Sherman, CT Crash

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know we have at least one member in Sherman, but whomever it is, I hope they pull through.

Man airlifted by LifeStar helicopter after one-car crash in Sherman - NewsTimes

You must be registered for see images

SHERMAN -- Route 39 South was closed Wednesday afternoon around 3:30 p.m. between the Jewish Community Center and the intersection with Route 37 due to a one-car crash on Route 39 about a half-mile south of the center of Sherman.

The driver and only occupant of a red Dodge Viper, a male reportedly in his early 40s, had to be extricated by Sherman firefighters. He was airlifted by LifeStar helicopter from the scene.

State police said they could not confirm details, but early reports from other sources indicate the crash involved high-speed impact into a tree.

C'mon guys, please be extra cautious this time of year! Cold tires, cold road & leaf debris = dangerous.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a red viper owner that lives a few minutes from the crash site but I don't think it's him. That location is not far from Tator's. I see PS1's on that Viper...hmm...cold/old tires...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just gotsome calls from my department to check if it was me. I live ten minutes from Sherman. Driver was air lifted, but nothing on his condition yet

We are a mutual aid fire dept to Sherman, so our team was ready if needed.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just gotsome calls from my department to check if it was me. I live ten minutes from Sherman. Driver was air lifted, but nothing on his condition yet

My first thought was that it's you :omg: but the article said the occupant is in their 40's...that rules you out. :D

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A closer look, to me it looks like a gen II RT/10. Also looks like the softtop was on.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like sideways into a tree,

1 good thing is is from the pic it looks like the drivers area is in good shape and protected the driver

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is ten minutes from my house, 40 degrees today and very windy! I wonder what the cause was and if cold tires had anything to do with it! Hopefully he is okay!

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i Just Gotsome Calls From My Department To Check If It Was Me. I Live Ten Minutes From Sherman. Driver Was Air Lifted, But Nothing On His Condition Yet

We Are A Mutual Aid Fire Dept To Sherman, So Our Team Was Ready If Needed.

Thank You For The Post Peter. I Was Just About To Call Jimmy For Your #.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Its so weird, my department just started calling me because they all thought it was me! I had my Captain pass my house to make sure my car wasn't stolen. Whew, it wasn't! :D

Comp, if you're that close then you're pretty close to New Fairfield

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and if cold tires had anything to do with it!

"State police couldn't confirm details, but early reports from other sources indicate the Viper was traveling at high speed when it hit the tree."
Like every other Viper accident in the last 18 years. At least he didn't injure an innocent person.

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looks like sideways into a tree,

1 good thing is is from the pic it looks like the drivers area is in good shape and protected the driver

I noticed that too - pointed it out to the wife who just happened to enter the room while I was viewing the thread. She always gets nervous when she sees stuff like this.
Thoughts and prayers go out to him...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the road, and its a long, straight down grade here you could get up to some good speds

Panzer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have been haulin some ass when he went off, hope hes alright.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the intake, the exhaust where the side sill used to be and the door jam, its definitely a Gen II. If there's a Gen III in Sherman I've never seen it.

The only Viper I know of in this area is a yellow Gen II and I don't think he's a member.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like an RT/10 with GEN-3 seats...and old tires again :omg:

Hope he survives!

...Scott Kravis, of 74 Route 39 North, was taken by LifeStar helicopter to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he was being treated for what state police called "serious, life-threatening injuries" late Wednesday.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kravis' car, a red 2002 Dodge Viper -- a limited-edition sports car equipped with a 10-cylinder engine -- was headed north when he lost control, state police said.

According to police, the Viper veered off the road and struck a tree just off the right shoulder.

State police said the cause of the crash was still under investigation, but preliminary reports from other sources indicate the car was traveling at high speed when it hit the tree.

Firefighters from Sherman and Water Witch Hose Company in New Milford cut off the roof of the car and removed the door to get the driver out.

Sherman Fire Chief Bob Accosta said Kravis was conscious during the extrication. He said he had no additional information on Kravis' condition.

Firefighters used thermal imaging equipment to scan the nearby woods for signs of another victim, but they eventually determined Kravis had been the sole occupant of the car.

According to police, the road was reopened to traffic shortly before 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Contact John Pirro at [email protected] or 203-731-3342.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A closer look, to me it looks like a gen II RT/10. Also looks like the softtop was on.
The article says they cut the top off, wouldn't have had to do that if it was a soft top. Firefighters from Sherman and Water Witch Hose Company in New Milford cut off the roof of the car and removed the door to get the driver out.

Owner: Scott Kravis, of 74 Route 39 North, was taken by LifeStar helicopter to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he was being treated for what state police called "serious, life-threatening injuries" late Wednesday

Just glad it wasn't you Peter, and wishing the best for Scott Kravis.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And not commenting on his driving ability, but we see this pretty often. People do not respect the road up here. They go too fast and then realize they can no monger control their car. They end up getting rescued out of gullies or taken out of their cars after hitting whatever is on the side of the road, most of a tree or two!

So is he in the club? I didn't notice

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quit blaming the tires.

No disrespect meant. Hope he pulls through.

Very respectfully speaking I don't think anyone is "blaming" the tires but it frequently is a common denominator in Viper accidents particularly in cold weather. No one leaves their house in the morning thinking they will crash that day but I personally know that here in the Northeast you have to take your tire compound and wear into consideration when it is cold out, warm as well but obviously to a much lesser degree! My ACR grip is non existent in these temps. but that is not to say that the bottom line onus is on the driver! It is Thanksgiving, let's all pray for his well being!!!:2tu:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They cut the Windshield pillars out and probably just ripped off the door and clam shell and peeled the roof back. Doesn't look like a hardtop or soft top to me. Looking at the pic at the back of the car car it could be a GTS but it's hard to tell if that's a rear lip. Perhaps a 2002 FE car:dunno: I blew up the picture and there seems to be way too much glass in the back to be an RT/10.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully the driver will be alright. It is a shame that another Viper driver decided to unleash the power of the Viper on public roads. Take it to the track, please. Drive the Viper on the road like it was a Dodge Sebring. Go to the track and you can learn to drive the car at its limits in a safer environment.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully the driver will be alright. It is a shame that another Viper driver decided to unleash the power of the Viper on public roads. Take it to the track, please. Drive the Viper on the road like it was a Dodge Sebring. Go to the track and you can learn to drive the car at its limits in a safer environment.

Agreed, Please, please, please, do not drive a Viper like it is a high performance vehicle on public roads. If you don't ever drive it on the track, the only reason to own it is for the exclusivity of owning something that looks cool, and sounds cool if you have aftermarket exhaust and occasionally take advantage of a quick acceleration up to speed on an interstate entrance ramp.

Sarcasm aside, we have no idea whatsoever about what happened here in order to base a judgement on. The least trustable source is a news report. The guy could have easily just been dodging a deer and lost it.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, Please, please, please, do not drive a Viper like it is a high performance vehicle on public roads. If you don't ever drive it on the track, the only reason to own it is for the exclusivity of owning something that looks cool, and sounds cool if you have aftermarket exhaust and occasionally take advantage of a quick acceleration up to speed on an interstate entrance ramp.

Sarcasm aside, we have no idea whatsoever about what happened here in order to base a judgement on. The least trustable source is a news report. The guy could have easily just been dodging a deer and lost it.

You are of course correct but based on the damage I seriously doubt that the Viper was driving at or near the speed limit. That kind of damage would have been unlikely for a car doing the posted speed limit in CT even given rescue efforts.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some of dont like the tracks and prefer to drive fast in mexico. sorry guys, that is just how it is.

I do agree with chuck though, a road course training/tracking would definitely help us all drive safer on the street.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets