Sherman, CT Crash

jpm757

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This crash was right next to my house. This first picture was taken from my driveway.
You must be registered for see images attach

It appears the impact with the tree happened on the drivers side front, the vehicle then spun about 270 degrees to the right and ended up where it is in these pictures. What's interesting is the tire marks start in the other lane, so the driver was going around something, either another car, or a deer. I hit a deer in my car in the EXACT same spot a few years ago. He was also at the end of a straight away that is downhill and about a mile long, where you can pick up some serious speed.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a close look at the road, its shiney...means slightly damp and very slippery. This is very common up here and people (even in regular cars) underestimate how dangerous it can be.

Thanks for the pictures...drove by there last night on the way home.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else find it ironic that the Viper ended up against the "Do Not Pass" sign?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They cut the Windshield pillars out and probably just ripped off the door and clam shell and peeled the roof back. Doesn't look like a hardtop or soft top to me. Looking at the pic at the back of the car car it could be a GTS but it's hard to tell if that's a rear lip. Perhaps a 2002 FE car:dunno: I blew up the picture and there seems to be way too much glass in the back to be an RT/10.

Wow ! So it was a GTS... It really did look more like an RT/10 in that newspaper pic... Sure hope this guy has a speedy and full recovery.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was a 2002, so it has ABS. The beginning of the skid marks are stuttered, so the driver was on the brakes while in the left lane. Arguably if the skid marks were there maybe the road was a little grippy at the time of the accident. The two-dimensional perspective is bad, but I might offer that the car was out of control while in the left lane, spun (note the solid skid marks might be from sliding sideways when ABS can't help) and hit the tree on the driver's side while pointing in the wrong direction; then the impact with the tree spun the car another 180 degrees. Can't figure out why the glass fragments seem to be in front of the car, though.

None of this explains what happened, I am simply trying to reverse engineer the scene.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow it's amazing that these Vipers can take such a beating yet still keep the drivers compartment in decent shape. Hope he recovers quickly.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange to have the skid marks in the left lane? coming into a work zone and right at the no passing sign. I wonder if he just made a pass and then jumped on the brakes while he was turning.

I hope he is ok

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This crash was right next to my house. This first picture was taken from my driveway.

It appears the impact with the tree happened on the drivers side front, the vehicle then spun about 270 degrees to the right and ended up where it is in these pictures. What's interesting is the tire marks start in the other lane, so the driver was going around something, either another car, or a deer. I hit a deer in my car in the EXACT same spot a few years ago. He was also at the end of a straight away that is downhill and about a mile long, where you can pick up some serious speed.

WOW, Thanks for the Pics jpm757. Pretty Awesome 1st Post also, it doesn't get much clearer than that.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn!!! Anyway, for what its worth, we are in the middle of deer mating season here in Connecticut...a major hazard to drivers.

Good point about the deer. My wife just hit one in our neighborhood with our Aspen, luckily only a headlight repair. They dart right out in front of you giving you no time to react. That would be my statement to the police and insurance co.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, it's old, but I see an old Michelin tire there ...whatever happened, also in case of an emergency maneuver to avoid for example hitting a deer, GRIP is the most important thing in a VIPER. Cold roads, cold tires, old tires = NO GRIP.

IF the driver/owner had the original tires from 2001/2002 still on the car (I've seen some cars in SLC with very very old tires!) he was asking for a disaster - sooner or later.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, the guy was in the left lane for some reason and then had to cut the wheel. Deer in CT seems like a more reasonable explanation than anything else. He was in the damn woods.

He has more problems than the single car accident police report.

I suggest cutting him some slack. The roof was peeled back on that thing. Pretty bad accident.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The broken yellow passing line ends right at the crash scene so there was really no margin of error for oncoming cars...

jpm757

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emergency maneuver to avoid deer...:smirk:
Really officer, I swear.

classic excuse, but i would believe it in this case, i hit a deer in the exact same spot... but in this case, i'm sure he would have been better off just hitting the deer, if thats infact what he was avoiding

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, the guy was in the left lane for some reason and then had to cut the wheel. Deer in CT seems like a more reasonable explanation than anything else.

Yes that's most likely it.
These damn deer have been wrecking havoc on Viper drivers for far too long in my opinion.

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bottom line is, He was driving to fast for conditions. Not to mention the construction and posted 25 MPH signs! He is lucky he did not take out a construction worker.
I wish him well on a speedy recovery but it is hard to sympathize for stupidity.

One of the questions I am always asked is "How fast have you had it going?"
My answer is always a lie because they want to hear 205 or that I pegged the speedo..
Here in Michigan, you are asking for something like this to happen going that fast down a street with Dense woods on each side! If I don't have open highway and at least 50 visable yards left to right on the side of the road, it is defensive driving at the speed limit all day long.

Especially during Hunting season! *** was he thinking?

Just last Sunday thought I would take the Viper out for a last drive. It was about 48 degrees, Sunny and dry roads at 2:00 P.M, Normal accelleration coming from a traffic light, hit second gear and the back end slid out and started wheel hopping..Scared the begeesis out of me. Turned around and went home. She is parked for the Winter.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see how the old tires played a role in this accident. They certainly didn't help the situation as these rock hard PS1's seem to bite most during emergency maneuvering. At least the driver only hurt himself and not anyone else. Any update on his condition this week?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on that road quite often as its only 15 minutes down the road from where I am. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see a shine on the road where the police are standing. That means the road was damp and, with the type of asphalt they use here, it is very slippery. With roads like that, he didn't really have to be going all that fast to wipe out.

At this point, without getting his side of the story, it seems unfair to flatly convict the guy of reckless speeding. There are so many more danger factors around here that you just never know.

Now, for me, it seems that he is not a VCA member and nobody in the club knows him. Regardless, let's hope he has a full recovery as the car is replaceable, but he is not.

We all know the car has b-lls, so if you want to keep yours, drive safely! :D

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm no accident scene investigator, so this is completely theory, but if he was going really fast, I would expect the skid marks to have more width. The skid marks seem to indicate it happened in a short amount of space. With the quick turn into the woods, I would expect the centrifugal force to show further sideways movement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh