing my mechanical thorottle cable in all my new vehicles. I hate DBW. That is what is keeping me in my 06' Viper. Since it seems as though that old throttle cable is going the way of the dodo bird, I may just keep my 06' as it will never be that way again in a new vehicle.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there is no reasonably priced and proven upgrade for a rear Limited Slip Differential I think I’m wasting my time thinking about the Jeep.

I’m not around a lot in Canada during our miserable winters so I think I would be further ahead in the winter with the 2 wheel drive Chrysler 300 SRT 8 with limited slip and studded ice radial’s.

Tim

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't opt for a 300 SRT8 for winter driving either... they are really low up front and the front fascia would be used as a snow plow. Great car, but not for winters...

I was looking at a GC SRT8 as well, but I don't really need something for snow except one week / year when I go up to see family in Ohio.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 07 with 110,000 miles on it and not one single issue. I have driven it from California all the way to New Hampshire and down to Florida... and everywhere in between. I have driven it on icy roads in Chicago... no problems, a foot of snow on the Interstate in Utah.... no problems and just about every other road condition you can imagine and I have always felt secure in it. Its a fantastic vehicle that will wipe most cars on the road out off the line... including my 2004 Viper. It shifts more than 10% of the power to the front wheels when you stomp on it... not sure why Colorado think its up to 10 but hes wrong. If I was going to get another one I would wait for the 2012 model, but if you cant wait that long get an 08 or newer. The interior and Nav systems are much better. Yeah its not great on gas milage (12 around town and 15 on the highway) but thats mainly because its very hard not to put your foot in it. I would highly recomend you get one.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have an SRT8 Jeep, but I do have an SRT8 Charger, and I must agree with Texas Venom, the 6.1 is a great engine (and the new 6.4 should be even better), and will stomp MANY unsuspecting vehicles. It really is amazing how well the cars performs, considering how heavy it is! However, his AWD SRT8 Jeep, while fast, shouldn't be able to beat his 2004 Viper off the line. If it can, than I think something is wrong with either the Viper or the driver! That Viper should do 3.9-4.0 to 60, and the SRT8 (hooking in 4wd) around 4.7. I've driven my 03 Viper and my 07 SRT8 back to back, and while the Charger is fast, it is no match for the Viper.

I too was thinking about the Cummins (I have an 04 3500 as well for my daily) to SRT8 Jeep swap, as the truck will be out of warranty next year, and I'm getting nervous. We'll see.

Last edited:

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love my 2010 Jeep GC SRT8. I've had no problems with snow or ice. It's not the absolute best vehicle in those conditions by any means but it handles better than other front wheel drive cars I've had.

Super quick from a dead start. Loses some punch (but still very fast) as the speed increases. Mileage is maybe 14 mpg on the highway, however.

11,000 miles. No issues.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2009, drive it daily in New Hampshire and tow my snowmobiles up near the Canadian border in the winter. I have had no issues. I did buy a set of wheels and mounted Pirelli Scorpions which probably help. It's not as good as 4 wheel drive to be sure, but it isn't as bad as some of the posts describe in this thread unless they are using the stock tires in the winter (dumb).
The gas mileage does stink but there is something hard to describe in words that makes this thing rock! It gives me smiles every day for the small price of a few gallons of gas.

My wife drove it back from Tator's to NH once and became hooked on its power, and handling.

This is a vehicle that you will fondly remember as we move towards vehicles designed by government.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWjkOBoG60[/media]

159.52 MPH in the standing mile. The white sign on the left is the half mile mark. With 497 all wheel power ( 606 at the flywheel), it launches like a shell fired out of a cannon. It is even a bit faster now.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an SRT8 Jeep, but I do have an SRT8 Charger, and I must agree with Texas Venom, the 6.1 is a great engine (and the new 6.4 should be even better), and will stomp MANY unsuspecting vehicles. It really is amazing how well the cars performs, considering how heavy it is! However, his AWD SRT8 Jeep, while fast, shouldn't be able to beat his 2004 Viper off the line. If it can, than I think something is wrong with either the Viper or the driver! That Viper should do 3.9-4.0 to 60, and the SRT8 (hooking in 4wd) around 4.7. I've driven my 03 Viper and my 07 SRT8 back to back, and while the Charger is fast, it is no match for the Viper.

I too was thinking about the Cummins (I have an 04 3500 as well for my daily) to SRT8 Jeep swap, as the truck will be out of warranty next year, and I'm getting nervous. We'll see.

When I meant off the line I meant 0-30... not all the way to 60. The Jeep hooks up very well so you just punch it where the Viper takes a little more finess. I cant tell you how many cars I have wasted off the line... and when they hook up I get on the brakes. LOL.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2010 SRT-8 Jeep
[SIZE=-1]FOUR WHEEL TRACTION CONTROL (BNR
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]QUADRA-TRAC ACTIVE ON DEMAND 4WD (DHB)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]CONVENTIONAL DIFFERENTIAL FRONT AXLE (DS7)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]DANA 44/226MM REAR AXLE (DRK)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1])
from
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - SRT8 performance edition

[/SIZE]
Specially developed four-wheel-drive system offers highly capable performance
from
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 introduction

and
SRT NV146. Active full-time single-speed with variable torque, solid electronically controlled clutch pack in center differential and open front and rear differentials. The NV146 transfer case provides On-Demand Active Four-Wheel Drive for optimum traction in a wide range of conditions. The transfer case uses the electronically controlled clutch pack to distribute between 0% and 50% of the available torque to the front axle. The NV146 electronics provide an active system because it can anticipate and prevent slip. The NV146 single-speed transfer case provides the following benefits:

• No shift lever or driver interaction required.
  • On-demand four-wheel drive provides smooth operation and vehicle stability under all conditions because torque is constantly being transferred.
  • Even torque distribution provides traction to maintain forward motion under most conditions.
  • The Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) works in tandem with on-demand four-wheel drive. BTCS provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction.
  • Robust design and improved sealing enhance reliability.
OperationControls for the NV146 transfer case active clutch (torque biasing device) are located in the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) and communicated on the CAN C bus. The FDCM monitors wheel speeds at the front and rear axles to detect wheel slippage. A complete vehicle dynamics model calculates slip at each tire for given vehicle-operating conditions. The clutch pack in the transfer case is engaged to minimize the speed difference between the front and rear axle, resulting in torque transfer to the axle with higher traction. The electronically controlled wet clutch pack uses an electric motor to actuate a sector plate. The sector plate actuates a clutch lever that applies normal force to the multi-disc wet clutch pack bridging the differential. The clutch discs are alternately splined to the front and rear driveshafts. When normal force is applied to this clutch pack, torque is transferred to equalize speed differences between front and rear axles. from
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - SRT8 Dimensions & Specifications

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one of the first 06 Jeep SRT8's and will be on my 5th Montreal/Canadian winter. So far no real problem on ice and lots of fun in the snow. Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Ice & snow, 245-45-20 front / 275-40-20 rear on 4 20x9" OEM front wheels.The trick I use is to drive with Traction Control 'OFF' when it's slippery to get the AWD to work. With TC ON it's always cutting in and the Jeep is a headache to drive around. It may not be as good in winter as a 5.7 Jeep or a Cayenne, but so far it has done the job for me, even towing a snowmobile up icy country roads. With 43K on it and over 250 1/4 mile runs it has never failed yet. Stock in 06 I got a 13.02@107 run and later in 07 with lots of bolt-on mods I got a best run of 12.16@113 and a 0-60 at 3.44. The mpg is bad as it's desperatly lacking a 6th gear, but I really enjoy it as a DD and will be considering switching to the 2012 model with 6.4 and 8 speed as I always prefer to buy American made cars to support the local market.
You must be registered for see images attach

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We love our '08 srt8 JeepGC. We like it as we can take our grandkids with us on trips. It is a nice companion to our Vipers. Can't think of a real negative. OK, well it doesn't have 600hp. Drove it to VOI 11 and back [prox 1500 miles RT] at speeds over the posted limits while getting prox 16mpg on hiway. Wife drove part way and fell in love with the power and handling. It is stock except for Borrani exhaust. We have yet to drive it in snow or icy conditions.

One question to more experienced owners, how does the nav system work in terms of
how to access the performamce computer display such as 0-60et etc?
Eagles

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>One question to more experienced owners, how does the nav system work in terms of
how to access the performamce computer display such as 0-60et etc?<<<

no way as far as I know...a 2010 feature!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came back from the SRT Experience in Fontana. The Jeeps were just as fast around the tight salom course as the Chargers and Challengers.

Easier to keep the power on in the corners, and actually seemed to push LESS than the Challenger.

Another option is to get a well appointed 5.7 Hemi and send it over to DC Performance and let Dan put a supercharger on it for you. Some meaty tires and better shocks, and you might have the perfect Jeep for you.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the 2011 Challenger and Charger suspensions have been upgraded. Watch the 25 minute presentation by Ralph Gilles at the LA auto show. It is on Youtube. However, there is no 2011 SRT8 Charger at the moment while the 392 SRT8 Challenger is now on tour. I understand that it does a 12.2 quarter stock out of the box.

Just came back from the SRT Experience in Fontana. The Jeeps were just as fast around the tight salom course as the Chargers and Challengers.

Easier to keep the power on in the corners, and actually seemed to push LESS than the Challenger.

Another option is to get a well appointed 5.7 Hemi and send it over to DC Performance and let Dan put a supercharger on it for you. Some meaty tires and better shocks, and you might have the perfect Jeep for you.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper