Buying my first Viper this week!

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone my name is Phillip and I am from the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago. I left a deposit on a nice 97 Dodge Viper in Minneapolis last week and am flying out there this Thursday to pick it up. I am going to be driving it back to Chicago so hopefully no snow storm will arise, but for now the weather looks good.

My father owns a 95 Rt/10 so I know the general feel of them, but he barely lets me touch it so I cannot say I know the car in and out, but I have made a good 200+ miles on it myself. I have never really had any issues with it except the lovely battery dieing alarm problem :mad: but thanks to Steve-Indy I was able to repair it myself.

Anyways is there anything I should know before taking the car on the 7+ Hour drive in winter? Anything I should double check, anything I should change, etc? And if worse comes to worse and snow starts falling, what is the point I should stop at? Can it handle through flurries or rain?

Thanks for all the help I cannot wait to pick it up! :drive:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously check fluids and tire pressure.

Don't push it at all. Drive like an 80 yr old. Super cold and nasty up there. You can be a pro and still not control this car on ice.

Take it easy and pull into motels if the weather gets bad. Better safe than sorry.

Get AAA as well in case you break down. It is low cost insurance, honestly.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That's great news, "fill-up" !!

First off, watch the weather...you have picked quite a week for travel...be prepared to abort if the weather/highways are in question.

I'm sure that many great suggestions will be forthcoming, so I'll only throw in a few for now.

See this link for the Minnesota VCA Officers, print their contact info:

Viper Club of Minnesota

If you need help, I'm sure that they will try to assist. A couple of years ago I had the occasion to speak with their Treasurer who as I recall had a shop and worked on Vipers...which might be useful if you find a problem at pickup time. I'm NOT sure the current Treasurer is the same guy, but I'm confident help could be found through their members.

Try to get service/repair/maintenance records with the car. As suggested, drivetrain fluid change would be good...especially before the trip. But, if that hasn't/can't be done...just take it easy, and do it soon. DO check oil, coolant, brake & clutch fluid levels before departing...along with tires and pressures.

How old is the battery?? As it is not practical to change one on the road, at least take a GOOD set of jumper cables...especially if you can't take a portable battery booster pack with you (TSA would likely frown!!) unless you and a friend drive up together...which is a GREAT IDEA in MY opinion...as a chase car would be invaluable.

Take many layers of winter clothes, water, food, flashlight with spare batteries, cell phone (and charger), paper map...and plan as though you'll get stranded. A folding shovel and a sleeping bag would be nice. File a "flight plan" with a reliable friend and update them by phone every hour or two with highway mile marker references. The AAA membership reference was an excellent recommendation...but, keep in mind that in bad weather it can take them hours to days to respond if there is a heavy seasonal load.

I'm SURE more suggestions will be offered. The main thing is to be safe...so that you can get your new Viper home and start getting it ready for the Spring of a lifetime!!

Call me if I can assist.

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious if you checked the weather lately. Sounds like Minneapolis got hit pretty hard with snow. Caved in the roof at the stadium there. I can understand you're very excited to pick it up, but personally I wouldn't want to drive mine under those conditions. Just my 2 cents......:nono:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought i heard They are having bed snow storms! Last night coming back from a party,i was caught in the rain and that was scary enough,so please be aware of the weather and be up to the minute.Things change fast up there. I'd say don't let your excitement get the best of you. Not worth wrecking your cool car and possibly someone getting hurt. Please be very cautious? Congrats!!

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not drive it this time of year.:nono: Have you considered trailering her home or having a company like reliable do it for you?:2tu:

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the replies, and I did hear about that football stadiums roof breaking as well. And I am going to order AAA tomorrow.

But as far as weather goes, I am most likely going Thursday evening and this whole week looks like its going to be sunny with the exception of Wednesday which will have "scattered flurries". So hopefully all that will be cleaned up by Thurs night.

I am bringing a friend with me, and I will try to take as many of the things that Steve mentioned, but I am not sure if I will be able to take a shovel on an airplane.

I also owned a Z06 with about 550hp, no traction control or abs (previous owner removed them, not sure why) but anyways I know how powerful cars handle and I will most likely not go over 60mph on my way home. Also if the weather gets bad at all then I will pull over to a motel and wait for it to clear.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have not mentioned anything about the tires. Are they new,old, original that's the thing I would make sure is top notch before I drove it 10 Miles.

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine home a few weeks ago through Michigan and Ontario, which was around 220 miles. I would say just stick to the right lane, drive carefully and slowly. I hoovered around the 70 mile mark, and it went fairly smoothly. I would say with the salt now on the road, just be weary of vehicles around you, especially trucks.

I found it useful to bring someone along to drive behind you. If you have that luxury definitely take advantage of it.

Good luck on the drive and have fun! YOU'RE BRINGING A VIPER HOME!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well,*fill-up*...if you are on your Viper journey, I hope it's going well !!

If it was delayed, there will be another day.

P.S....if you ARE driving your new Viper, try to stop smiling for a few minutes every hour or so, as said abnormal facial contortions lead to deep facial wrinkles in spite of being good for mental health.

Travel safely... call if you have any questions.

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck! I drove mine from Minnesota to Georgia in September when I bought it and loved every minute of it!

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone I didn't head out today because of the weather :( I will hopefully be going out monday to pick it up, and I will definitely not stop smiling on my whole ride there and home. I just hope the weather clears up so I can safely make it back!

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6-7 inches of snow expected for Monday. I'm never going to get this viper :(

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Midwest weather has been tricky lately. Might want to call Reliable Carriers, that way you can get the car home and in your garage!

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a flat bed trailer, just do not want to make a long 15+ hour drive in a pick up. But looks like I am most likely going to end up doing that :/

V

Venomiss

Just in case you change your mind and want to ship....these are still out roaming around the country. Someone in NY saw one recently.

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

trailer3.jpg

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 hours each way is nothing....you probably put more hours each day in at work......

put on your big boy ******* , grab a friend to go with ya and go pick it up. you will have fun !

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
*fill-up*, I do hope that the weather gives you a break this coming week, as it seems the forecast is improving.

If you make the trip, have fun and be safe !!!

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I am sitting at the gate at the airport right now! My flight is scheduled to leave in about 30 minutes and I will be driving the car home, the weather will be in the high 30's with light rain. Wish me luck, I'm really excited and nervous!

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I just landed, that was a short flight! I will get on here after I buy the car with pictures :)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a 'heat wave' coming here to northern IN/ Chicago area today thru Sat.!

You got lucky dude, good luck and be safe!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That's great news, *fill-up*...this is a day you'll never forget !!

Have a fun and safe drive home...and call if you have any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper