New Kid here

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Im lacrosse, this is a partial intro/question thread for me

How old were you guys when you bought your first vipers?
who is the YOUNGEST viper owner on here?
How bad is the insurance?
:bdh:
Im, 16:omg: by the way, 17 on friday I dont have any intentions to buy a viper SOON so dont start saying things like "holy crap dude, your too young for something that cool/powerful", im gaining info for the future for when I do purchase a viper.
Do any of you use your viper as your DD?

Also, dont be like, woah dude you realize a 1994 RT-10 goes for 20-35k? like I said, im learning, and saving, I've got ~8k banked

thanks,
Lacrosse

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's kewl you are holding on to the dream and working to make it happen! I can think of a few things in my life where I wanted them bad enough I was willing to do and sacrafice just about anything to get it.

I was 45 when I got my first and only Viper. I've put 45K miles on it in 5 yrs, last 2 years have been mostly at the track and events with the local VCA, I have a Camry as a dd. There's some guys on here in their 20's.

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 and I just bought my first viper a couple days ago. But I have been working my butt off since I've been 15 everyday till early hours in the morning. I opened my own buisness last year a few weeks after my 18th birthday and work 12pm-1am 6 days a week and have been VERY lucky to have such a succesful buisness. BUT I have never taken out a loan in my life or gotten help from anyone else, and I paid for my viper all cash.

But insurance with state farm is $1500/6 months, full coverage and AAA is $56 a year or so. But don't expect your quote to be that low, I've been with state farm since my first car (a $400 96 Mustang)

And as far as DD goes, it is not a car you can drive in ANY kind or snow, and in rain you have to know how to drive (not something I would recommend a 16 year old do) but I gained a lot of expiernce from driving my mustang in winter when I was 16. And I plan on DD mine as often as I can when the roads are snow free.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 and I just bought my first viper a couple days ago. But I have been working my butt off since I've been 15 everyday till early hours in the morning. I opened my own buisness last year a few weeks after my 18th birthday and work 12pm-1am 6 days a week and have been VERY lucky to have such a succesful buisness. BUT I have never taken out a loan in my life or gotten help from anyone else, and I paid for my viper all cash.

But insurance with state farm is $1500/6 months, full coverage and AAA is $56 a year or so. But don't expect your quote to be that low, I've been with state farm since my first car (a $400 96 Mustang)
And as far as DD goes, it is not a car you can drive in ANY kind or snow, and in rain you have to know how to drive (not something I would recommend a 16 year old do) but I gained a lot of expiernce from driving my mustang in winter when I was 16. And I plan on DD mine as often as I can when the roads are snow free.

yea I don't want to take out a loan either but I'm almost 17 and when I have enough saved I'll be like 20 so, ya

also, I currently have a fwd Pontiac with snows I could use in winter, it is my current DD

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I might take out 500 and open an etrade account, invest in penny stocks, the worst that happens is I'm out 500, best case scenario, I have my viper within a year :p

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the VCA webboards. You will like it here. Alot of good people and alot of info.

Second off, thanks for having an interest in a Viper and not a vette. :hail:

Thirdly, no. You are not too young. I started saving when I was 11 and got my car at 21. It for sure can be done if you set your mind to it and don't let the negative people of the world tell you it is something you can't or should not do. If it is a dream of yours, put both feet in and do not look back!

As for ages, there are many that have wondered the same thing. There is many younger folks on this site. Here are three threads that will help you:

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/549646-youngest-viper-owners-please-reply.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...28556-who-youngest-people-here-own-viper.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/615585-what-age-viper-owner.html
Feel free to ask as many questions as you want! For instant gratification, try a few key words to your question into the search feature. You will find enough info there to give you reading material till you are ready to purchase a Viper!:yay:

Have a great day and again, welcome to the funny farm!

Robert

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh crap, I'm 15 turning 16, not 16-17
heh, oops

anyways, it seems there are a few kids on those threads that got theirs at 17-21 ish

So yea it IS doable I guess

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now would be a good time for you to start figuring out career paths if you want to have a viper. They aren't cheap cars, and with rising gas prices not many people can actually drive them enough to enjoy them properly.

I am 25 about to turn 26 and finally got my 2006 Viper, blue w/ white stripe First Edition.

Other cars in the past:
89 Corsica <- Wrecked. But bought car with intentions of learning how to drive, so it worked out fine
04 Neon SXT < - Sold
02 Mustang GT ( heavily modded, 400 HP N/A, 600 w/ Nitrous ) < - Kept for DD
07 Dodge Magnum SXT < - Traded in toward Viper

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool... Keep your eye on the prize but honestly a Viper could be a headache for a 17 year old especially if you plan to have it as your only car... Pick up a good ****** to have some fun in addition to the Viper if you can swing it. You'll want to keep the Viper garaged too... Best of luck... be safe and have fun. Keep life's other priorities in order as well...

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now would be a good time for you to start figuring out career paths if you want to have a viper. They aren't cheap cars, and with rising gas prices not many people can actually drive them enough to enjoy them properly.

I am 25 about to turn 26 and finally got my 2006 Viper, blue w/ white stripe First Edition.

Other cars in the past:
89 Corsica <- Wrecked. But bought car with intentions of learning how to drive, so it worked out fine
04 Neon SXT < - Sold
02 Mustang GT ( heavily modded, 400 HP N/A, 600 w/ Nitrous ) < - Kept for DD
07 Dodge Magnum SXT < - Traded in toward Viper

My career path will be something medical, M.D., Optometrist, Orthodontist, orthopedist, something along the lines, I have a nack for health/biology/chemistry classes

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My career path will be something medical, M.D., Optometrist, Orthodontist, orthopedist, something along the lines, I have a nack for health/biology/chemistry classes

With the cost of that schooling you'll be lucky to afford a civic! :p

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first people I started talking to about Vipers before I owned one was an 18 year old from the States. I thought Wow that's pretty young for owning a Viper - but god knows I would have bought one at 18 if I could have afforded it. But in a way, its a good thing I couldn't afford one at 18. I would have killed myself. I'm serious. Pursue your dreams but keep your head on straight and your testosterone in check. These cars can and will kill you. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cost of that schooling you'll be lucky to afford a civic! :p
it might end up going 2 ways

option 1: Yay, scholarships, time to buy a viper
option 2: dang, no scholarships, time to drop 30k on school so I can afford a viper later in life

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By what I am reading here, do look after your education first. I know it seems like forever and a day, but when you finish school, you will have the funds to have 10 Vipers.

As mentioned above, if you are going to school (even with a scolarship) there will be certain expenses that will need to be covered. A Viper does not make a great dd in the snow belt. They have enough traction issues in the summer! As that's the case, a dd will be needed. Now just think insurance. You may have saved the required funds to purchase the car, but do you have the funds to cover insurance, maintainace, gas, etc for TWO vehicles? Insurance as a young guy is tough. Do you have the ways and means to pull off $5000ish a year for Insurance? I know when I first got the car to have put it in my name would have been $7500 a year!!:omg: That is not a typo either and that is just for ONE car! I still had my dd to insure.

Just food for thought. I fully support your following your dreams. Achieving ones dreams is what makes us who we are regardless of what that dream is. One thing I do know though. The longer you wait, the more you will appreciate it when you get it!

Robert

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to agree with the other posters. Set a goal for having a Viper and you'll reach your goal. But don't set your goal too early or you might find yourself in either financial issues, or dissapointment.

I wanted 1 since the 4th grade when they were doing book fair type thing and I was going through all of the car posters instead of picking out books. There was a picture of a red Viper that just made me think "Wow this is a cool looking car" having no idea at that point what a Viper actually was. The next 2 years in a row from school book fairs I ended up getting 2 more posters, completely by accident, they too were more Vipers, differently years and body styles.

When I got older and looked up what a Viper was, I knew it was going to take some planning to actually own 1. My original goal was Viper by 30, ended up cutting it short to Viper at 25. I personally think anything younger than 25 is going to be hard because of insurance alone.

But with the education path you want, you are already in the right career path direction to have a Viper once you get settled into a job. One thing to be sure of though, make sure you wreck another car before buying a fast car. The chances of getting into a car accident isn't as unlikely as people wish to believe. I've totalled a car and consider myself a good driver. Many of my friends that drive a lot have also totattled at least 1 car. If I would of tried to get a Viper as 1 of my first vehicles, I don't think I'd still be driving it today.

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got an 04 when I was 22 and now have an 06 coupe and I'm 24. I would definitely get a few years of driving under my belt before I even thought of jumping into a car like this. They can be a handful and turn dangerous quick.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm back, because I got a job, a legitamite job

Paper boy (the pay is amazing, so now that I have income I'm car shopping again)

anyways, I've kind of narrowed down my choices to 2

v6 camaro and viper
just weighing my options at the moment

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted a viper from the time I was about 8 years old. I saved my ass off and was the "biggest tight ***" all through high school and college. I'm 26 and have no loan on my snake. Oh yeah, insurance is $60/month!

I'd buy a Rustang or an LS1 Camaro honestly, then once you graduate college treat yourself to something you've been waiting for.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted a viper from the time I was about 8 years old. I saved my ass off and was the "biggest tight ***" all through high school and college. I'm 26 and have no loan on my snake. Oh yeah, insurance is $60/month!

I'd buy a Rustang or an LS1 Camaro honestly, then once you graduate college treat yourself to something you've been waiting for.

Oh yeah I forgot to put "2010" infront of the v6 camaro

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome, I bought my Viper when I was 25yrs old and I'm glad I didn't get one when I was younger. The Viper needs a mature :drive:, these cars can kill ya and fast. Keep your eye on the prize, it will definitly be worth it. My Dakota R/T keep me preoccupied while I was younger. But being a Viper owner is so cool, ok...........I'll stop. Keep up the hard work.:)

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha, yeah, you can get into trouble with no abs or esc

I turn my traction control off when I drive my pontiac, not like it does anything though, the speedo only goes to 110 :( haha

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 06 Coupe about a month ago I am 25 right now, If your options are a V6 Camaro or a Viper....GO WITH THE CAMARO you will hurt yourself or someone else in the Viper!! I thought I knew how to drive decent as I own 6 cars right now and one of those is an 8 second 1200HP monster BUT I had to relearn how to drive in this car....Read the How to be safe in a Viper threads please before you make any decisions.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I need career advice

I'm still young and can make something of my life...

I'm not going to ask how much everyone makes(unless you feel comfortable sharing, lol) a year
but, what I'm looking at is medical, like I said before

optometrist- 8 years, $120,000 a year
M.D. - 13 years, $230,000 a year
orthodontist - 11 years, $230,000 a year
surgeon - 15 years, $350,000 a year
anesthesiologist - 15 years, $400,000 a year

18+8=26; 18+11=29; 18+13=31; 18+15=33...
so 26-33 when I'm done with school I'll have ~$150,000-$300,000 in debt
so assuming I buy a house and get married, but don't have kids, I should be debt free... 3-5 years...

So at age 31-38 I'll have money to spend, viper + gallardo? Lol

alright though

weighing my options...

optometrist- less money, less debt, less schooling
md/orthodontist- kind of inbetween, more schooling/debt
surgeon/anesth.- way more school, way more debt, wayyy more money

alright

help me decide
optometrist, surgeon, MD, anesthesiologist, orthodontist, or other?

I love human anatomy and biology, I have no idea why, so no I'm not doing this just for the money

so, which job would be best for me?

We should rename this

"help me determine my future"

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can make $144,000 a year being a professional dog walker if you work every day 8 hours a day walking multiple dogs at once.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I need career advice

I'm still young and can make something of my life...

I'm not going to ask how much everyone makes(unless you feel comfortable sharing, lol) a year
but, what I'm looking at is medical, like I said before

optometrist- 8 years, $120,000 a year
M.D. - 13 years, $230,000 a year
orthodontist - 11 years, $230,000 a year
surgeon - 15 years, $350,000 a year
anesthesiologist - 15 years, $400,000 a year

18+8=26; 18+11=29; 18+13=31; 18+15=33...
so 26-33 when I'm done with school I'll have ~$150,000-$300,000 in debt
so assuming I buy a house and get married, but don't have kids, I should be debt free... 3-5 years...

So at age 31-38 I'll have money to spend, viper + gallardo? Lol

alright though

weighing my options...

optometrist- less money, less debt, less schooling
md/orthodontist- kind of inbetween, more schooling/debt
surgeon/anesth.- way more school, way more debt, wayyy more money

alright

help me decide
optometrist, surgeon, MD, anesthesiologist, orthodontist, or other?

I love human anatomy and biology, I have no idea why, so no I'm not doing this just for the money

so, which job would be best for me?

We should rename this

"help me determine my future"

There are pros and cons for any job. You are going to have to do your reseach for what YOU want. I didn't know what I wanted to do after HS so I did some odd jobs for a couple years then joined the Air Force. 10 years, separated as an E-5 with an associates degree. I volunteered for everything I could while in the service. A lot of other people contributed to my success, I didn't get here all by myself. I surrounded myself with successful people. I ran with a smart crowd. Keep a positive additude in everything you do. Stay open minded and have a backup plan. You might get a year or two into medical school and realize it's not for you. On a reality check, just because you love something, even if you don't know why, does not make you good at it even if you aren't doing it for the money. Saying you aren't doing it for the money but throwing down a lot of figures related to money, age and time really sounds like you're in it for the money. No one cares why you're in it, and no one cares if it is for the money. Vipers are not cheap. When you graduate from medical school and join the Peace Corp or Doctors Without Borders then I will believe you are not in it for the money.
I have many reasons I'm doing what I do. The money plays a big part. I don't love nor dislike what I do, but it pays well. In this economy it's a good idea to do what youre good at, what will bring in the most for your effort. You're a fool if you determine your future based on job suggestions you will get on a car forum.
You're young, have fun and make smart decissions. Life will happen. Set realistic goals and obtain them. You'll know when it's time for a Viper. That time came for all of us.

OP
OP
L

Lacrosse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what I was trying to say was in not doing it ONLY for the money, so like, finding the highest paying career and going for that just because
I actually do like this kind of stuff, I got an A in Anatomy and Physiology, had an A in Biology all three Trimesters, A in Honors Physics and Honors Chemisrty. Next year I'm taking a Health Professions class, and either a CNA class or a Pharmacy Tech class

thanks for the help guys

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what I was trying to say was in not doing it ONLY for the money, so like, finding the highest paying career and going for that just because
I actually do like this kind of stuff, I got an A in Anatomy and Physiology, had an A in Biology all three Trimesters, A in Honors Physics and Honors Chemisrty. Next year I'm taking a Health Professions class, and either a CNA class or a Pharmacy Tech class
thanks for the help guys

Lacrosse, I have no doubt in you, I'm glad you are here. You already have a goal of what you want and an idea of what you want to do to get it. Success starts with a good plan. Map out your future and map it out several possible ways that you will be satisfied with. There many very successful people on this site, "surround yourself with successful people". Stick around, be engaging in the forums and learn as much as you can while you're patiently waiting for your first Viper purchase. You came to the right place. Everyone on here has their own story. You're working on making yours, make it a good one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets