New Kid here

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lacrosse---I would be wondering what girl I would be taking out on Friday..:)

hahaha, school is for work summer vacation is for fun

I just don't want to be a senior in highschool with no plan, struggling to find a 40k a year job

I've narrowed my choices to optometrist, orthodontist, and M.D.
Also, I won't have a huge house, probably a medium sized house, with an 8 car garage :drive:

Thanks everyone

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha, school is for work summer vacation is for fun

I just don't want to be a senior in highschool with no plan, struggling to find a 40k a year job

I've narrowed my choices to optometrist, orthodontist, and M.D.
Also, I won't have a huge house, probably a medium sized house, with an 8 car garage :drive:

Thanks everyone

Hey man, welcome to the boards.

It's encouraging to see another young person taking the time to think ahead and plan out their dreams. I can tell already by the approach you're taking that you'll be light-years ahead of your class in just a few years.

At risk of dragging out the old soap box, I wanted to give you a little advice as a peer. Just a few years ago I was in high school planning my college and dreaming about Vipers!

Although not everyone will agree with me, the best advice I have to give someone your age is to work while you're in school. Work as much as you possibly can. If you can live at you're folks house, that helps even more. Here's why: The first reason is an obvious math issue. More coming in equals less (if any) to pay back later. The second is also pretty obvious: The more you work while you're in school means the larger resume you'll have when you're finished. In this economy they aren't giving out jobs like candy anymore. With a stacked resume, you'll have a leg up on every other graduate in your field. The third primary reason is a little bit more subtle. Working while you're in school ingrains a strong sense of work ethic in your fiber that you will carry throughout the rest of your life. It makes you a better employee in the long run and is well worth the effort required. Furthermore, if you don't have time to get involved with all the parties, drinking, and other stuff that goes on in a typical college student's life you not only spend a lot less money but also keep from getting ******* in habitually life deprecating practices.

As for living with the folks (depending on where you live and what your situation is) when you don't have to think about where you're going to sleep, what you're going to eat, how you're going to pay for utilities, insurance, maintenance, etc, etc, you have a lot more time to devote to your studies and your job(s). I don't even have to bring up the obvious monetary benefits.

I'll add that a lot of folks strongly disagree with the idea of working your way through college. Many will say that working will take away from your study time and cause your grades to suffer. While this point seems valid at the surface after some observation of my peers, I actually take the opposite approach. The ones who did not work through college typically had enough free time to get wrapped up in the aforementioned typical college student activities. Most of my peers in this condition spent more time in a drunken stupor than I did at work! It was I who got the better grades. "But", I can still hear them say, "You got to live a little right?!? Where's the fun in all that??" My response: I graduated debt free and wrote a check for the one thing I always wanted: A Viper. There's the fun in that!

If you care to know a little bit about my back story you can see my introduction post here.

I'll leave you with one final suggestion. Although I'm a huge supporter of free money (i.e. scholarships), here's a book I wish I had when I was in high school. He offers a very interesting approach to college in terms of money. It's a good read, and well worth your time. It will give you a lot to think about.

Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, or Mooching off My Parents

Good luck and enjoy the ride!! Like I said, by thinking about it I can already tell you're way ahead of your peers. I have no doubt you'll be in a Viper before you realize!

All the best :usa:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the boards.

It's encouraging to see another young person taking the time to think ahead and plan out their dreams. I can tell already by the approach you're taking that you'll be light-years ahead of your class in just a few years.

At risk of dragging out the old soap box, I wanted to give you a little advice as a peer. Just a few years ago I was in high school planning my college and dreaming about Vipers!

Although not everyone will agree with me, the best advice I have to give someone your age is to work while you're in school. Work as much as you possibly can. If you can live at you're folks house, that helps even more. Here's why: The first reason is an obvious math issue. More coming in equals less (if any) to pay back later. The second is also pretty obvious: The more you work while you're in school means the larger resume you'll have when you're finished. In this economy they aren't giving out jobs like candy anymore. With a stacked resume, you'll have a leg up on every other graduate in your field. The third primary reason is a little bit more subtle. Working while you're in school ingrains a strong sense of work ethic in your fiber that you will carry throughout the rest of your life. It makes you a better employee in the long run and is well worth the effort required. Furthermore, if you don't have time to get involved with all the parties, drinking, and other stuff that goes on in a typical college student's life you not only spend a lot less money but also keep from getting ******* in habitually life deprecating practices.

As for living with the folks (depending on where you live and what your situation is) when you don't have to think about where you're going to sleep, what you're going to eat, how you're going to pay for utilities, insurance, maintenance, etc, etc, you have a lot more time to devote to your studies and your job(s). I don't even have to bring up the obvious monetary benefits.

I'll add that a lot of folks strongly disagree with the idea of working your way through college. Many will say that working will take away from your study time and cause your grades to suffer. While this point seems valid at the surface after some observation of my peers, I actually take the opposite approach. The ones who did not work through college typically had enough free time to get wrapped up in the aforementioned typical college student activities. Most of my peers in this condition spent more time in a drunken stupor than I did at work! It was I who got the better grades. "But", I can still hear them say, "You got to live a little right?!? Where's the fun in all that??" My response: I graduated debt free and wrote a check for the one thing I always wanted: A Viper. There's the fun in that!

If you care to know a little bit about my back story you can see my introduction post here.

I'll leave you with one final suggestion. Although I'm a huge supporter of free money (i.e. scholarships), here's a book I wish I had when I was in high school. He offers a very interesting approach to college in terms of money. It's a good read, and well worth your time. It will give you a lot to think about.

Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, or Mooching off My Parents

Good luck and enjoy the ride!! Like I said, by thinking about it I can already tell you're way ahead of your peers. I have no doubt you'll be in a Viper before you realize!

All the best :usa:

It's nice to have support from people like you, I start my "job" tomorrow night... Waking up at 4am to drive around and put paper in mailboxes is something not every high schooler does, it will definitely teach me to be responsible and manage time.

The College I plan to attend for the first 4-8 years(depending in the profession) is actually IN my hometown, so I can live with my parents, then I can go somewhere else for the last (2-4) years, that will save HUGE ammounts of money, not having to pay for my own food, housing. Thanks for the link to that book, I will definitely read that when I get home from school. Haha, I've even gone into my counseling office a few times to ask what I should be doing to prepare myself. In my basement there is a poster that says j"ustification for a higher education", we've had it for like 8 years, and I never knew what it meant when I was younger, I just liked the cars. Then I read it again awhile ago and it really stood out to me

I hope VCA is still around in 13 years :)
thanks

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Lacrosse--
I got a kick out of your math for the various jobs. At my age you realize that things like taxes( fed, state, FICA, Medicare tax) and malpractice insurance alone will cut your income by an easy 50% in the medical field. Consider that with our current national debt, taxes will have to increase significantly which you will be hit with upon graduation in your chosen field. Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to be realistic with you so you don't get disappointed.--Dave

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, I took taxes and retirement into account mentally,
it's even more of a reason to
get a high paying job

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think paper routes are great for a kids first job. It teaches many of the basics of running a small business. People rely on you, and if you don't perform - you don't get paid - now that's incentive. Keeping a schedule and getting up early - now that's reliability. Understanding that the faster you are - the more money you make per hour - that's efficiency. Engaging in communication with all different sorts of customers - from weirdos to high profile businessmen - thats real life communication and personal interaction skills. Heck, when I was 12 I actually started reading the papers I was delivering - learning about politics, current events, finance - wow, that really seperates you from those who read comic books....lol. I'm not sure if nowadays the customers pay for the newspaper monthly online or still pay you cash- but back in the day I had to collect the money, do the math and accounting, remit the owings, keep the profit, chase down bad debts...etc. etc.
You can probably learn more about business by owning a paper route than by studying for a whole year in school....apologies to those who have business degrees ;)

jmbaileyniu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two comments:
1. Do not choose a career based on money. Showing up to work and being miserable is no way to live (Even if you own 10 vipers). Try to make a compromise and find a job that YOU will like that pays decent. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and set YOUR worth = How much MONEY you make. You will only be disappointed if you do so.

2. College is about SOOOOO much more than just coursework. The social experiences, lifelong friends, and life lessons (such as how to live and make decisions on your own) mean so much more as a package. Don't live at home with your parents just to save a few bucks because you will miss out on EVERYTHING besides the coursework. The "college" experience will develop you and encourage personal growth. It is also a good networking tool. I used the "college" experience to network and land a coop at my current workplace for $23.50/hour while IN COLLEGE. Coops/Internships are also great ways to see if you will like doing that full time. Companies also want to see a well rounded individual that participated in leadership activities in college.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking in :) haven't been around in a while.
Next year I signed up for a pharmacy tech class, basically it teachs you everything you need to know to become apharmacy technician. After you finish the class you take a test and if you pass, your a nationally recognized pharmacy technician, and can start making 45,000 right out of high school.

And as for living with my parents... The university is maybe 7 miles away, at the most. And I'd rather live at home than pay an extra $2,000 a semester for boarding.

(that's $16,000 by the time I get my bachelors)

I may be 16 but I have a secret weapon for getting into medical school.
It's a website called MCAT a day... Every day they have a different MCAT (the ACT of medical schooling basically) question you can answer. If you get it wrong it gives you an explanation why.
I'm surprised with how well I've been doing on it, even with my somewhat limited knowledge.

Sample Question I got right using basic reasoning:

Which of the following transports glucose from the intestines to the liver?

(a) Hepatic portal
(b) Hepatic vein
(c) Hepatic artery
(d) Superior mesenteric artery

MCAT Question a Day

The answer is A.

Last edited: