Another what's it worth thread

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is so subjective I hate asking but will anyway! I will be selling my 01 Sapphire GTS in the next few months.Car is in exceptional condition( not my comment but others) with 20 k miles no stories or accident history.
Fluids changed annually
Oil 3 to 4 times a year
3.55 gears
Clear bra (car has never rolled without it.)
Vinyl stripes factory color
Only chips on the car are on the sills
Paint is in exceptional condition with minimal swirls (professionally maintained)
All Dodge paint
Pristine black interior
3" cats and cat back exhaust
Fresh brake pads and rotors
2 year old pilot sports with 85% tread
Right now I've got ACR BBS wheels but figured I would sell separately
Undercarriage nearly as clean as the paint it's detailed at least once a year
So give me your opinions I realize values are a bit lower in the winter but give them anyway!

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Afraid I'm going to the dark side!!!

GEN IV !!!
Will never like the looks of a IV next to my GTS coupe but I love the improved mechanicals.
Good tweener until the Gen V comes out!

V

Venomiss

Serviced by an excellent mechanic-worth it's weight in gold.:D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$30K - $35K is realistic on this car. I would recommend asking around $33K - $34K like V10 said and expect low $30s sale. At that price you would probably get bites and would be realistically priced. I just have no idea how long it would take to sell as I have not sold a car in a few months so maybe others can chime in on that part. Season has a lot to do with it but someone no doubt in a warm climate will purchase. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input if the market for the car is that low I will probably keep it and buy another motorcycle. You can never have too many motorcycles!

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gave 28,500.00 for mine in sept. 29K miles Safe to say yours has been cared for a lot better. Mine is apart having everything put right on it.The way it sounds like yours is now. I am about 4-5000.00 in on upgrades and repairs. Hope this helps,,

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All thoughts welcome whether I like them or not!! I have been anal about the car so whoever gets it will get a very clean and crisp car!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the right buyer it is worth $35k... For a quick sale $30k. Your car seems very well maintained and good mods. That is worth more, but tough to get more $$$ this time of year. Make sure to take some good pics as that will help sell the car...

I thought I saw a link for someone looking for a Saphire recently.

GL!

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nextphase if your right I will be riding a new Ducati and driving a gen II this spring!!! Car is worth more than that to me! Keep them coming I can use all the advice possible I don't sell often.

aquaholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$25,000 - $30,000 in this market since the car is yours and not mine. I'f it were mine i'd bump it up to $40,000 - $45,000 for a ******

Last edited:

aquaholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 Dodge RT/102 Door Coupe Pricing Original
MSRP Low
Retail Average
Retail High
Retail
Base Price $72,225 $37,900 $44,500 $53,200

See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE $72,225 $37,900 $44,500 $53,200*
* This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report . Don't make a $53,200 mistake. Find out why AutoCheck is better than Carfax. Get a Free VIN Check today.

looks like i shot you too low according to the NADA Guide

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the info,pricing can be a pia don't want to screw anyone including myself! The low could be right or the high I really have no clue and the market sets regardless of what I want, kind of like being married

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to a certain web site. The average asking price on an '01 viper (dealership and private) is $40,732. This includes both RT/10 and GTS.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the right buyer it is worth $35k... For a quick sale $30k. Your car seems very well maintained and good mods. That is worth more, but tough to get more $$$ this time of year. Make sure to take some good pics as that will help sell the car...

GL!

That matches what I have seen them selling at.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another pricing thread.....I just looked at A--o Tr---r, hmmm the nameless auto sale site. Generally, they are averaging as you say, around $40k for nice car, decent miles. Low miles and, or work, seem up around $50k...obviously asking price and who knows if there are any bites...usually a dealer.

You've got a really nice GTS, if I were in the market, I'd ****** it up.

I would start out in the mid-$30's just to see what happens. Lots of pics really does help. If you can hold out, I would wait til spring and go for $40k to start.

Good luck!

Ducati....NICE!:D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GL!

THIS........

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Inaccuracies abound in this thread , and though I hesitate to go into this, there is a point where some things need to be addressed to help all of us as Viper owners. A couple of areas need to be really viewed and they are ;

1. Seasonal Sales --- hogwash, frankly , as consumers hurt themselves guessing their cars will sell better if they wait for Spring. Then they are surprised that everyone else waited to sell their specialty car in Spring also - now they try to sell in a fairly market. Best months of the year for our sales --- January, February and March.

2. Prices of the cars based on what someone else bought one for. Just a price tells us nothing , as there is an unbelievable difference in what one person thinks is in great shape and the next. In the last twelve years the cruelest pricing analysis is often with all the supposed guides. With so few Vipers actually sold, it can vary from too high a valuation to way too low ---knowing which one is way out of kilter is sometimes great to assist with accident claims, though.

3. The economy is all the problem. Not really, since the market for Gen IIs dropped over 4 years ago. Many folks grew up wanting the current body style of the Viper ( essentially a 8 year old design), and that is what they save to purchase. This is the true nature of many cars, and it is usually years before real value eclipses perceived value -- use the Mid Year Vettes for examples, as they plummeted when the new " Mako Shark" looking Vettes came out , yet years later became the hottest ticket ever. Many feel this will happen to the Gen II Vipers, it just hasn't happened yet.

4. Banks ---- this is, in my estimation, the single biggest problem out there. Many places will not finance an older car without alot down, and then the terms are often fairly short. When a lending institution wants 10K down , a consumer with good credit often looks to an even newer model, as he/she can make the same monthly payment and it will have a lower loan rate and longer term.

