Starting hunt for the right Viper

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all

Newbie to the viper world here...just signed up the other day. Vipers have always been my favorite car and I finally decided that I need one in the garage in the semi-near future. I am not in any hurry and currently have a bassboat I need to get rid of once spring rolls around anyways. I've owned "lesser" bolt on modded sports cars (mustang and trans am) in the past and want to get back into the world of go fast cars. I have read all i can on the forum and have Maurice's viper buyers guide on its way. I am one that researches things to death before buying and always like to know everything about a car.

I want to get a viper to drive, not sit in the garage. I'll keep my 07 Tacoma for rainy/cold days. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and can handle basic maintenance. I will be plenty satisfied with an rt/10 but am open to GTS if its the right one. Although I can probably swing a little more, I want to stay below $30k for sure just for my sanity and would really like around $25k if I can do it. That leaves me with a gen 1 vert most likely, which I'm cool with other than the windows being kind of a pain. My eyes get dried out in cold wind so I would probably want a hard top/plex windows on it unless its hot out.

With nothing else interesting to do, I drove a couple hours and looked a 94 rt for sale over the weekend (he's asking $20k). It was the first one I've ever "looked" at to buy. Figure the more I look at, the more I'll get to know what to look for and what I need in the car. There's a link to a few pictures below. My camera is one of those tiny ones and doesn't take great pics...plus it was ridiculously sunny out. Got a few questions about the car. Its only got 13xxx miles on the odometer but isn't in great condition cosmetically. The interior is pretty rough. Dash would need repainted. Door handle trim was falling off drivers side. Molding pieces were pretty white and dried out. There are a few scratches in the paint and one oddly oxidized blemish probably 2" diameter. The guy had a crushed limestone driveway so the car is really dusty. I found it funny he didn't clean the car up at all for me. Probably my first clue. He said he bought it two years ago on ebay for $24500 from some "oil tycoon" in Houston. He has two young kids and said it just sits in his shed now. Haven't gone as far as checking carfax but he said its all clean on it and has never been wrecked. The passenger door didn't seem to close all that well and interior panel lines on pass side didn't match up great so I don't know if I believe that yet though. He said he just had it in for service and the mechanic "dropped something" on the windshield and cracked it so a new windshield was just put on with internal antenna. Car is all stock mechanically. It needs new rubber but has newer chrome wheels. He didn't realize they weren't stock and it took him five minutes to open the hood because he forgot how. Not that I knew because I haven't done it either but shows that he's not too smart about the cars. He drove me around in it, didn't offer to let me drive and I didn't bother asking just because I wasn't all that serious about the car and didn't feel like being one of those guys just trying to get a free turn at the wheel of a hot car. His wife ran over the soft top with her hummer so its bent a little (canvas fine and metal rods fixable) and no hard top with it. Anyways, to my few questions. I got a fairly offish feeling about this car/owner in general so realize I'm not too seriously entertaining the idea of buying it but for the mileage on it if it all checks out with a viper tech its priced right I guess. Tires add to that though. I will probably wait regardless...it will get its due diligence and more should I pursue it further.

Snapfish Album...hopefully you can see pics

1. In picture DSCN0299, the body lines from the door/mirror don't match up at all with the front. I can't find a good picture on the net to see if thats designed that way though. Thoughts?

2. In picture DSCN0293 you can see the big paint blemish. Is there any way to make that look decent?

3. In picture DSCN0307 you can see a pretty deep scratch from side windows. Can that be fixed at all?

4. In picture DSCN0289 you can see the pass door to dash lines don't match up very well and the gap appears larger than in photos I've seen online. Could that be normal with age? (Also has ugly speakers in the door)

5. As a whole, am I going to find these types of cosmetic problems of most cars of this gen and age? This being my first car looked at it, I don't really know to expect. Being a 16 year old car and not priced above norm...is this what I am going to see a lot?

thanks for the thoughts!

Daren

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all...welcome! You've definitely come to the right place to get ideas about what to look for and how to shop for a viper. You did a very good job on your first shopping trip. You found a number of issues with this car and unless he wants to give it to you, don't buy it. There are a lot of nicer cars out there around your price range. Maurice's book will help a lot.

If you truly want a DD (daily driver), you need to think about a GEN II or III for your price range, probably a GEN II. I too wanted a GEN I when I first started shopping. I wanted an RT/10. My brain took control over my heart and things like being able to lock the car, roll up windows, less 'issues'...then I decided I wanted ABS, that pushed me towards a 2001+ year model.

The more research you do the more you will learn. The guys/gals here will help you a bunch. Use the search feature in the forums (The Basics - Step By Step Instructions On How To Use The VCA Web Forums) and if you can't find the answer to your question...post it up. You may also find that the car you are looking for might be right here owned by a forum member...it seems like one goes up for sale on a weekly basis.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you truly want a DD (daily driver), you need to think about a GEN II or III for your price range, probably a GEN II. I too wanted a GEN I when I first started shopping. I wanted an RT/10. My brain took control over my heart and things like being able to lock the car, roll up windows, less 'issues'...then I decided I wanted ABS, that pushed me towards a 2001+ year model.

Thanks for the words of advice. I won't really consider it a DD but you are probably right in that not having locks would be an issue. Gen II would probably suit me better.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to stay below $30k for sure just for my sanity and would really like around $25k if I can do it. That leaves me with a gen 1 vert most likely
Yes, that price range is going to limit you a lot. Most likely GenI and probably higher milage. Although I wouldn't worry too much about that, these cars are able to take the milage. You will also need to accept a rougher condition. I mean, if you are paying 39k - 40k for a '94 then you would expect great condition. But under 30 and you are going to have to accept some scratches and wear. How much are you willing to accept?

If your like me, you have a set price in mind but always wind up shelling out the extra bucks when you find the right one! lol

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your like me, you have a set price in mind but always wind up shelling out the extra bucks when you find the right one! lol[/QUOTE]

Ended up going 25000 over my limit to get the perfect one for me,:omg: as far as time, spent close to 5 years looking always waiting to see what new color was coming out, then wanted to see the 06 copperhead colored coupe, then heard about 08 colors and upgrades then it was stripes or no stripes, convertible or coupe etc etc etc, thought my wife was going to have me committed before it was all over.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think its worth 20k its not that nice you will put another 10k just cleaning it up and paint

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
winter just got her, plenty of buys still coming, just wait with cash in hand and it will find you.

plenty of decent gen2 car with higher miles in your range and more gen1's. dont sweat it, just keep looking

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!...i paid 21K for my 94 RT/10 and feel i did well.Prices have went down some of late,so look around and make sure you get the one you want.Should be able to find a decent Gen 1 or maybe even find a great deal on a gen 2 for maybe a bit more. I feel i did well for mine,but did do some work to get where i wanted.Slider windows,short throw shifter and 3:54 rear change. Be patient and GOOD lUCK! :drive:

You must be registered for see images

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not buy a gen 1, buy a gen 11 so you will start out with the 450 h.p. You will regret buying a gen 1 when you see the gen 11s run alot faster car for car in bone stock condition. Just my and alot of others opinions...:headbang: :) :eater:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roysviper has a good point but, always liked the way the Gen I's felt to drive!
I have seen GenII coupes in that range but unusual.good luck and if at all possible have a Viper tech go over the car in addition to all the other background checks.a lot of cars out there if you're ready to buy it won't take long!

OP
OP
B

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!...i paid 21K for my 94 RT/10 and feel i did well.Prices have went down some of late,so look around and make sure you get the one you want.Should be able to find a decent Gen 1 or maybe even find a great deal on a gen 2 for maybe a bit more. I feel i did well for mine,but did do some work to get where i wanted.Slider windows,short throw shifter and 3:54 rear change. Be patient and GOOD lUCK! :drive:

I have decided its got to be a gen II for me now. That picture of your car looks familiar, did you just get it?

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided its got to be a gen II for me now. That picture of your car looks familiar, did you just get it?

I bought it over a year ago in Va. I love it,but my GTS is the one i usually drive because it is a much better cruiser and tamer ride .The gen 1 is loud and i think maybe more mods than i know about.It seems so much faster than the gen 2 although i have never tested them . :drive:

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me if you're still looking. This car is currently available:

early production 1st gen w/only 8k and a few performance add-ons. It's been Professionally color changed from Red to Viper Snake green, w/1st gen 3 spoke rims refinished in dark charcoal gray (mounted on new tires)... so it may not be everyone's cup of tea, due to these bold changes. Priced well below your limit. A turn-key Cdn car that needs nothing.

Last edited: