LED Tail lights ????

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Mr Plum i did do a search LOL:smirk:!!!!!!

Is there a LED replacement for the tail lights??
And is anyone running these? If so are they any good??
Many thanks:2tu:

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced all the stock bulbs on my car with leds inside and out. It really updates the car and looks 10 times better at night! I know some guys say it's a waste of money if it doesn't make it go faster, but I'm happy with the turn out.

You'll need 3 pairs for the taillights which are 3157 bulbs. I get all my leds from V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced all the stock bulbs on my car with leds inside and out. It really updates the car and looks 10 times better at night! I know some guys say it's a waste of money if it doesn't make it go faster, but I'm happy with the turn out.

You'll need 3 pairs for the taillights which are 3157 bulbs. I get all my leds from V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights

Do you any pics? I would like to see the interior at night

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put an LED in the center tail light only.
Kinda' gives it a "snake eyes" look...IMO

With brakes on...

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get a picture from a distance so here are some close up shots. The light is not distrubuted eventally on the speedo due to the positioning of the light bulb socket but it still lights it up as best as it can. This camera doesn't take very good pictures at night but, what do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get a picture from a distance so here are some close up shots. The light is not distrubuted eventally on the speedo due to the positioning of the light bulb socket but it still lights it up as best as it can. This camera doesn't take very good pictures at night but, what do you think?

Very interesting. Kinda like it.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt think you could change the dash gauge bulbs because they are solid units.... Which bulbs are they?

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Too many choices.... Which exact ones did you get?.... Thanks!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many choices.... Which exact ones did you get?.... Thanks!

YES!!! They have a lot of choices! I just had to keep buying interior lights until I got the ones I liked the most. :crazy2: They can be expensive but this will help. :2tu:

3 pairs of taillights
2 RED 3157 V-LEDS M-SMT 27 LED BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 3156 4057 B/O

The 4 small gauges I used these.

2 V-LEDS 3 SMT HID WHITE WEDGE BASE DASH LIGHT BULBS 37 74

I think I also used another pair in the tach and the speedo because there are two different type bulbs.

Then for the speedo and tach I used these.

2 WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821

They have a lot of different colors, but 5k white looks the best IMO. You just can't beat the quality of leds once you see them.

To me it's more luxurious than "rice".

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great...
Another cool Winter project.

Thanks for the direct links to the bulbs....:2tu:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder how red dash leds would look? how long did it take you to complete the dash and what challenges did you run into?

Last edited:

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first upgrades i did when i bought my car was swap out the liscencse plate light for white led lights. i love them and i later bought a set for my dads car.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder how red dash leds would look? how long did it take you to complete the dash and what challenges did you run into?

Well for me it was kind of easy to get everything swapped out because I removed the entire dash for custom mods. The bulbs are a direct swap, dead simple.

Red would be ok but it might clash with the yellow overlays? The cool thing about the dash lights is the fact you can still use the dimmer switch. :2tu:

The white LED's tag lights look amazing at night as well :headbang:

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So dumb Q... are all the bulbs a simple/direct swap?

Wow just realized how old this thread is (was)! Sorry!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the leds are a direct swap. You need to take a sharpie and trace around your gauge brackets since you have to take them out to change the bulb. If you don't you will have a hard time trying to get everything to line back up for the interior gauges.

Yes I had the dimmer on all the way in the pictures but they don't do it justice! You can have them full dim if you want too. :2tu:

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I changed out every bulb that I could with LED's I had to cut and splice 6 diodes for the taillights :omg:

It's not a huge ordeal but it might not be something that everyone wants to do. The only reason why I had to do this was for a backfeeding issue.

When I added leds to my front turn signals anytime I stepped on the brake (with my lights off) all my interior lights, side marker, turn signal and tag lights would come on. Remember I changed EVERYTHING with leds, so your results might vary, plus the type of leds that you buy.

When I Step On My Brakes My Dash Lights Dim Or My Parking Lights Turn On, WHY? « V-LEDS

It took me about an hour to get everything wired in. It might not be for everyone, but it did solve my issue.

If you have led taillights and a few other lights, i don't think you will have this issue.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great mod and one that I will be doing soon too.

For anyone that is under the opinion that this doesn't add anything other than aesthetics leds light faster than incandescent so the person behind you see lights earlier so reaction time is improved. Were talking milliseconds but that could translate to a few feet and the difference between a bumper bashing or a near miss. That's why the first lights to convert to leds were center stop lamps.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For anyone that is under the opinion that this doesn't add anything other than aesthetics leds light faster than incandescent so the person behind you see lights earlier so reaction time is improved. Were talking milliseconds but that could translate to a few feet and the difference between a bumper bashing or a near miss. That's why the first lights to convert to leds were center stop lamps.

Well said!

Even though LED's are pricey I think you get your money's worth in the long run. My Viper is lit up at night in a classy and stylish way and I think it enhances the overall look and quality.

I don't think it's "rice" or cheap looking when you do it right. Now if I had undercarriage lights installed then that's a different story.... :rolaugh:

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ricer or not LEDS look 100 times better than the old $hit, heck more than half the vipers in this forum have modded one thing or another, who made them the ricer police any dam way, "f-them if they don't like it" by the way look at the sider markers on the dodge viper, that same exact "clearance marker" can be purchased at walmart for$2.59 same SAE # and all, how cheesy as that, I'm gonna smoke mine and yes throw some leds in there!!!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When travelling at 55mph the faster turn on time of the LED gives you 1.5 car lengths addition stopping distance.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did any of you notice any difference on the electric gauge on the car...as the LED's are rumored to pull less?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did any of you notice any difference on the electric gauge on the car...as the LED's are rumored to pull less?

For Red applications, LEDs use approximate 10% of the power of traditional Incandescent bulbs.
Not a rumor but indeed fact. This is because red LEDs are only producing the color needed vs an incandescent bulb where you filter out all but the red light.
Amber LED power savings are only about 10- 15%.