5. Extended Service Contracts --- this car is still eligible ( through a selling Dodge Dealer ) , but it also becomes a limiting factor to individuals when buying an older Viper, knowing an engine failure could cost close to half of the car's worth.

6. It takes approximately 2 months or more to sell a Viper-- ask your large Dealers. Normally sellers ( often on this board ) start dropping their price after little happens in a couple of weeks. That just starts the " Vulture Trend," where actual buyers just sit waiting for further uncontrolled panic to overcome the seller --- this highlights the car, the prices drop to a point where not only does the seller get foolishly irrational, it taints the vehicle to make some folks believe it may be damaged goods. The end result is even Dealers stay away from buying the car, as it has had too much publicity, and it in turn devalues all of our cars since it appears they are selling for a song. Truth is that even with a rolling economy Vipers have sold at around a 2-3 month selling cycle at best.

Lastly each car has it's strengths and weaknesses and they need to be viewed by the seller..........

Let's use this car as an example;

Strengths --
1. Very popular color ( this is it's biggest advantage)
2. 2 sets of rims and new PS2 tires
3. Very good condition and reported to be properly serviced

Weaknesses --
1. Higher mileage. We all know the cars will go forever, but this is a perceived issue with Vipers , that long ago became a reality.
2. Tape stripes -- concern often by buyers if removing will leave a difference in paint from sun exposure
3. Lack of long term financing

All in all , we do ourselves the biggest disservice by trying to judge what a Viper is worth with only a modicum of true knowledge and when individuals with very little experience add their input , it again ,in my opinion , brings down the marque as a whole.

This thread, alone, has swings of values in the 20s to the 50s, and that in a nutshell is why it can be counterproductive.

Respectfully Submitted ,
Bill Pemberton

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate the reality of this (well sometimes it suprises you in a good way) but if you go to the completed listings on ebay and see what has "actually" sold and for what value that will give you a good idea of what you can expect to actually get for the car in this market. It is a good indicator of current value, which is what someone is willing to pay. I think in this market the book values don't mean much, good luck with the sale.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input if the market for the car is that low I will probably keep it and buy another motorcycle. You can never have too many motorcycles!

The good news is that the market is that low on higher priced models too. This is a great time to upgrade! Just realize you will get more in return, and bite the bullet! just my 2c.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having just bought a 5000 mile 97 B/W GTS and being very familiar with the market we currently find ourselves in (because I looked forever to find the right car), I would say that you will be lucky to get much more than $30 - $32K for your car. Really not a good time to sell right now. I do hope you get more though. GLWS!

aquaholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too many damn lowballers out there setting the prices on our vehicles. as viper owners we need to unite and get the prices back up to where they should be not lowballers i bought this for that pricing!!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too many damn lowballers out there setting the prices on our vehicles. as viper owners we need to unite and get the prices back up to where they should be not lowballers i bought this for that pricing!!

It is not lowballing, it is fair market. Remember, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you doubt this call any Dodge dealer, let alone any Viper speciality dealer and they will tell you the same thing and exactly what these cars are worth. Want a shock, ask them what your trade in value is! As for banning together, yes you can try and get owners to ban together and try to keep values up, but lets be realistic, there is almost no way you are going to get over 25,000 owners to ban together. History proves this never works with anything. There is always going to be owners that do not care about the few more dollars they could have gotten because they sat on the car for an additional 3 or 6 months.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when sony walkman's came out, my dad bought me one for xmas, it was well over $100.

Sad with the economy to see almost everything losing value.

Hope you find the right price and the perfect buyer for your very nice Viper!

aquaholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not lowballing, it is fair market. Remember, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you doubt this call any Dodge dealer, let alone any Viper speciality dealer and they will tell you the same thing and exactly what these cars are worth. Want a shock, ask them what your trade in value is! As for banning together, yes you can try and get owners to ban together and try to keep values up, but lets be realistic, there is almost no way you are going to get over 25,000 owners to ban together. History proves this never works with anything. There is always going to be owners that do not care about the few more dollars they could have gotten because they sat on the car for an additional 3 or 6 months.

afraid to disagree with you! butt the prices i gave him where straight out of the NADA price guide. thats a good start for what a car is worth anything way under that starting point is low balling.of course a car dealer will shoot you low- their job is to get it cheap and sell it high-duh!. you are right about banning together cause some guys really need to sell due to unforeseen circumstances. others, not soo much. i'll hang on to my ACR cause i'll be damned if somebody will get it cheap and brag about how he screwed me!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 186 Ebay listings that ended since December 8th. Only 9 of those cars actually sold. For anyone selling a Viper and wondering why prices are so low I would say look in the mirror to see part of the problem. Why so many sellers ?

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
afraid to disagree with you! butt the prices i gave him where straight out of the NADA price guide. thats a good start for what a car is worth anything way under that starting point is low balling.of course a car dealer will shoot you low- their job is to get it cheap and sell it high-duh!. you are right about banning together cause some guys really need to sell due to unforeseen circumstances. others, not soo much. i'll hang on to my ACR cause i'll be damned if somebody will get it cheap and brag about how he screwed me!

NADA is a good place to start but I think it is very hard for a book or internet guide to be 100% accurate. Any besides, when you purchase a car don't you want the best deal possible? It is all relative. We all would like to buy low and sell high like a dealer but unfortunately with these cars, it is rarely possible. It just goes back to the old saying, we have to pay to play. Life is to short, enjoy it and be happy. :drive: