1998 PCV Valve?

willbell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 1998 have PCV valve? If so where is it? Thought it was by the thermostat housing but I don't see it there.
Thanks

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, its there in front of the tstat. Look at the front of the intakemanifold. There is a hose from both sides T`ing in the middle at the pcv valve.

If your planning on replacing it might want to do the gromet&hose that connects it to the valley as well as the hose might crack when you try to remove the pcvvalve and the gromet connection can get leaky. Look between the snakes behind the tstat with a flashlight to check that out.

OP
OP
W

willbell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the upper intake off and can see the gromet there is no pcv valve in the gromet just a plastic fitting then it splits to both sides of the intake

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the upper intake off and can see the gromet there is no pcv valve in the gromet just a plastic fitting then it splits to both sides of the intake

pics would help...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Other than Gen-1, Its not actually a PCV. The older Gen-2 Vipers have a breather system based on orifice size. There is no valve. The ****** in the grommet under the manifold has nothing inside of it. The only Vipers with PCV's other than Gen-1 are the Gen-4's, and it is screwed into the passenger side valve cover.

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might consider getting rid of it and using a vented "catch can"....:dunno:

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might consider getting rid of it and using a vented "catch can"....:dunno:

I’m considering an air-oil catch can too.

Vent to air or vented to the intake manifold....
Include venting the rocker covers or not....
Decisions decisions!!! Yours to make.
Quite a lot of people seem to be doing it though – 1st class write up by ViperTony in illustrated upgrades.
I guess it comes down to what you wanna get out of doing it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan. Looking at my 1997 it has a pcv valve where I described.

Also, I see it in the parts diagram which can be viewed from the illustrated upgrades section for any skeptics.

Add to that I called the Wizard to order replacment parts for mine and he sent me the hose/gromet/valve that i am talking about.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan is correct...there is no actual 'valve', it's just a tee fitting. Earlier Vipers have it in plugged into the grommet. My 2001, as illustrated in my DIY, does not.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what causes confusion from some of the answers above.
This is from the 97-98 parts catalog. Perhaps it is wrong or misleading ?

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 1997 1998 show a PCV Valve in the parts diagrams.

1999 and up do Not, Only show a teefitting/orifice like Dan described.

The OP is saying that his 1998 does not have a PVC which leads me to believe that this was a mid-year change. Perhaps the GK or Wizard can confirm and elaborate on the reason for the change.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a couple pics from my 1997 as well as my spare parts:

1997PCV1.JPG

1997PCV3.JPG

1997PCV2.JPG

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OP is saying that his 1998 does not have a PVC which leads me to believe that this was a mid-year change. Perhaps the GK or Wizard can confirm and elaborate on the reason for the change.

Or, it was removed? :dunno: Agreed, Wizard or GK can confirm. Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmm... I suppose it is possible that the 96-97's have a PCV, and the 98+ do not, as it may be a carry-over from Gen-1 or something similar to that as far as the years go. I can count on one hand the number of 96-97 cars I have come across over the years, and never did any engine work to any of them. But at the same time, I have bought plenty of Gen-2 engines over the yeas, some of which were 96-97's, and never noticed a PCV on them.

Possible they were removed on mine, or possible they were added on others? Mid-Year change?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '99 had one. I had to remove it when I installed my Roe blower system. Now whether it was a an actual valve or just a fitting with no guts, I can't say for sure because I didn't inspect it closely. However, it was part of the PCV system.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After looking through some files... it appears as if the change might have come along with the creampuff cars. Also, it looks like there may have been two PCV locations over the years, which explains all of the discrepancies.